Author Topic: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson: steal of the draft?  (Read 10600 times)

Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson: steal of the draft?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Yeah, I think RHJ would be a steal at 16. He may never develop a reliable jumper, but his defense is awesome, and he's a great finisher inside. I don't think he'll ever be a shot creator, but his range is from good role player (if shot doesn't develop) to great role player if it does.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
No. He has zero offensive game. Anderson would provide more to the Celtics.

Re-quoting deanondraft:

"On the other hand, I do have loads of faith in Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. He is the Marcus Smart of this draft who is a defensive stud and the type of player who will find ways to help his team win games. His lack of 3 point range or offensive creation skill places a damper on his stock. But he is not a complete zero offensively since he is a good passer, an electric finisher, and has a respectable FT%. With his awesome tools and defensive versatility, I believe it is wise to just take him in the lottery and gamble that offensive game fills out adequately one way or another."

He is a dynamic and creative passer with a high BBIQ and feel for the game.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 11:40:44 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Re-quoting deanondraft:

"On the other hand, I do have loads of faith in Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. He is the Marcus Smart of this draft who is a defensive stud and the type of player who will find ways to help his team win games. His lack of 3 point range or offensive creation skill places a damper on his stock. But he is not a complete zero offensively since he is a good passer, an electric finisher, and has a respectable FT%. With his awesome tools and defensive versatility, I believe it is wise to just take him in the lottery and gamble that offensive game fills out adequately one way or another."

He is a dynamic and creative passer with a high BBIQ and feel for the game.

At some point Boston has to have legit guys that can hit open shots on a regular basis. He is just another grinder that does the dirty work. They have those guys already

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 12:06:46 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Barf. I don't want anyone past 11-12 frankly. Won't play a lick for us.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Yeah, I think RHJ would be a steal at 16. He may never develop a reliable jumper, but his defense is awesome, and he's a great finisher inside. I don't think he'll ever be a shot creator, but his range is from good role player (if shot doesn't develop) to great role player if it does.
  I'm done with 1's and 2's and 3's that can't shoot. Steven's offense is based on good shooters, especially from 3 point range. Anderson can shoot. RHJ can't.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 12:10:39 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
RHJ- 11.2 on 7.2 shots a game
Anderson- 12.2 on 8.5 shots a game, 1.7 assists per game

While Anderson was a lot better shooting the 3, RHJ gets to the basket and draws fouls much better. There isn't a huge difference in their offenses.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's just so hard for a wing, even a very talented and physically gifted one, to make an impact in the league these days if their jumpshot is broken.

Wouldn't want them to draft RHJ unless they truly believe they can fix his jumpshot.  It's the difference between a guy being hard to fit into a rotation -- e.g. MKG -- versus being a potential NBA Finals MVP e.g. Iggy / Kawhi.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:13 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
He'll be the steal of the draft as he has elite potential at the next level. He's got an unbelievable motor, can finish at the rim and draws a lot of fouls hitting free throw at a decent percentage. I think that his jumpshot will be decent when it's all said and done because he's a gym rat so he'll work hard to improve his shot. Defensively, he'll guard up to 4 positions and wings will be afraid to go against him.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  I'm done with 1's and 2's and 3's that can't shoot. Steven's offense is based on good shooters, especially from 3 point range. Anderson can shoot. RHJ can't.

Yeah. Forget RHJ, forget Dekker. Enough of these wings that can't shoot or dribble. Turner is a better shooter than either of them..

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think it all boils down to the jumper, and if it can be rectified:

If he gets a reliable jumper...he will be a tremendous player.

If he has a below average jumper...he will be a good player.

If he has a weak jumper...he will be a bench player.

Risky...but I'm pulling for him.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 01:35:40 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
He'll be the steal of the draft as he has elite potential at the next level. He's got an unbelievable motor, can finish at the rim and draws a lot of fouls hitting free throw at a decent percentage. I think that his jumpshot will be decent when it's all said and done because he's a gym rat so he'll work hard to improve his shot. Defensively, he'll guard up to 4 positions and wings will be afraid to go against him.

It's very hard to become a good shooter when you're not coming into the NBA. It happens of course but most can't do it. Even extremely hard workers like MKG

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »

Offline CM0

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24

What's the risk at 16? His defense makes his floor higher than almost any other player and his athleticism makes his ceiling extremely high as well. At worst, you get a high energy bench guy who can lock down almost any wing in the league. At best, you get a tremendous two-way force. In all likelihood, you get a rotation guy that that could make multiple all-NBA defensive teams. That's extremely solid for a 16 pick.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 09:50:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
steal of the draft --- depends where he's picked.  I think he'll be a solid defensive role player as his floor.  if he can develop a shot where he can hit about 43% on jumpers, he'll be a key on a top team some day

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 09:57:28 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

What's the risk at 16? His defense makes his floor higher than almost any other player and his athleticism makes his ceiling extremely high as well. At worst, you get a high energy bench guy who can lock down almost any wing in the league. At best, you get a tremendous two-way force. In all likelihood, you get a rotation guy that that could make multiple all-NBA defensive teams. That's extremely solid for a 16 pick.

True...not very risky. I guess I meant that he has a wide range of where he could end up just based on one facet- his jumper.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Yeah. Forget RHJ, forget Dekker. Enough of these wings that can't shoot or dribble. Turner is a better shooter than either of them..

I don't like setting absolute requirements on what prospect needs to be. There are lots of molds that a player can fill. RHJ doesn't fit into the '3&D' mold, or the 'volume scorer' mold, so people don't see his value. If he can be a non-chucker version of Josh Smith, that's a big win in the mid-first. Sure it's nice to have shooters for motion, but at some point you just have to draft talent and trust your coach to make it work.

Anderson might be a better prospect-- I like him too-- but let's not ignore RHJ's strengths just because he's a non-shooter.