Author Topic: League Execs: Predict Cavs will do Kevin Love S&T  (Read 5429 times)

Re: League Execs: Predict Cavs will do Kevin Love S&T
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 10:26:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
The Cavs desperately need a floor-stretching big man.  The spacing between Thompson and Mozgov was atrocious, and it directly hurt Lebron's game.

Well......I know just where they can get a deal on. Blonde 7ft .....dude just like you describe .

Let's hook em up

Swap out .

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 10:34:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If I'm the cavaliers GM, I trade Love, This years first and others to try and get Cousins.

Kyrie
Shumpert
Lebron
Thompson
Cousins

Smh

Love can reject that offer if he doesn't want to play for the Kings.

But does the Cavaliers GM actually know that?

Remember, the dude in Denver tried to sign Faried to a contract that was illegal under the CBA. It's not necessarily a given.

Not sure what you mean but I was under the impression the player needed to agree to the sign and trade in order for it to happen.

In other words if Love didn't want to go to that swamp of a team in Sacramento, then he wouldn't agree to a sign and trade.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 10:35:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The Cavs desperately need a floor-stretching big man.  The spacing between Thompson and Mozgov was atrocious, and it directly hurt Lebron's game.

Well......I know just where they can get a deal on. Blonde 7ft .....dude just like you describe .

Let's hook em up

Swap out .

Lol, the Cavs agreeing to trade Love for Olynyk would be beyond hilarious.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 10:48:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
And why would Love agree to help the Cavs by agreeing to a sign and trade?

It would be in his interests to do so if he wants to sign a max contract with a team that doesn't have the cap space to sign him (or has reasons for not wanting to use cap space).
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If I'm the cavaliers GM, I trade Love, This years first and others to try and get Cousins.

Kyrie
Shumpert
Lebron
Thompson
Cousins

Smh

Love can reject that offer if he doesn't want to play for the Kings.

But does the Cavaliers GM actually know that?

Remember, the dude in Denver tried to sign Faried to a contract that was illegal under the CBA. It's not necessarily a given.

Not sure what you mean but I was under the impression the player needed to agree to the sign and trade in order for it to happen.

In other words if Love didn't want to go to that swamp of a team in Sacramento, then he wouldn't agree to a sign and trade.

Correct, but the funny part was that the idea was based on "if I were the Cavs GM" and I had this image of the CLE GM coming up with an S&T and telling Love only to have Love's agent be all "uhhhhh Can't do that."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 11:48:17 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Olynyk would make some sense for them, and so would Bradley. Bradley is really a better version of Shump, and though he loses some in size, he's a much better shooter and better defender than Shump. KO is a perfect bench big for them to stretch the floor. Bradley, KO, and salary filler if we must go sign and trade route? I'd much prefer to just sign him outright, though.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 01:06:51 AM »

Offline McNoob

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
The Celts don't need to give up assets for Love. He's an unrestricted free agent and they got the cap space to sign him. The only reason Love would be involved in a S&T is if he wants to join a team without cap space.

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 01:19:54 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A Love S&T would theoretically allow the Celtics to retain all trade exceptions and Bird rights to free agents.  Would the assets that the Celtics would have to send out for Love equal the value of those things?  Maybe not.

What if Olynyk and Sullinger plus picks (or the draft rights to picks) go out in sign-and-trades for Love and a second player who fits into the Rondo trade exception (a solid starting center?), while the Celtics retain the ability to give competitive offers for contracts to Bass, Jerebko, Crowder, and maybe Datome, with enough room under the apron to use the full MLE (a wing who is an upgrade on Turner, perhaps)?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 01:21:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
A Love S&T would theoretically allow the Celtics to retain all trade exceptions and Bird rights to free agents.  Would the assets that the Celtics would have to send out for Love equal the value of those things?  Maybe not.

What if Olynyk and Sullinger plus picks (or the draft rights to picks) go out in sign-and-trades for Love and a second player who fits into the Rondo trade exception (a solid starting center?), while the Celtics retain the ability to give competitive offers for contracts to Bass, Jerebko, Crowder, and maybe Datome, with enough room under the apron to use the full MLE (a wing who is an upgrade on Turner, perhaps)?

Then I spend the rest of the season watching by boxscore so I don't have to watch a team that features Turner and Love on the same squad.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Love potentially available via Sign and Trade per Lowe/Grantland
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »

Offline InBradWeTrust

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-finalists-how-to-make-a-sequel/

Would have to pay him AND give up assets - but it does make sense to me that the Cavs move on from Love this offseason and you'd think the Celtics would certainly be in the mix.

Edit to Add more concise summary - the grantland article is long and ranging

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/report-cavs-looking-to-sign-and-trade-kevin-love-this-summer-062315

Re: Love potentially available via Sign and Trade per Lowe/Grantland
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Might see Lakers involve in this if they cant get Cousins..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Love potentially available via Sign and Trade per Lowe/Grantland
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Might see Lakers involve in this if they cant get Cousins..

Lakers can't offer anything via sign/trade

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 10:33:53 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Does anyone know what the max salary for Love would be if he signed as a free agent vs what it would be if he re-signed with the Cavs as part of a sign and trade?  I believe it is 1-2 million more if re-signs and would get a 5 year vs. 4 year contract. 

It seems to me it would be in Love's best interest to take slightly less by opting out and signing directly with another team.  It's a little less financially, but his new team will be better off as they won't have to give up assets for him.  And couldn't he request an opt out after 1 or 2 seasons and re-sign at a larger amount anyway?

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is pretty much nonsense since all the teams that have been linked to Love have the cap space to sign him outright.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »

Offline InBradWeTrust

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
Saw a thread in reddit recently where they explored the max salaries of various free agents and potential free agents.

Looks like Love with 5th year to the Cavaliers would be a total value of about 107 million, versus just under 80 million if he signs with a new club outright.

About 3/4 down you can find the details - warning LOTS OF MATH

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2t4bq5/max_salaries_for_the_top_2015_free_agents_with/