Author Topic: "Speculation" Monroe to sign with either Boston or NY (update on 1st page)  (Read 35482 times)

Re: "Speculation" Monroe to sign with either Boston or NY
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I went back to check his measurements from the 2010 Draft:

Ht. w/o Shoes        6'-9 3/4" (I am willing to call it 6'-10")
Ht. with Shoes       6'-11"
Wingspan              7'-2 1/4"
Weight                  247 lbs

He is listed on NBA.com as 6'-11" and 250 lbs.  He doesn't look that big to me on the court but on paper he seems to have the size to play center. 

I guess if you have the chance to sign him, you do it and you worry about sorting out the roster later.  It isn't like he is the one piece that is going to put us over the top but he does offer what just about every team needs; a go-to scoring threat.  It is kind of a good news bad news thing, good news is he can play two positions (PF-C), bad news is he isn't quite prototypical for either.

My initial reaction is that giving him max money is a stretch but you have to stretch or you won't get anyone.  I like Monroe as a stretch max more than Middleton, Harris, Draymond Green, and some others that have been discussed.

I definitely don't do Monroe over Draymond Green, but certainly others. I agree, if he is willing to sign here, I don't know how you say no. At the very least, he is a center who puts up decent stats. He has been extremely consistent to this point in his career, I don't anticipate a huge drop-off.

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Another positive about Monroe is that he's extremely durable. He's only missed 16 games in 5 seasons (has played in 378 out of a possible 394 games).

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2015, 12:56:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Is Monroe that much of an upgrade over Zeller to get excited over "speculation"?

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2015, 01:01:50 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Is Monroe that much of an upgrade over Zeller to get excited over "speculation"?

Yes, he would become our number one scoring option, is the best rim running big in the NBA, and is a very solid passer who does not turn the ball over.  In addition to that he is a rebounding machine and his numbers there will go even higher not playing next to Drummond. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Yes, he would become our number one scoring option, is the best rim running big in the NBA, and is a very solid passer who does not turn the ball over.  In addition to that he is a rebounding machine and his numbers there will go even higher not playing next to Drummond.
Zeller runs the floor well enough. And unless he is stretching the floor passing isn't vital. The rebounding is a big upgrade though. Zeller is weak on the boards. Still Zeller could resign at 6 million per over 3 years. Monroe will be 15 per over 4.....

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Zeller runs the floor well enough. And unless he is stretching the floor passing isn't vital. The rebounding is a big upgrade though. Zeller is weak on the boards. Still Zeller could resign at 6 million per over 3 years. Monroe will be 15 per over 4.....

Not many posts run the floor like Monroe.  1.32 PP in TRAN, only one of 4 post players with over 100 transition possessions. 

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Greg-Monroe-1109/

Zeller is 6 months older and has played the center longer, Monroe has been more consistent, is a more reliable scorer, and a much better rebounder.  I think Zeller backing up Monroe makes the center position much more solid.  I would resign Zeller to back up Monroe which would give us flexibility in the future.

Signing Monroe fills some of our glaring needs, someone we can dump the ball into the post to score and he fixes our rebounding problems.  Sign him and Harris and we become a top 4 team in the East and we are still young. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2015, 02:05:22 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
eh,   i think i'd rather just keep the money.

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
So if we ever land Greg Monroe, all the Love, Aldridge, and Cousins talk to Boston will finally end?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2015, 02:07:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Of course I'd like a more well-rounded big man, but he could easily come in and average 20 and 10 as the first option on offense. He doesn't block shots, but he could be a serviceable rim protector down low. I think I'd prefer KO with him to provide more spacing, but Sully would also form a formidable rebounding and interior offensive force.

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So if we ever land Greg Monroe, all the Love, Aldridge, and Cousins talk to Boston will finally end?

A Love/Monroe front court would be the best offensive big man pairing in the league. Questionable defensively, but I think it could work.

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

A Love/Monroe front court would be the best offensive big man pairing in the league. Questionable defensively, but I think it could work.

It could certainly work if Smart and Bradley are your backcourt and you add a great defensive SF

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2015, 02:22:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

It could certainly work if Smart and Bradley are your backcourt and you add a great defensive SF
I think the Love stuff would die down, but Aldridge and cousins are so well rounded that theyd fit in just fine with Monroe.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Is this is a serious question?

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Update:

I contacted Woelfel on the speculation and he was kind enough to respond saying,

I’ve been hearing those teams for more than a month. The general consensus is he’ll end up in New York.

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The only real positives I see with Monroe are his age (just turned 25), his durability, and his post scoring ability. I don't think he puts this team over the top though and he doesn't really solve any of our problems. Yes, he probably an improvement at PF over Sully or Olynyk (I don't really think he's a C) but he's not really a #1 scoring option nor is he a rim protector. Overall, if the price is logical, I guess I wouldn't necessarily be against it. It would most likely mean that Sully and Olynyk are most likely gone via trades to upgrade our wing scoring or rim protection issues. If that is the gameplan,  then I could support the signing. But on its own merit, I don't think the signing makes the C's significantly better or address any of their immediate needs.