Author Topic: Noob Question; Can we sign J.Butler?  (Read 3966 times)

Noob Question; Can we sign J.Butler?
« on: June 13, 2015, 11:36:17 AM »

Offline celticsfanfromph

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
I know J Buckets is a restricted free agent this season, and Bulls will match any offer sheet and will keep him.

Now, let's say if Butler don't want to play anymore for Bulls (Want to be an Alpha dog too while  D.Rose is the man for Chi-town) and want to be the "Man" for any other team. Does he have a possible option to part ways with Bulls even though they want to keep him? Or is it up to the team's decision?

I can't find (or I am just lazy) any clear details about restrictions and I hope anyone let me know.

Thanks

Re: Noob Question; Can we sign J.Butler?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
It is up to the Bulls, they have the right to match his contract, he cannot choose to leave, he would need the Bulls to not match.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline celticsfanfromph

• Jaden Springer
Thanks, here's your TP  ;D

So there's no chance for the Cs to take him. It ruined my desire Cs roster for '15-'16.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Only possible way is if he were to sign the qualifying offer for next season, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016 with the freedom to sign with any team of his choosing.

Players passing up a max contract off their rookie deals is literally unprecedented, so I wouldn't bank on that. Someone is probably going to bring up the fact that the salary cap will be increasing significantly over the next few years as to why it might make sense for Butler to hold off on signing a max deal now as opposed to next summer (when he might make more money). Again, I wouldn't bank on it.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 11:59:40 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
The fastest he can get out of Chicago is next year. He can either accept the qualifying offer, or sign a offer sheet for one year.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »

Offline celticsfanfromph

• Jaden Springer
The fastest he can get out of Chicago is next year. He can either accept the qualifying offer, or sign a offer sheet for one year.

Only possible way is if he were to sign the qualifying offer for next season, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016 with the freedom to sign with any team of his choosing.

Players passing up a max contract off their rookie deals is literally unprecedented, so I wouldn't bank on that. Someone is probably going to bring up the fact that the salary cap will be increasing significantly over the next few years as to why it might make sense for Butler to hold off on signing a max deal now as opposed to next summer (when he might make more money). Again, I wouldn't bank on it.

Thanks! These are informartive

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I would throw an offer at him in a heart beat....25...averaging 20 and can play D....lets hope the rumors that he's disgruntled about the changes in Chicago are true and his buddy Mark Wahlberg can guide him towards the C's.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
There has never been any reports that Butler wants out of Chicago.  He will resign with them either by matching a max off by someone else or signing him outright.  He loves Chicago and fits Hoiberg's offense

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 02:33:45 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If Butler really wanted out of Chicago, he could let the Bulls know that, unless he is allowed to go to the team he wants (in this case, us), he plans to accept the QO and then leave after next season.  The Bulls would still have the option to keep him anyway, and we would have to give up assets for them to not match/for a S&T.  So it's *technically* possible, but I can confidently say that it won't happen
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
lets hope the rumors that he's disgruntled about the changes in Chicago are true

What? Where are people getting this stuff from? There have been no kind of reports to this effect whatsoever. Like, literally none.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
If the Bulls max him on day 1 of free agency, it's likely that he stays.  If they let him go get a contract, it's possible that a contract could be structured to make it difficult for the Bulls to match.  Not likely that the Bulls don't then match even if the Bulls are notoriously tight, but if they jerk him around, he has the chance to jerk them around.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
lets hope the rumors that he's disgruntled about the changes in Chicago are true

What? Where are people getting this stuff from? There have been no kind of reports to this effect whatsoever. Like, literally none.

Can't find the article I read...maybe it was a tweet....here are a few random pulls from a search online...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2067874-report-jimmy-butler-was-unhappy-with-tom-thibodeau-before-season-ended

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/18/rumor-derrick-roses-frustration-with-jimmy-butler-caused-him-to-play-passively-in-game-6/

http://www.inquisitr.com/2100016/chicago-bulls-rumors-derrick-rose-jimmy-butler-at-odds-after-bulls-embarrassing-playoff-loss/

Simply put Butler is an asset that the Bulls will build around.  Unless Butler signs the qualifying offer and becomes an UFA the following year he will be a Bull for quite a while.     

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

Can't find the article I read...maybe it was a tweet....here are a few random pulls from a search online...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2067874-report-jimmy-butler-was-unhappy-with-tom-thibodeau-before-season-ended

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/18/rumor-derrick-roses-frustration-with-jimmy-butler-caused-him-to-play-passively-in-game-6/

http://www.inquisitr.com/2100016/chicago-bulls-rumors-derrick-rose-jimmy-butler-at-odds-after-bulls-embarrassing-playoff-loss/

The first article is from last year and is about Butler not being happy with something his now-former coach was doing.

The next two cite the same vague report about Rose being passive-aggressive.

Neither of those three articles suggest anything about Butler being unhappy with what's happened in Chicago this summer.