Author Topic: Too bad the Celtics didn't trade Wallace for McGee last deadline.  (Read 5543 times)

Re: Too bad the Celtics didn't trade Wallace for McGee last deadline.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 01:22:07 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
JaVale was the worst player I saw in a Sixers uniform last year and that's really saying something.

You don't want him anywhere near the Celtics unless he's playing for the opposing team.
What's better? Having Wallace on the bench, who is not going to play at all, or JaVale who could contribute in 10-15 minutes of playing time?
I agree that his game isn't perfect, but he could still offer something to this team in regards to his length, rebounding and defense. We could definitely have used JaVale's defense and rebounding in the first round against Cleveland.

Please define "contribute"

Here you go:

contribute
verb
give (something, especially money) in order to help achieve or provide something.

In Denver last season McGee averaged 16 points, 9 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per 36 minutes while shooting 56% from the field.

I would say that's a pretty solid contribution.

The guy might have his flaws (which he obviously does) but it's not fair to completely ignore the things he does well.  He's been an excellent rebounder and shot-blocker (as well as an efficient and above average scorer) his entire career.  The guy might be as dumb as a doorknob, but then so is was Kendrick Perkins, and he was never even NEARLY as skilled/gifted as McGee.

McGee is not only incredibly gifted physically, he's actually fairly skilled too.  He just has the basketball IQ of an onion. 

That said he offers a set of skills that this team desperately needs, and he should be available for an affordable price.  If you're playing him 10-15 minutes off the bench then his basketball IQ is not so much of an issue - you don't even need him to touch the ball.  Just let him defend the paint and gobble up rebounds.  Keep his role very simple and very focused, and don't put him in a position where he has to think too much.  He'll be fine.

Great post.

I'm now even more convinced. This trade should have happened. Philly might have just done it straight up to save that $2 million. What a shame. We wouldn't have had to deal with negotiations or anything, we would have simply taken Wallace out and slotted in a big man for almost nothing.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 01:44:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The 76ers just flat out cut McGee anyway. I wonder if Ainge made a call to try to trade Wallace for McGee last trade deadline, as it would have made sense for both teams. The 76ers pick up a couple 2nd Rounders or whatever and still waive similar money, then the Celtics turn their dead money player into a player of actual need. Looking back on it, it's strange that Ainge wasn't all over it.

The Nuggets salary dumped McGee and didn't take any contracts back.  The deal they would have wanted from the Celtics is for McGee to be absorbed in the Rondo trade exception, not taking back Wallace.

Read beyond the title my friend.

Sorry.  So many stupid trade ideas are being posted that I've started assuming everyone is an idiot.

That being said, I value the extra cap space and the second round picks more.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 10:37:52 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm as big an advanced stats guy as there is, but I'm telling you his awfulness is not reflected in his advanced stats.

He's consistently out of position, he's not nearly the rebounder he used to be, he fouls a lot, he turns the ball over a lot and he's just generally the antithesis of what you want young players to do on the court.

He's not a bad character guy, he seems like a good dude who goofs off. The thing is, that doesn't end when he steps on the court. It's just who he is 100% of the time and it will slowly drive you insane.

*it probably won't be a slow drive to insanity, it'll happen the first time he throws a ball over the backboard trying to lob himself an alley-oop on a breakaway.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 10:49:24 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm as big an advanced stats guy as there is, but I'm telling you his awfulness is not reflected in his advanced stats.

He's consistently out of position, he's not nearly the rebounder he used to be, he fouls a lot, he turns the ball over a lot and he's just generally the antithesis of what you want young players to do on the court.

He's not a bad character guy, he seems like a good dude who goofs off. The thing is, that doesn't end when he steps on the court. It's just who he is 100% of the time and it will slowly drive you insane.

*it probably won't be a slow drive to insanity, it'll happen the first time he throws a ball over the backboard trying to lob himself an alley-oop on a breakaway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geIRNnQalsw
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All the physical talent in the world with a dinosaur peanut sized bonehead brain = McGee.

I do not think it is too bad, I am glad we did not get him.