Author Topic: "Speculation" Monroe to sign with either Boston or NY (update on 1st page)  (Read 35508 times)

Re: "Speculation" Monroe to sign with either Boston or NY
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I would be very disappointed if we sign Monroe. He is a player more adept for the Knicks or Lakers at his price. A guy who scores a lot but doesnt play defense or pass well.

Monroe is a very unselfish passer who sees the floor real well, passing is one of his strengths.  His other strengths are his transition game as he is one of the best rim running post players and his low post offense.  He would absolutely fit with what the Celtics want to do on offense. 

You are correct on his defense although a large part of the problem was that he was guarding on the perimeter and struggle in pick and roll situations, as a center he might improve. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2015, 10:22:13 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's all about that cash bout that cash bout that cash.  No bad contracts. Bout that cash bout that cash. No bad contracts.

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2015, 10:33:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Of the "name" guys out there Monroe certainly seems like one of the few we have a realistic chance at getting.  The dollar amount would probably produce some sticker shock but Danny has a habit of inking deals that seem like overpays when they're signed and bargains before they end (Rondo's extension, Bradley's deal, etc). 

On the court, defense would be the big concern, and I don't know how he'd feel about playing C again, but he'd give us a real playmaker down low and contribute to our rebounding, scoring and ball movement.  I'd have mixed feelings about the signing but I'd certainly give him a chance.

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I believe Monroe at the 5 in Boston will be much better than Monroe at the 4 next to Drummond.
I hope he comes in Boston and see what Brad can do with him, I'm confident he might be our long term center. He will reach his full potential with BS.

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2015, 11:03:16 AM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
It seems like a simple question to me.....

Which line-up is better?

PG- Smart                                              PG- Smart
SG- Bradley                                            SG-Bradely
SF- Turner                          or                 SF- Turner
PF- Sullinger                                           PF- Sullinger
C- Monroe                                               C- Zeller

Monroe is actually 6-months younger than Zeller and averages almost twice as many rebounds a game.  Their PER last year has Monroe at 21.26 and Zeller at 19.01. It might be important to note that Zeller had his best season of his career last year on an overachieving team. His PER over the past three years is 11.0, 15.4 and 19.01.  Monroe's PER 18.0, 22.0, 19.5, 18.1, 21.2. 

With the NBA cap exploding over the next couple years signing a player now (even at max contract) is a salary saving move.   

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Which line-up is better?

Monroe is actually 6-months younger than Zeller and averages almost twice as many rebounds a game.  Their PER last year has Monroe at 21.26 and Zeller at 19.01. It might be important to note that Zeller had his best season of his career last year on an overachieving team. His PER over the past three years is 11.0, 15.4 and 19.01.  Monroe's PER 18.0, 22.0, 19.5, 18.1, 21.2. 

With the NBA cap exploding over the next couple years signing a player now (even at max contract) is a salary saving move.   

Honestly, I would much rather have this lineup than any of those
Smart
Bradley
Crowder
Olynyk
Monroe

If we are going to bring in Monroe we need to surround him with shooting. I would even be fine if we started Crowder at the 4 and brought in a 3 point shooting 3.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I like every line up involving monroe at the 5. It will give many different problem to solve for the opposite team. I think BS like this kind of versatility.

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2015, 11:27:35 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Which line-up is better?

But thats not quite the argument because the lineup featuring Zeller has max cap space to add anyone from Love to Aldridge to Middleton to Danny Green to Carroll to Noah to Gibson etc etc

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
a front court of Kelly and Monroe is great offensively but terrible defensively.

Monroe and Sully same...

WCS and Monroe good defensively don't know how it would work offensively...

Idk if we pickup Monroe, we need a very versatile Center or PF.

WCS + Monroe = pretty much the same as Drummond and Monroe
But with better defence
No way you can compare WCS to Drummond

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
if we can get him for cheap, say around 15 million x 4 years, then I'm all for it.
We could get his stats up to an All Star level in the weak East and then use him as a large trade chip over the next 2 years. Get his defensive responsibilities and defensive IQ up to above average and his offensive numbers should pick up being the number one option.
However im not interested if he wants a 2 year deal and then a huge re-up with the cap spike.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I really like Monroe at the 5, and I think his skill set would allow us to use any of our other bigs/ future assets to bring in a versatile defensively oriented big to pair next to him. McGee might actually be the right kinda guy to play behind a Monroe and Sully or Monroe and KO front-line to provide that D.

What I think is being lost in all these rumors is that we seem to be involved in just about every big name that comes up. Top-tier FA are giving us serious consideration, which I don't think would've happened without the playoff run. And that's exciting.

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'll be thrilled if we get Monroe. Outside of the the first tier of FA, my wish list has Monroe at #2, right behind Tobias Harris.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
a front court of Kelly and Monroe is great offensively but terrible defensively.

Monroe and Sully same...

WCS and Monroe good defensively don't know how it would work offensively...

Idk if we pickup Monroe, we need a very versatile Center or PF.

WCS + Monroe = pretty much the same as Drummond and Monroe
But with better defence
No way you can compare WCS to Drummond
you can in the sense that both are shot-blocking bigs who cant score outside the paint and fit terribly with Monroe.

Obviously Drummond is in a whole different world in terms of rebounding and interior scoring, but the point is that it doesnt make sense to pair monroe with either one
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2015, 12:01:14 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'll be thrilled if we get Monroe. Outside of the the first tier of FA, my wish list has Monroe at #2, right behind Tobias Harris.

That has been what I have been advocating on the Harris thread.  We would win the Atlantic next season and be solid for the next 10 with assets (all the picks) to improve the PF and SG position.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I went back to check his measurements from the 2010 Draft:

Ht. w/o Shoes        6'-9 3/4" (I am willing to call it 6'-10")
Ht. with Shoes       6'-11"
Wingspan              7'-2 1/4"
Weight                  247 lbs

He is listed on NBA.com as 6'-11" and 250 lbs.  He doesn't look that big to me on the court but on paper he seems to have the size to play center. 

I guess if you have the chance to sign him, you do it and you worry about sorting out the roster later.  It isn't like he is the one piece that is going to put us over the top but he does offer what just about every team needs; a go-to scoring threat.  It is kind of a good news bad news thing, good news is he can play two positions (PF-C), bad news is he isn't quite prototypical for either.

My initial reaction is that giving him max money is a stretch but you have to stretch or you won't get anyone.  I like Monroe as a stretch max more than Middleton, Harris, Draymond Green, and some others that have been discussed.