Author Topic: "Speculation" Monroe to sign with either Boston or NY (update on 1st page)  (Read 35500 times)

Re: "Speculation" Monroe to sign with either Boston or NY
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 11:19:19 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
If we get Monroe I see him playing center.  We would need an athletic stretch 4 to play on his side...Portis has the size effort and range...might be a nice compliment.

+1....WCS, Jordan Mickey, Montrezl Harrell as shotblocking presence....I'd be thrilled to get Monroe. Just turned 25 last week. 5 years in the league. He's a center we could build around.
He played out of position and in Drummonds shadow in Detroit. He's got the physical tools to be a good defender. Fluid athlete.

Monroe and Love/Aldridge.....big-time defensive rebounding.

We don't need two bigs, small ball is much more effective so maybe add Biyambo for a Bogut/Mozgov role.

Smart, AB, Harris, Monroe, Biyambo with IT4, Crowder, and KO/Zeller off the bench.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 11:26:35 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
No coincidence that the Pistons lost 10 straight at one point late in the season with him and when he went out with his injury they won 8 of 11, career loser in my book, not worth the money he is asking.Pass for me.

Any coincidence that seven of those ten games were on the road, and Detroit was a bad team?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
No coincidence that the Pistons lost 10 straight at one point late in the season with him and when he went out with his injury they won 8 of 11, career loser in my book, not worth the money he is asking.Pass for me.
They went 7-4 without him and the losses that came before that the losses weren't his fault he was shooting efficiently
and the last time I checked those 6 wins were because Reggie Jackson and Caldwell-Pope scoring like 20+ each game

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2015, 11:34:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Let's just pass on all the good free agents. That should be our philosophy this summer ::) ???

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2015, 11:39:31 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

Any coincidence that seven of those ten games were on the road, and Detroit was a bad team?
They still managed to beat Memphis, Toronto, Chicago,Atlanta and the Celtics in Boston without him, the guy is an empty stats guy,no need to waste any money on him, if you can't get a bigger fish this summer wait it out.

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2015, 11:46:38 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

Let's just pass on all the good free agents. That should be our philosophy this summer ::) ???

Don't pass up on everyone, but surely Ainge has his sights set a bit higher than Monroe.
If he can't nap a real difference maker it might be wiser to hold off until he can.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:54:42 PM by GC003332 »

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2015, 11:47:02 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Amazingly a pairing of LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Monroe would be an amazing fit. Aldridge has shown to be a shotblocking presence and is a go to scorer who can space the floor. Monroe is a good passer who works out of the low block. If we land Monroe than I don't think it is out of the question that we could land Aldridge as well. Trade up in the draft to get Stanley Johnson at 12.

PG: Marcus Smart
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Stanley Johnson
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge
C: Greg Monroe

Easily could be a Eastern Conference Finalist with some coaching up by Brad Stevens.

That is my best case scenario for the offseason.

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2015, 11:56:46 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
a front court of Kelly and Monroe is great offensively but terrible defensively.

Monroe and Sully same...

WCS and Monroe good defensively don't know how it would work offensively...

Idk if we pickup Monroe, we need a very versatile Center or PF.

This is actually NOT accurate.  Monroe has the 11th BEST defensive rating on ESPN's real plus/minus (and once you remove anomalies such as Darrell Arthur and Lou Amondson, and perhaps Cody Zeller, he is actually either #9 or #8)!!!!

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/6

Also, Monroe has far BETTER stats as a center than as a PF!!

http://www.82games.com/1415/14DET19.HTM

I get SO TIRED of almost EVERYONE on this board ASSUMING that we HAVE to get a shot blocking center to be solid defensively.  This is simply NOT true IF we have good shot blocking from our PF and our SF and are solid with our defensive rotations!!

Smitty77

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2015, 11:58:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

They still managed to beat Memphis, Toronto, Chicago,Atlanta and the Celtics in Boston without him, the guy is an empty stats guy,no need to waste any money on him, if you can't get a bigger fish this summer wait it out.

They lost to Philly and got absolutely crushed by Charlotte without him as well.

But if you want to parse individual games in a 10-game set during the course of a meaningless season to gauge the value of a player, be my guest.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2015, 11:59:27 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
What are the positives that Monroe can bring to the team? I'm not well informed on him.
He would be the best rebounder and post scorer we have on our team.
so basically a beefed up slimmed down version of Sully?

No!!  On ESPN's Real Plus Minus for PF's, Sully's defense rates 53rd and Monroe's defense ranks 11th!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2015, 12:08:00 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
ugghh....

so greg Monroe is so great and going to bring us to the promised land. how come he couldn't do that in Detroit?

this is aiming low at it's best imo.

Aiming low? Detroit hasn't been trying to compete, let alone contend, since Monroe joined the league.

Would love to have Monroe.
I agree Monroe is a very talented 25 year old player, who at the 0-6 year max could well be a bargain.

He has a limited skillset (no jumper and an inability to cver on the perimeter or provide a shot-blocking presence) but if paired with the right player he can be a stud.

In Detroit, he looked like a star in the making untill Andre Drummond showed up. Neither can make jumpshots and Drummond is the far supperior interior defender so Monroe was forced to cover quicker 4s that he struggles with. I see no reason why Monroe cant defend the center position. If we can find a 4 who can block shots and stretch the floor Monroe could really really excel.

Obviously these guys are tough to find, but I think Monroe is talented and cheap enough that Id look to sign him anyway.

Is Drummond truly the far superior interior defender???  82games.com would argue NO!!

http://www.82games.com/1415/14DET21.HTM

Shot blocking does not inherently mean superior interior defense!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2015, 12:12:21 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Monroe and Aldridge would be a great 4/5 tandem for the next 5 to 6 years if we could get both. Monroe is not a stellar defensive presence but he is not a siv either, and Aldridge has shown he can be quite a low post presence on the defensive side of the ball. While I think rim protection is important, I dont think its as important as most make it out to believe. Aside from a few players like Lebron (who, lets be honest, is going to make it to the rim no matter who is down there) this is a jump shooters league so defensive rebounding I feel like should be the focal point along with good pick and roll defense.

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2015, 12:13:06 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
a front court of Kelly and Monroe is great offensively but terrible defensively.

Monroe and Sully same...

This is actually NOT accurate.  Monroe has the 11th BEST defensive rating on ESPN's real plus/minus (and once you remove anomalies such as Darrell Arthur and Lou Amondson, and perhaps Cody Zeller, he is actually either #9 or #8)!!!!

I get SO TIRED of almost EVERYONE on this board ASSUMING that we HAVE to get a shot blocking center to be solid defensively.  This is simply NOT true IF we have good shot blocking from our PF and our SF and are solid with our defensive rotations!!

Smitty77
He can be a solid defensive center however don't you agree it would be important to have an athletic 4 who can block shots?

I think that in the draft Jordan Mickey and a few other guys could be good options at 28 and 33. I think Taj Gibson would be an absolutely perfect fit next to Monroe.

The question is do you want to give up assets to get him and I'm not sure if ra starting quality but he's the sort of player who'd fit great next to Monroe.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
When talking about free agents, a few things need to be understood.

1.  The rising cap means teams will be able to hold on to pretty much any player they want.

2.  Boston is currently a middling team in the horrible East.  I think we've got a shot at Aldridge and Love but both are going to be looking first at teams closer to real contention, especially Aldridge.  Monroe is far more likely to be signable and would probably find Boston's coach/front office situation more attractive than NY's.

If you make a Venn diagram of best free agents in one circle and "most likely to sign with Boston" in the other, Monroe in where they would overlap.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2015, 12:39:10 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Monroe and Sully same...

Smitty77

Devil's advocate here because I like Monroe and think that his deficiencies are mostly overblown but...
If you have to remove 3  of the top ten players of a stat, is it really that reliable of a stat?

Couldn't you argue that Monroe appearing on this list is an anomaly? His presence on the list definitely flies in the face of the eye test.