Author Topic: Fantastic new article about Len Bias/Celtics  (Read 15092 times)

Fantastic new article about Len Bias/Celtics
« on: June 19, 2015, 07:06:22 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
http://www.celticslife.com/2015/06/a-night-to-never-forget-personal.html

In it the author discusses with John Morgan, whom was the head of the basketball division at Reebok at the time and was very connected to two things Celtics-related that day: Len visiting Reebok's offices during the day and then making it over to the celebratory party at night for Reebok's other two clients, Dennis Johnson and Danny Ainge.

And I leave you with highlights of the dominate force, that could have recreated NBA and American sports history; Leonard Kevin "Len" Bias

https://youtu.be/gDQnsK6bpPM

Re: Fantastic new article about Len Bias/Celtics
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:23:55 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
The least you can say about him is that he could jump. wow

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:46:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I was borin in 1988, so Bias died before I was even born. There's no real way for me to have a connection to Bias or any of those Celtics teams from the 80's (or even the 90's, I became a fan during the '01-02 season) but somehow I still find myself thinking about Len Bias once in a while.

I think about the '87 team that ran out of gas (and healthy players) in the Finals and how much Bias would've helped. The worst is every time I read a "Best Teams Ever" article and it lists the '87 Lakers. The Celtics with Bias most definitely would've beaten them. How does that change the legacy of Bird? Magic? McHale's feet? The Reggie Lewis years?

Bias was the domino that changes the Celtics and the NBA during the 90's. It's so insane to me that he died when he did, the way he did.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:52:10 PM »

Online sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
We had Magic vs Bird. Just imagine what we missed with Jordan vs Bias.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 04:24:21 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
No other franchise in any pro sport has ever absorbed losses like the Celtics did when Len Bias and then Reggie Lewis died. It's no wonder we took so long to recover.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 05:04:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
No other franchise in any pro sport has ever absorbed losses like the Celtics did when Len Bias and then Reggie Lewis died. It's no wonder we took so long to recover.

Even though we won it in 2008 and were contenders for a few years afterwards, I'd argue that we never recovered from the passing of Bias and Lewis.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 05:11:11 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I was borin in 1988, so Bias died before I was even born. There's no real way for me to have a connection to Bias or any of those Celtics teams from the 80's (or even the 90's, I became a fan during the '01-02 season) but somehow I still find myself thinking about Len Bias once in a while.

I think about the '87 team that ran out of gas (and healthy players) in the Finals and how much Bias would've helped. The worst is every time I read a "Best Teams Ever" article and it lists the '87 Lakers. The Celtics with Bias most definitely would've beaten them. How does that change the legacy of Bird? Magic? McHale's feet? The Reggie Lewis years?

Bias was the domino that changes the Celtics and the NBA during the 90's. It's so insane to me that he died when he did, the way he did.

Great post, I was around back then--and you are right on the money...The '87 Celtics had so many injuries--but they played with all the heart and guts of the Champions they were...Really too bad-because if they were healthy, they would have won that title---The 1985 Lakers were better than the 1987 Lakers--but those Best Ever lists always list the "87 team--nonsense....IF we had replay in those days, Magic would not have hit that Junior Sky Hook--Because the Review would have given the Ball back to the Celtics on the "Missed Kareem FT--ball out of bounds" play---Mychal Thompson actually hit the ball out of bounds, going over McHale's back---but Ref Earl Strom (I think) automatically gave the ball to L.A.--Then Magic hits that hook shot.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

You might want to watch these clips -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKfWrlnFHis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vcvRJeIZu4

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

Even though we won it in 2008 and were contenders for a few years afterwards, I'd argue that we never recovered from the passing of Bias and Lewis.

Bias and Lewis going against Jordan and Pippen---would have been epic....I believe that Reggie Lewis was the only player in NBA history to Block Jordan's shot 4 times in one game...and Pippen would have had his hands full--trying to guard Len Bias.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 06:15:21 PM »

Offline Behaviorla

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
As a Celtics fan! I don't see how anyone could look back on Bias positively.  He is not a hero or a martyr.  What appeared to be One of Red Auerbach's greatest heists by dealing Gerald Henderson to the Sonics for their #1 turned out to be the overall number 2.  Sadly, the Cavs took Brad Daugherty(who would have been amazing in Celtic Green) and we got stuck with Bias whose cocaine use put him in a casket days later.  ESPN's 30 for 30 best explains the events and the choices that Bias  and his Maryland teammates made that ended his life.  Red Auerbach's book Let Me Tell You a Story further explains the impact of the event on Red and on the Celtics as a whole.

If Brooklyn's number one pick next year results in the Celtics picking #2 in the 2016 draft, let's hope Ben Simmons or Skal Labissiere have the character to match their talent which Len Bias lacked

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Well that and we had some pretty incompetent management after Bird's retirement. If the Celtics had a good front office in the 90s things wouldn't have been as bad as they were post Bias and Lewis.

Nonetheless, Bias and Lewis would have ushered in another great era of Celtics basketball in the 90s. In some alternate universe somewhere, I'm sure Bias and Lewis lived and put the Celtics above 20+ banners, and of course if we're going to talk about fantasies, the Celtics were one pick away from getting Joe Dumars in 1985. Imagine those three together.

On the plus side, Bias' and Lewis' death convinced a lot of young men out there to never try cocaine. Their deaths may have very well saved a lot of lives.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 06:51:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Thanks for the article!!

As a C's fan, it is unquestionable that the Celtics-Lakers championship totals would be different today had Bias lived or had the Cavaliers taken him instead of Daugherty at #1. 

Some things are very different today than in 1987.  No internet, no cell phones. Cable TV was in its early days.  Cocaine was very accessible to young people and was utilized massively as a recreational drug for college age and twenty-somethings at that time.  It was expensive, but a group of kids could pitch in and everyone would be able to share in a small amount.  It was a social thing for us -- using it every once in a while -- buying a little to use sparingly over the course of an hour or so.   I was introduced to it in college in 1977-78 and stopped on the day Len Bias died.

On the day he died, I thought about a couple of times that I had used cocaine (again, in small amounts shared with a group of friends).  You never really knew what you were getting, finding it at parties or through people you discovered at bars/clubs.   Because the white poweder could be easily mixed with other powders, the "cocaine" that I used was probably not much actual cocaine -- always cut with something cheap that mimicked some of cocaine's effects.  A couple of times there must have been significant amount of amphetamine/speed mixed in because with the small amounts I used, I remember feeling later on like my heart was going to pound out of my chest.   Again, I didn't use a lot because I couldn't afford a lot.  If I had used even a little more there is no telling what it would have done to my heart.  How incredibly stupid I was. 

From 1977 to 1987, I would guess that my friends and I probably pooled some money together for this purpose about 50 times (5 times a year sounds about right).  While none of my good friends ever ventured deeper into more regular or more extensive use or habit, I saw a number of acquaintances fall heavily into it.  It was a stupid horrible trap -- ridiculously easily accessible and we were too ignorant to understand the dangers of it.  It was just for fun and (it seemed to us) "everyone was doing it" (though I know not everyone was).

Anyway, I've always believed that the day Len Bias died was the day that millions of stupid twenty-somethings in America (maybe around the world) like me, stopped.   On that day, that era of my life (and many of my friend's lives) ended.  I realize that Bias' death didn't mark the end of drug use in America, but I believe that at least for a period of time, his death shocked the world of middle class 'thought-we-were-cool' recreational users into reality.   My friends and I never once spoke of pooling in for cocaine again. 

So his death undoubtedly caused a Celtics championship drought that otherwise would not have happened -- but I believe his death also saved the lives of many young men and women of that generation.    Unfortunately and not surprisingly, his death has proven less impactful to future generations than it should have been.  His death was a terribly sad loss of someone who should have had the chance to grow from a fine young man into a wonderful adult.   

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
TP to neurotic guy.

I had been ecstatic about the selection. When I went to work someone mentioned that he had died. I couldn't believe it and my jaw must have dropped a foot. I was stunned. It was the beginning of the end, with McHale's foot, Larry's back, and the death of Reggie Lewis we went from being the most dominant team in the history of the NBA by a wide margin to a fond memory.

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
You might want to watch these clips -
Oh yeah, I've seen those.

The number of things that happen differently if Len Bias lived is mind boggling. I can't even do it. Bird talks about retiring early but what if he loved playing with Bias? What if Bias had made things easier for Bird and he wanted to stick around longer? What if Bird's early retirement meant the team went in the tank for a year, picked up another star, and built a new Big 3 is Bias, Lewis, and this other, theoretical, ball player and the 90's were great?

There's too much.. Just too much.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
http://www.celticslife.com/2015/06/a-night-to-never-forget-personal.html

In it the author discusses with John Morgan, whom was the head of the basketball division at Reebok at the time and was very connected to two things Celtics-related that day: Len visiting Reebok's offices during the day and then making it over to the celebratory party at night for Reebok's other two clients, Dennis Johnson and Danny Ainge.

And I leave you with highlights of the dominate force, that could have recreated NBA and American sports history; Leonard Kevin "Len" Bias

https://youtu.be/gDQnsK6bpPM

I guess it's good that Len Bias's death was so long ago that you can use his name on your avatar and discuss what if's and alternate universe Celtics history.

I remember the day that Len Bias died.  Thinking about it again just fills me with incredible sadness a young man dying because of stupid choices.

Sorry but it's just "too soon" for me.