Author Topic: Rare mid-Finals trade alert: [Woj] Bucks trade Ilyasova to Pistons.  (Read 10358 times)

Re: Rare mid-Finals trade alert: [Woj] Bucks trade Ilyasova to Pistons.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2015, 04:52:08 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Nice trade for Detroit. So much for everyone saying they'd prefer Sullinger over Olynyk for #8.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm starting to wonder if Andre Drummond is becoming the most over-rated player ever.

Everyone talks about him with such reverence, and while he certainly is a great athlete with tons of (ugh!) upside still, I just have never really seen it from him.

To be honest, whenever I've seen him play he always looks really disinterested.  I know he's still young, but that may not change. 

He's kind of a slacker, in my opinion.

Big season for Drummond. Pretty disappointed with his limited progress to date. Looking more and more like a DeAndre Jordan level center than the next Dwight Howard.

Make or break year for Drummond. Needs to show real improvement. On both sides of the ball.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a make or break year for Drummond after comparing him to Jordan, given the improvement Jordan has shown the last season or so.

There is a big difference between DeAndre Jordan = borderline All-Star + Dwight Howard at his peak = MVP candidate.

If Drummond does indeed have that type of potential to become an MVP caliber center, it's time he starts making some major strides in that direction.

Got it.  I think that expectations he would turn into Dwight Howard, who was a first overall pick that turned into an NBA superstar would always have been unfair to a player picked 9th overall.  If he continues improving, as Jordan has done, he'll have lived up to reasonable expectations.  A borderline All-Star defensive anchor center is a great player who would rightfully be a cornerstone piece for most any franchise, and absolutely more than expected value from the 9th pick.  People focus too much on a player's imperfections without paying attention to all the important things he does really well.  We have that same problem on this board with Marcus Smart, and have had it going back to pre-Big 3 Paul Pierce.

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 05:01:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So now that Detroit has a ton of cap room if they move in from Monroe, is Wesley Johnson a priority target for them in free agency?  Also, even after this trade, they have room to keep Monroe (if they make up) and have enough for another near max player if they dump Jennings, allowing Ilyasova to be the first big off the bench playing next to either Drummond or Monroe.

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 05:23:17 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
You guys say "Deandre Jordan-like" like it's a bad thing.

Also I don't see what Ersan was "set free" from. Last time I checked the Bucks made the playoffs this year and had IMO the best young core of guys.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 06:25:33 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Wow, didn't know there could be trades made right now....Why don't we just trade for Lamarcus Aldridge tonight--?

Because he's a free agent and can't sign a contract until sometime in July

I thought everyone was under their current contracts until June 30th, and could be traded....guess not.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 06:33:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Wow, didn't know there could be trades made right now....Why don't we just trade for Lamarcus Aldridge tonight--?

I thought everyone was under their current contracts until June 30th, and could be traded....guess not.

Sort of: contracts end June 30, and you don't become a free agent until July 1st (and you can't sign a contract until the end of the moratorium, which is usually a week or so after that, depending on weekends).  You're correct there.

However, to the best of my knowledge, there is legitimately no reason why anyone would trade for someone that's going to be an UFA, because you wouldn't be receiving their Bird Rights anyway, so you'd be sending out assets for someone who could just walk, say, three weeks -- if we traded for LaMarcus right now -- later as an UFA.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 07:00:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

After the trade deadline, you can't trade someone who will be an impending free agent.  That includes players who might become free agents due to an option.  If a player has a team option, the team can trade him after invoking its option so that he is no longer going to become a free agent.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 07:01:51 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
So has the trade become official, or have they just agreed to it in principle, until draft night when the trade will actually process?

Edit; its official.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Safe to say that Middleton is going back to Milwaukee this off season?
The trade just cleared a lot of cap space for the Bucks (If i'm not wrong ;D!) hence that they probably are going to match everything that Middleton receives in free agency ::)

They were going to do that anyway.  What this does is allows them to be a major player in free agency beyond Middleton.  They can make another player a max offer if they want, and then match a max offer to Middleton.  Or they can sign a couple of second-tier free agents to improve overall depth.

I've said elsewhere and I'll repeat it now -- Milwaukee is in the middle of a stadium negotiation, trying to get about $300 million in public funding.  Spending an extra $10 million over the cap could be worth a lot in the future (and would still leave them under the cap next year, so is not a long-term splurge.)  I'm going to go out on a limb and call Brook Lopez to Mikwaukee as something that happens this summer.

I really believe Lopez goes to Milwaukee as well. Would be a great fit for them, he really likes Kidd, deff likes the future of that team more than the Nets, and has the opportunity to secure a long-term contract, which he really wants. Plus, I think he's never been too happy in Brooklyn. I think what Pierce said about that team is 100% true and a guy with Lopez' personality won't speak up about it or change it, but he certainly won't like it.

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Also I don't see what Ersan was "set free" from. Last time I checked the Bucks made the playoffs this year and had IMO the best young core of guys.

Ilyasova just seemed to stagnate in Milwaukee.  He's long seemed like a guy who could do with a change of environment.

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Ilyasova just seemed to stagnate in Milwaukee.  He's long seemed like a guy who could do with a change of environment.

It's Milwaukee. Everyone there could use a change of environment. Yuck. 

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 10:44:36 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'm starting to wonder if Andre Drummond is becoming the most over-rated player ever.

Everyone talks about him with such reverence, and while he certainly is a great athlete with tons of (ugh!) upside still, I just have never really seen it from him.

To be honest, whenever I've seen him play he always looks really disinterested.  I know he's still young, but that may not change. 

He's kind of a slacker, in my opinion.

Big season for Drummond. Pretty disappointed with his limited progress to date. Looking more and more like a DeAndre Jordan level center than the next Dwight Howard.

Make or break year for Drummond. Needs to show real improvement. On both sides of the ball.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a make or break year for Drummond after comparing him to Jordan, given the improvement Jordan has shown the last season or so.

There is a big difference between DeAndre Jordan = borderline All-Star + Dwight Howard at his peak = MVP candidate.

If Drummond does indeed have that type of potential to become an MVP caliber center, it's time he starts making some major strides in that direction.

Got it.  I think that expectations he would turn into Dwight Howard, who was a first overall pick that turned into an NBA superstar would always have been unfair to a player picked 9th overall.  If he continues improving, as Jordan has done, he'll have lived up to reasonable expectations.  A borderline All-Star defensive anchor center is a great player who would rightfully be a cornerstone piece for most any franchise, and absolutely more than expected value from the 9th pick.  People focus too much on a player's imperfections without paying attention to all the important things he does really well.  We have that same problem on this board with Marcus Smart, and have had it going back to pre-Big 3 Paul Pierce.

I agree with this, but Drummond in his 3rd year/age 21 season was virtually identical to Howard:

Drummond (Year 3): 13.8 ppg, 13.5 rpg, .7 APG, 1.9 BPG, .9 SPG, 1.5 TOV, 51.4% FG, 38.9% FT
Howard(Year 3): 17.6 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 1.9 APG, 1.9 BPG, .9 SPG, 3.9 TOV, 58.6% FG, 60.3% FT

Drummond (Year 3 per 36): 16.3 ppg, 15.9 rpg, .8 APG, 2.2 BPG, 1.1 SPG, 1.7 TOV, 51.4% FG, 38.9% FT
Howard(Year 3 per 36): 17.2 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 1.9 APG, 1.9 BPG, .8 SPG, 3.8 TOV, 58.6% FG, 60.3% FT

Basically, Drummond is a significantly better rebounder and a slightly better shot blocker.  Howard is a much better post player (Drummond's FG% dipped because he got more post up looks this year; prior to that his FG% numbers were better than Howard's) and a less awful free throw shooter.  But if you expect Drummond to be Dwight Howard I don't see how you can say he has disappointed so far.  To be honest, I'd rather have Drummond at this point because posting up us now known to be an inefficient offensive strategy and I'd rather have the better rebounder/shotblocker and forgo postups than the better post up player (who still isn't great) and have to devote a large portion of my offense to inefficient plays.

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nice trade for Detroit. So much for everyone saying they'd prefer Sullinger over Olynyk for #8.
  People on this board overvalue our guys if you have not figured out by now.

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
  People on this board overvalue our guys if you have not figured out by now.

And they to undervalue their guys as well.

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
There's a reason Ilyasova just got traded for Sean Williams and the ghost of Caron Butler... He hasn't been healthy EVER.  Every time the Bucks started to find a rhythm with him in the lineup he immediately got injured.   

Milwaukee would rather have two guys that won't challenge anyone for playing time than have his inevitable injuries derail their team chemistry.