Author Topic: James Young article  (Read 12372 times)

Re: James Young article
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So he is almost 230lbs now? 

6-7 height, 7-0 wingspan, 8-8 standing reach. 230lbs.

That is a legit size for a SF. His perimeter shooting would be a major asset at SF. Not many shooters of that caliber (volume & accuracy) at that position who can defend their position competently.

Good for him if true, but I'll have to see the 230lbs to believe it. He looked barely 200lbs soaking wet last year - I know that player heights are often exaggerated, but I also think that some of these 'thinner' rookies are exaggerated to make them sound more powerful.

I have no doubt he is working hard to improve his shape, conditioning, and game, though - I love to seeing him working at it rather than just talking about it.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 09:01:10 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
one of the hidden benefits of the playoff experience on rookies -just the intensity and extent physical play must have been an awakening even from the bench-nothing like a good dose of playoff basketball after the run the celts made with gigi getting his time -no wonder hes working now-

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 09:04:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He's still going to have to prove that he can play defense which has nothing to do with his amount of muscle or how high he can jump. He has to prove that mentally he can pick up the defense, know when to switch, know how to read the ball flow, know how to contest without fouling, and be able to give the effort needed to succeed on that end of the court.

Neither Young's athleticism, vertical leap, size nor offense kept him off the floor last year. It was his atrocious defense and lack of ability to learn how to play the defense Stevens required. That's all mental acuity and effort.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Wow, that was a great article. I've always thought the idea of using Young as a trade chip this summer was dependent on how much DA and CBS like his potential and the work ethic he's been showing to get there. By the sounds of that article, they REALLY like his potential. And while DA will certainly trade anyone, that made me think it won't be Young this summer unless a great deal comes along.

I'm really impressed. Adding 15 pounds of muscle while trimming off body fat over the span of just one season is really good. Young needed to bulk up so he could manage to not got destroyed by the better SF's in this league and getting that done already is a huge step. If He can be a passable defender, his offensive skills could actually fill one of our biggest holes at the 3. Crowder is a perfect compliment for him.

If James Young comes back next season THAT improved, the playoff push was worth it. You can't tell me that being a part of that squad next to guys with supreme work ethics like Smart, Bradley, IT and Crowder, seeing that work can bring success, had a HUGE role in the work Young is doing this summer. He's an impressionable 19 year old who, depending on his environment, could develop into a great player or a bust. Totally depends on his surroundings. And we have good surroundings.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
He's still going to have to prove that he can play defense

Isn't that true of every player that will be drafted this year?

There are exceptions (Bradley, Smart for example), but not very many players these days step out of college ready to play defense in the NBA.  So I agree completely with the statement but I get the sense from many of the comments (not just yours) that somehow he is different in this regard or it is going to be more difficult for him because of what he has shown so far.  There is some truth to the latter too but I think he is still ahead of where Winslow or Johnson (for example) will be this season.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 10:06:39 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
It's almost like this kid wants to succeed.

Hope so because his physical tools are very good and the only thing that can stop James Young is James Young. Anyway it's nice to hear that he's working hard, bulking up and I really think that he's gonna prove the doubters wrong. I think he has that "it" factor.

Last thing I want to say is that I really hope he's gonna be an all around player rather than just a good to very good shooter.

great article. I hope he is working hard not just to crack the rotation but to succeed in the NBA, aim to be a star. Cuz he has the potential to be one, but does he has the work ethic. I also hope he works even harder once he cracks the rotation. Again, no pun intended, he is young, only 20 when the season starts...he has a long road ahead of him.

I like the fact that he has packed 15 lbs. Not sure if adding 3 inch of vertical matters, since he can already jump. Wonder if he increased his speed, his agility and such.

Excited to see him in the summer leagues

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I never thought the Gerald Wallace quotes ever questioned his work ethic, but Crash was talking about how Young failed to seize his opportunity to get rotation minutes.

The flashes he showed last year plus this information makes me feel very excited for his upside.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
People have overreacted about JY in my opinion. He's a kid, he had a up and down season because he was behind to start with. Stevens and Ainge are not the type to praise players just to praise players and I really believe that James is here to stay. I feel like Ainge/Stevens were playing a psychological game and making him earn his time, show him that nothing would be given to him. He was a All-American, went to one of the best programs in the country at Kentucky and is no stranger to competition. He's 19, going to be 20 in august, let the kid develop. Last year showed him what he needs to do in order to be successful in the NBA and I think we will see him get more minutes on the varsity squad this year. Give him a few years, this kid could be special.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 10:32:28 AM »

Offline Nemam Nabytek

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5
I loved what Delaware 87ers coach Kevin Young told the Portland Press Herald: "I don't know what Danny Ainge and Coach Stevens are seeing, but that guy should be getting minutes for the Celtics. Unless he just had his best games of his life against us. This is my eighth year in the D-League and I've seen a lot of assignment players come through. He's got to be the best one I've seen. A guy with that size and that shooting ability, he's tough."

I'm rooting for #13.  I loved the pick last year: great stroke, athleticism, youth, physique. Going through an 82-game season has got to be a difficult transition for a 19-year-old, and he's adapted quickly.  Now, his athleticism and skills will take over and I agree with many others: this guy is special.  I'm looking for 11 ppg from him next season, and he will be key reason why the Celts are able to improve on their 40 wins.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:17:05 AM by Nemam Nabytek »

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 10:33:30 AM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
He's still going to have to prove that he can play defense which has nothing to do with his amount of muscle or how high he can jump. He has to prove that mentally he can pick up the defense, know when to switch, know how to read the ball flow, know how to contest without fouling, and be able to give the effort needed to succeed on that end of the court.

Neither Young's athleticism, vertical leap, size nor offense kept him off the floor last year. It was his atrocious defense and lack of ability to learn how to play the defense Stevens required. That's all mental acuity and effort.

I'd argue his lack of strength and elite conditioning were the main culprits. Athleticism, quickness, jumping ability, and strength are all key to playing defense.

Young mostly got burned on dribble penetration despite the fact that his defensive stance improved over what he showed in college. He'll be a fine defender with better physical tools, experience, and more coaching.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 10:34:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's still going to have to prove that he can play defense which has nothing to do with his amount of muscle or how high he can jump

Strength can definitely help contain an opponent.   I agree that most of his problems are lack of mental aspects.   But Strength is important at the higher levels of basketball. 

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I'd argue his lack of strength and elite conditioning were the main culprits. Athleticism, quickness, jumping ability, and strength are all key to playing defense.

Young mostly got burned on dribble penetration despite the fact that his defensive stance improved over what he showed in college. He'll be a fine defender with better physical tools, experience, and more coaching.
I thought he got beat a lot because he closed out too hard, or shaded too much to one side giving his opponent a lane to the hoop. Yes athleticism will help him recover from such mistakes, but really what will help him most is being in the right position.

That being said, he was an 18 year old trying to learn NBA defenses after playing essentially no defense as long as he has played basketball. I think due to this he has a lot of room for growth and has a good chance of learning better defensive position.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
This article makes me very happy. Nice to hear Steven's praise him. Steven's is typically honest with his assessment of players.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
The results? He's carrying 15 pounds of additional muscle, has trimmed his body fat and has added three inches to his vertical over the past year, the fruits of a newfound dedication to the weight room.

Lovin it... But didnt he measure at 5.1% body fat at the draft combine? Don't call me a doctor but anything below that sounds a little dangerous. Hope he bundles up during Boston winters.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 12:05:02 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
When Paul Pierce will come to Boston this summer, James better contact him asap to be able to learn from the truth that I think can be a very good mentor for him to become a better all around player.