Author Topic: Too bad the Celtics didn't trade Wallace for McGee last deadline.  (Read 5544 times)

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The 76ers just flat out cut McGee anyway. I wonder if Ainge made a call to try to trade Wallace for McGee last trade deadline, as it would have made sense for both teams. The 76ers pick up a couple 2nd Rounders or whatever and still waive similar money, then the Celtics turn their dead money player into a player of actual need. Looking back on it, it's strange that Ainge wasn't all over it.

Re: Too bad the Celtics didn't trade Wallace for McGee last deadline.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 02:31:41 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
JaVale was the worst player I saw in a Sixers uniform last year and that's really saying something.

You don't want him anywhere near the Celtics unless he's playing for the opposing team.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:13:13 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
JaVale was the worst player I saw in a Sixers uniform last year and that's really saying something.

You don't want him anywhere near the Celtics unless he's playing for the opposing team.
What's better? Having Wallace on the bench, who is not going to play at all, or JaVale who could contribute in 10-15 minutes of playing time?
I agree that his game isn't perfect, but he could still offer something to this team in regards to his length, rebounding and defense. We could definitely have used JaVale's defense and rebounding in the first round against Cleveland.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 07:31:15 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

What's better? Having Wallace on the bench, who is not going to play at all, or JaVale who could contribute in 10-15 minutes of playing time?
I agree that his game isn't perfect, but he could still offer something to this team in regards to his length, rebounding and defense. We could definitely have used JaVale's defense and rebounding in the first round against Cleveland.

Wallace did a lot of side coaching to the young guys on the bench this season. I'd rather have that then adding a knuckle head to the bench distracting it.  When McGee plays well he looks like an All Star, but more often than not he hurts the team with middle school like plays. No way would he have helped that much against Cleveland.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:34:51 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
That would have been dumb because we could have just picked him up. IMO he knows he screwed up not taking our deal. And who knows we may draft Upshaw or Xmas or Dakar Johnson or other good 2nd round players with those picks we would have traded.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 07:41:14 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Its worth pointing out that McGee costs $2 million more than Wallace by his old contract last season.  If he signs for the minimum, it would be cheaper to have Wallace and McGee than just McGee at full price.  So for that reason, on top of the reason that Wallace had real locker-room value, no way should Ainge have done this.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 08:34:36 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

Wallace did a lot of side coaching to the young guys on the bench this season. I'd rather have that then adding a knuckle head to the bench distracting it.  When McGee plays well he looks like an All Star, but more often than not he hurts the team with middle school like plays. No way would he have helped that much against Cleveland.
We shouldn't have to pay Wallace 10 million to side coach the younger players. We can always hire an assistant coach (for a lot less) to do what Wallace does in terms of guiding the younger players.

I don't buy that JaVale is a knuckle head off the court. It's evident that he does some stupid things on the court, but I've never heard a story claiming that McGee is a bad teammate etc. Even Brett Brown (Sixers coach) had some nice words for McGee after they waived him;
I think he’s great. He’s kind of maligned in some ways to me where, you know, people view him in a certain way. He’s been a great teammate. It’s not like I’m starting him. It’s not like I’m giving him 25 minutes. I can’t ask for anymore in regards to how he’s fit in, and how he’s just been extremely receptive and coachable. He’s been excellent. I can’t ask any more from him.

I disagree in terms of your last claim. JaVale would have been great to have against Cleveland as one of our biggest problems in that series was rebounding the ball.
We were out rebounded 3 out of 4 games where Cleveland got a lot of offensive rebounds;
Game 1: Bos - 34 rebounds, Cle - 46 rebounds (15 offensive)
Game 2: Bos - 39 rebounds, Cle - 47 rebounds (12 offensive)
Game 4: Bos - 45 rebounds, Cle - 50 rebounds (10 offensive)
If we managed to limit the Cavs' offensive rebounds and thereby limiting their second chance points, who knows what would have happened? Some of the games were very close.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:56:16 AM by TA9 »
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

We shouldn't have to pay Wallace 10 million to side coach the younger players. We can always hire an assistant coach (for a lot less) to do what Wallace does in terms of guiding the younger players.

I don't buy that JaVale is a knuckle head off the court. It's evident that he does some stupid things on the court, but I've never heard a story claiming that McGee is a bad teammate etc. Even Brett Brown (Sixers coach) had some nice words for McGee after they waived him;
I think he’s great. He’s kind of maligned in some ways to me where, you know, people view him in a certain way. He’s been a great teammate. It’s not like I’m starting him. It’s not like I’m giving him 25 minutes. I can’t ask for anymore in regards to how he’s fit in, and how he’s just been extremely receptive and coachable. He’s been excellent. I can’t ask any more from him.

I disagree in terms of your last claim. JaVale would have been great to have against Cleveland as one of our biggest problems in that series was rebounding the ball.
We were out rebounded 3 out of 4 games where Cleveland got a lot of offensive rebounds;
Game 1: Bos - 34 rebounds, Cle - 46 rebounds (15 offensive)
Game 2: Bos - 39 rebounds, Cle - 47 rebounds (12 offensive)
Game 4: Bos - 45 rebounds, Cle - 50 rebounds (10 offensive)
If we managed to limit the Cavs' offensive rebounds and thereby limiting their second chance points, who knows what would have happened? Some of the games were very close.
J. Mcgee was schedualed to have a reality tv show featuring how goofy he and his mother are. This was a year or 2 ago but never got off the ground I believe.

He could be a great player. He has everything one needs to be a great center but he just hasn't figured it out.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:19:16 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Some interesting points brought up in this thread, but McGee never signed here for the minimum, so a lot of the points brought up are moot.

Had that transaction gone through at the deadline and the Celtics landed McGee for Wallace, his stock could have been significantly upgraded on the Celtics, turning what is now $10 Million of dead weight into the $12 million expiring of a decent big man.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 07:22:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Please define "contribute"
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:35:49 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Here you go:

contribute
verb
give (something, especially money) in order to help achieve or provide something.

In Denver last season McGee averaged 16 points, 9 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per 36 minutes while shooting 56% from the field.

I would say that's a pretty solid contribution.

The guy might have his flaws (which he obviously does) but it's not fair to completely ignore the things he does well.  He's been an excellent rebounder and shot-blocker (as well as an efficient and above average scorer) his entire career.  The guy might be as dumb as a doorknob, but then so is was Kendrick Perkins, and he was never even NEARLY as skilled/gifted as McGee.

McGee is not only incredibly gifted physically, he's actually fairly skilled too.  He just has the basketball IQ of an onion. 

That said he offers a set of skills that this team desperately needs, and he should be available for an affordable price.  If you're playing him 10-15 minutes off the bench then his basketball IQ is not so much of an issue - you don't even need him to touch the ball.  Just let him defend the paint and gobble up rebounds.  Keep his role very simple and very focused, and don't put him in a position where he has to think too much.  He'll be fine.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:50:55 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 12:19:18 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The 76ers just flat out cut McGee anyway. I wonder if Ainge made a call to try to trade Wallace for McGee last trade deadline, as it would have made sense for both teams. The 76ers pick up a couple 2nd Rounders or whatever and still waive similar money, then the Celtics turn their dead money player into a player of actual need. Looking back on it, it's strange that Ainge wasn't all over it.

The Nuggets salary dumped McGee and didn't take any contracts back.  The deal they would have wanted from the Celtics is for McGee to be absorbed in the Rondo trade exception, not taking back Wallace.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 12:49:39 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Here you go:

contribute
verb
give (something, especially money) in order to help achieve or provide something.
[/b]

In Denver last season McGee averaged 16 points, 9 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per 36 minutes while shooting 56% from the field.

I would say that's a pretty solid contribution.

The guy might have his flaws (which he obviously does) but it's not fair to completely ignore the things he does well.  He's been an excellent rebounder and shot-blocker (as well as an efficient and above average scorer) his entire career.  The guy might be as dumb as a doorknob, but then so is was Kendrick Perkins, and he was never even NEARLY as skilled/gifted as McGee.

McGee is not only incredibly gifted physically, he's actually fairly skilled too.  He just has the basketball IQ of an onion. 

That said he offers a set of skills that this team desperately needs, and he should be available for an affordable price.  If you're playing him 10-15 minutes off the bench then his basketball IQ is not so much of an issue - you don't even need him to touch the ball.  Just let him defend the paint and gobble up rebounds.  Keep his role very simple and very focused, and don't put him in a position where he has to think too much.  He'll be fine.
this may be an insult to onions.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 12:53:04 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
this may be an insult to onions.

hahahahaha 

TP, that one gave me a good chuckle  ;D

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 01:17:30 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

The Nuggets salary dumped McGee and didn't take any contracts back.  The deal they would have wanted from the Celtics is for McGee to be absorbed in the Rondo trade exception, not taking back Wallace.

Read beyond the title my friend.