Author Topic: Thoughts on realgm  (Read 8697 times)

Re: Thoughts on realgm
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 03:31:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I post on both sites--and enjoy both--I thought CelticThug was pretty funny and entertaining--He was the first one to say KG was coming (on Draft day actually)--although I guess it was delayed for a month...I think CelticThug knew a player or two--and just got carried away with Power---I actually think Jeff (here on CelticsBlog) helped him set up his own website, which lasted about 2 weeks.

RealGM does have Mods who abuse their power though, Locking up threads for their own purposes.

Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Sorry if it is against the rules to talk about other sites here. I'm not trying to make any problems. I think this board has some pretty reasonable opinions and I would like to hear them on RealGM.

The Celtics board there has a few "insiders" members that claim that they have some connection and inside knowledge of the team. I've been reading there for years and they did have one guy break the KG trade before it happened so there could be something there. But then you get guys posting this like "I can't believe what I just heard" with no details leaving people to speculate like crazy. It got me thinking, are some of these insiders just guys working for the site trying to get more hits?
boy, i have to rummage around my poor memory, but cb had a few such persons here.

i think one of them were named celticsthug, who claimed to know someone inside the locker room or some such thing.

another was the infamously famous CROTOR, who lives on in inside jokes at cb.

these guys were a few years back. does anyone else recall more, or other such posters?

Anyone mentioned the Deli Guy yet?  Person who claimed to see Reggie Miller (I think it was Miller) at a deli like a block from the Garden back when the Celtics were kicking the tires on bringing him into the fold back in '07, I believe?

Pretty ridiculous, I can't believe anyone falls for this stuff.  It'd be like saying LaMarcus Aldridge was seen at a local steakhou... :o

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Sorry if it is against the rules to talk about other sites here. I'm not trying to make any problems. I think this board has some pretty reasonable opinions and I would like to hear them on RealGM.

The Celtics board there has a few "insiders" members that claim that they have some connection and inside knowledge of the team. I've been reading there for years and they did have one guy break the KG trade before it happened so there could be something there. But then you get guys posting this like "I can't believe what I just heard" with no details leaving people to speculate like crazy. It got me thinking, are some of these insiders just guys working for the site trying to get more hits?
boy, i have to rummage around my poor memory, but cb had a few such persons here.

i think one of them were named celticsthug, who claimed to know someone inside the locker room or some such thing.

these guys were a few years back. does anyone else recall more, or other such posters?

Anyone mentioned the Deli Guy yet?  Person who claimed to see Reggie Miller (I think it was Miller) at a deli like a block from the Garden back when the Celtics were kicking the tires on bringing him into the fold back in '07, I believe?

Pretty ridiculous, I can't believe anyone falls for this stuff.  It'd be like saying LaMarcus Aldridge was seen at a local steakhou... :o
Lemarcus Alritch was seen at a local outback steakhouse>?>!!>!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm always skeptical of "insiders", and generally don't like them on message boards, as they become a distraction.  Celtic Thug in particular posted a ton of trades that were clearly made up and that didn't work under the CBA, but when fans called him on it, they were largely attacked.  Common sense was flipped on its head, especially after one of the mods on RealGM at the time vouched for CT and declared him legit.  The only guy I saw with any legitimacy at all was the guy who claimed to be Big Al's cousin, who truly did seem to have some inside info about confirming the trade.

I haven't posted on RealGM in years, mostly due to my dealings with a certain Star Wars loving former mod over there.  There are a lot of great posters and staff members over there, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 03:47:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Lemarcus Alritch was seen at a local outback steakhouse>?>!!>!

No, LeDarko Milicic was seen at a SoCal takeout...purple monkey dishwasher.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:57:05 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Yeah, RealGM is better in that they ave a few sticky threads so you don;t have to start new ones for trde ideas that are worth talking about. ...

I actually dislike that aspect of RealGM.  I hate having one enormous generic "Trade Thread" where the specific guy you might want to talk about is buried on page 62 of 97, amongst the 35 other guys they're talking about.  I'd rather have a unique thread about that specific guy.

They have some smart, rational posters over there, just as there are here and on other C's boards.  They have their share of fools, too, as every board eventually will.

What kind of ethical "insider" would reveal anything meaningful on a Celtics fan board.  They certainly wouldn't remain on the inside if they did. 

One of their "insiders" used to repeatedly argue that Telfair deserved PG minutes over Rondo back in 06/07.  Just let that sink in.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:03:53 PM by Mencius »

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I'm always skeptical of "insiders", and generally don't like them on message boards, as they become a distraction.  Celtic Thug in particular posted a ton of trades that were clearly made up and that didn't work under the CBA, but when fans called him on it, they were largely attacked.  Common sense was flipped on its head, especially after one of the mods on RealGM at the time vouched for CT and declared him legit.  The only guy I saw with any legitimacy at all was the guy who claimed to be Big Al's cousin, who truly did seem to have some inside info about confirming the trade.

I haven't posted on RealGM in years, mostly due to my dealings with a certain Star Wars loving former mod over there.  There are a lot of great posters and staff members over there, though.

Really well put.

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The guys who claim to be "insiders" there are totally full of crap.  Maybe a couple lucky guesses once in a while, but if you look at their history of "insider" rumors it's blatantly clear they are making it up and looking for attention.  And yet a couple of those guys are widely respected on that board... Which speaks more to how foolish that community is.  Those "insiders" predicted with certainty that Asik was coming to Boston. Then they predicted with certainty that  Kevin love was getting traded to Boston. Then it was Greg Monroe.  Mostly they are just using common sense. It's the equivalent of psychic doing cold reading... Boston obviously needs bigs... Claim they are getting bigs. When it doesn't work out you claim it "fell apart at the last minute".

Some name-drop random execs... "Ainge just called everyone into a board room... Burke and Canon were there. Something big brewing" which the ignorant community eats up... But it's not all that impressive when you realize all the exec names are very public: http://www.nba.com/celtics/contact/front-office.html

The forum is poorly moderated and if you call out any of these jokers, the fanboys who swallow their garbage will fiercely defend them... Gotta get those juicy fake rumors... Don't wanna scare off the "insiders"!   

Also interesting... Nobody there has a track record of being right. Nobody can prove that they have a track record of being right... And yet there are several members of the forum who assume the "insiders" have a track record of being right, because they have seen others say so.  It's really weird. Nobody can personally vouche for any of these guys.  They just vouche for someone else vouching.  I heard one guy correctly guessed the celtics would draft olynyk.  Big deal.  Danny's track record of targetting stiff white guys is all you needed to make that guess.

Have not been there in a while (I seem to remember getting suspended once for exposing celticsthug... I posted an obviously fake parody rumor about pierce potentially getting traded for Rashard Lewis, the gullible fans took it seriously... I admitted I pulled it out of my butt to prove a point and got suspended for spreading false rumors), but last time I checked out that site everyone was worshipping some clown named "Larry birds finger"... Spoiler alert:  none of his insider info panned out.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:04:52 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
How do I get to the RealGM Celtics forum to which you all are referring?

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
It's really easy to pull fake rumors out of your butt.  Here, I'll reach up there and pull one out right now. 

"My sister says things were getting heated over on Causeway Street today... all the hard hitters were on deck... Ainge, Wyc, Pags, Gotham, Stevens, Brad's lap-dog Drew, etc...  There's been a bunch of internal debate about Cousins.   Ainge believes in him.  Others think he's not worth the price it will take to land him.  Part of the problem revolves around Marcus Smart.  Smart is inarguably the most valuable chip and the key to getting a deal involved with Sacramento.  There's some hesitancy to move him from members of the org who want to avoid another Billups/Joe Johnson type situation.  Some believe Smart will be a star.  Others see a ceiling.   Further complicating matters is that the Kings have thus-far shown little interest in Smart as a direct asset.  Apparently, Vlade is the point-man there now and has expressed doubts about Smart's future as a ball-handing distributor.  Contrary to public perception, the team still sees Ben McLemore and Nik Stauskas as a sharp-shooting tandem and is looking to acquire a play maker who can get them the ball.   Also, the Kings are adamant that they get a young center in any deal shipping out Cousins.  This rules out Boston's offer, which includes amongst other things Jared Sullinger and Marcus Smart.   There's been lengthy discussion with the Wolves as a third team.   Both Boston and Sac are coming at 'Sota on two fronts.  The goal is to get Sota to take on Sullinger and Smart (they are selling them on the idea of Wiggins as the main ball-handler with Smart and upcoming draftee Karl Anthony Townes forming a formidable defensive unit along with Wiggins)... Ricky Rubio and Dieng would be sent to Sacramento...  Cousins sent to Boston.  Obviously, lots and lots of details and draft picks still left to be worked out and the whole thing could fall apart.  Side note:  Sacramento had initially tried to pry the #1 pick out of 'Sota instead (and bypass Boston altogether), but Cousin's people have made it known that he's not playin in Minnesota.    ALl that said, look for restricted free agent point guard Brandon Knight to be a surprise target for Boston in free agency.    If Boston has their way, they'll throw a max contract at Knight to be Boston's starting PG after Smart is traded.  The team still sees Thomas as a back-up solution and supposedly Ainge is a big fan of the 23 year old Knight.  There's a belief that the Suns, who already have Eric Bledsoe, will refuse to match a max contract on Knight.  Of course, this requires Boston to dump Wallace's contract in order to support trading for Cousins and having cap space for Knight.  Thus far, the Kings are unwilling to take on Wallace's contract (they want the cap relief)... so Boston will need to work that out in a separate deal.  This all very complicated... I'll let you know if my sister hears anything else... but keep it to yourself guise, my sister's job is on the line here... that's why I'm posting it publicly on one of the biggest sports forums in the entire world..." 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:48:24 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd much rather be here. The mods here keep this place safe and clean. Enough people here will transfer any real news anyways.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 10:24:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'd much rather be here. The mods here keep this place safe and clean. Enough people here will transfer any real news anyways.
Yeah there's plenty of bogus rumors generating from the media as-is... no need to have fans coming up with them.

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
... but keep it to yourself guise, my sister's job is on the line here... that's why I'm posting it publicly on one of the biggest sports forums in the entire world..."

'keep it to yourself guise' as in disguise this, or keep it to yourself guys?