Author Topic: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson: steal of the draft?  (Read 10622 times)

Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson: steal of the draft?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 10:24:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If you're a perimeter player who can't shoot, you can't ever be better than Tony Allen.  Even someone as talented as Jason Kidd wouldn't have had half the career he had without that standstill three point shot he developed.

TA is still a heck of a player, but you aren't winning anything unless you've got three or four much better guys on your roster.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
All day interest in this guy,  looney and decker.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 04:24:47 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Draft them both. If Ainge cannot move up, take J.Anderson at #16 and use the later picks together to trade up to low 20s if RHJ is still available.

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2015, 05:44:51 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
RHJ vs Cavs: 15 points, 5-11, 1-2 3 PM/A, 4-6 F/T, 9 boards, 4 assists, 4 steals, 1 blocked shot

https://youtu.be/muMkedrC_AQ

and 22-11 vs Hornets

https://youtu.be/PA6F-C-y_Jw

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 06:05:04 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would say Portis is, based on the lone game he's played and where he was actually expected to go in the draft vs where he was drafted (#22).

Last night he completely outplayed Towns. In 27 high energy minutes, he went for 23 points (9-14 from the field), 7 rebounds, 1 block, and 3 3pt's made (3-4 on 3's). In 32 minutes, Towns had 9 points (4-11 shooting) and 9 rebounds.

There was also recently this quote by the still 20 year old Portis-
"I’m still growing," Portis said. "My doctor said I’ll be a 7-footer. I don’t want to be a 7-footer but that’s what he said."

He measured 6-10 1/2 with shoes (6-9 1/2 without), with a 7-2 wingspan, and a 9-0 1/2 standing reach, which are solid numbers regardless. However, a slight uptick in growth would only increase his value and allow him to play center more exclusively. Especially a center with a motor like his coupled with range out to the 3pt line.

I like Rozier a lot, but I really wanted Portis. I'm very interested in how they progress going forward. Hopefully, we took the right guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXl1F_FUonc

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 08:02:59 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Yea it's really been beat to death, but even with rozier showing flashes of what he might do, not taking Portis, dekkker, or rhj was a mistake by danny ainge.  I'm assuming danny likes what he has with ko and sully at the stretch 4 and not feel comfortable with rhj game.  Still u have Phil pressey as your back up pg, no need to draft another one.

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Yea it's really been beat to death, but even with rozier showing flashes of what he might do, not taking Portis, dekkker, or rhj was a mistake by danny ainge.  I'm assuming danny likes what he has with ko and sully at the stretch 4 and not feel comfortable with rhj game.  Still u have Phil pressey as your back up pg, no need to draft another one.
Phil Pressey is never going to be more than a fringe NBA player and is not a reason to avoid drafting someone. In the glimpses of Rozier I've had in summer league I feel a lot better about the pick than I did on draft day. That said, I am very much sitting in the front row of the RHJ bandwagon, so Rozier better have a decent NBA career because I'm confident Rondae will.

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2015, 09:50:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
not taking Portis, dekkker, or rhj was a mistake by danny ainge. 

One summer league game really?  I think Portis is going to get pushed around in the NBA, just wait and see. 

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
He should thrive in Brooklyn where they have no one on the roster..if I was a Free Agent or undrafted rookie, Brooklyn would be a good place to go..Big market, new arena, and a chance to play a lot to prove yourself
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
even at 8, SJ might be the steal

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

One summer league game really?  I think Portis is going to get pushed around in the NBA, just wait and see.

Oh sure. Portis is only 6'11, 246 lbs.  I am sure you could take him.

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Personally, I am glad we didn't draft Jefferson.

Based on scouting reports, he can't shoot which is the opposite of what we need right now.

I would've selected Portis or Vaughn.

Btw, I also had ZERO interest in Sam Dekker because if I am not mistaken, the word on him was he was a streaky shooter as well.

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Nope.

RJ Hunter .....the steal ......kid got game

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
And this is the time of summer league season when we need to remember back to the days of Kedrick Brown dominating summer league play.

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Trust me I hope I'm proven wrong but thought it was the wrong move for the team.  He didn't fill a need.  And if he does become a superstar, we're gonna have to pay to keep him or move another pg that we need like smart or Thomas.  I guess not a bad problem to have. Not saying those guys are better just thought they may fill a need better.  Rozier has been solid and tough as advertised in summer league so that's good to see.