Author Topic: Thoughts on realgm  (Read 8712 times)

Thoughts on realgm
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:16:26 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Sorry if it is against the rules to talk about other sites here. I'm not trying to make any problems. I think this board has some pretty reasonable opinions and I would like to hear them on RealGM.

The Celtics board there has a few "insiders" members that claim that they have some connection and inside knowledge of the team. I've been reading there for years and they did have one guy break the KG trade before it happened so there could be something there. But then you get guys posting this like "I can't believe what I just heard" with no details leaving people to speculate like crazy. It got me thinking, are some of these insiders just guys working for the site trying to get more hits?

Re: Thoughts on realgm
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Sorry if it is against the rules to talk about other sites here. I'm not trying to make any problems. I think this board has some pretty reasonable opinions and I would like to hear them on RealGM.

The Celtics board there has a few "insiders" members that claim that they have some connection and inside knowledge of the team. I've been reading there for years and they did have one guy break the KG trade before it happened so there could be something there. But then you get guys posting this like "I can't believe what I just heard" with no details leaving people to speculate like crazy. It got me thinking, are some of these insiders just guys working for the site trying to get more hits?
I take every rumor without a source with a grain of salt regardless of where it is posted. However, I love NBA rumors so anytime I can read them (even if they are suspect) I do so.

I don't usually venture over there unless I hear that there is a rumor on there. If you ever read a rumor on there feel free to PM with it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's like this site but bigger and (inevitably)  dumber.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:45:25 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Anyone who has inside knowledge on what an NBA team is doing and chooses to reveal it on a basically anonymous message board should have their head examined. Anyone who says they do is lying.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 11:51:43 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

boy, i have to rummage around my poor memory, but cb had a few such persons here.

i think one of them were named celticsthug, who claimed to know someone inside the locker room or some such thing.

another was the infamously famous CROTOR, who lives on in inside jokes at cb.

these guys were a few years back. does anyone else recall more, or other such posters?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

boy, i have to rummage around my poor memory, but cb had a few such persons here.

i think one of them were named celticsthug, who claimed to know someone inside the locker room or some such thing.

these guys were a few years back. does anyone else recall more, or other such posters?

I've heard of this CROTOR. Who was he? What stuff did he say?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
CROTOR wasn't a poster, though. Someone reported something outlandish as "confirmed by CROTOR!" -- and the funny part was that no-one really knew what CROTOR was. The alleged, of course, didn't materialize.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 12:30:58 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
I remember Celtic Thug. I thought he was on realgm not here, maybe both. He is basically why I quit realgm. So obviously fake.

Everyone loves getting "tommy points" or +1s and being listened to so people just say they have an inside source. Like take my Rondo thread for example. I bet there would be 10 times as many replies if I said, "my girlfriend works for the Celtics and told me Rondo is coming back." And I'd be a superstar here lol. Hmmm, maybe I should edit it..

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I remember Celtic Thug. I thought he was on realgm not here, maybe both. He is basically why I quit realgm. So obviously fake.

Everyone loves getting "tommy points" or +1s and being listened to so people just say they have an inside source. Like take my Rondo thread for example. I bet there would be 10 times as many replies if I said, "my girlfriend works for the Celtics and told me Rondo is coming back." And I'd be a superstar here lol. Hmmm, maybe I should edit it..

Based on the few times I've seen someone try that, people would just get real snarky about your supposed source, and you'd get few if any TPs unless the rumor actually came true. 

Plus the smaller community means you wouldn't be able to pull it off for nearly as long as RealGM posters can. 

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
The years ive been reading realgm there hasn't been one rumor there that's come to fruition.
A lot of speculation and 'I have a guy who knows a guy who says this is possible'.

Message boards are a mecca for loneliness, attention seeking and fantasy-come reality types as we all know from the crap on this and every other sports forum.

Generally on realgm it's 'omg I just heard something big' with no detail or depth and a few desperate fan boys thanking and TPing the 'insiders' for their imaginations.

If someone can point out when one of these guys broke a newsworthy rumor then I'm all ears.

Don't get me wrong, the discussion on realgm is often solid and contains enjoyable clashes of opinions and reasoning, just the 'insiders' don't ever come to fruition with anything remotely close to reality in their claims.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

The thing that I like about the realgm celtics board is that they only have one thread for proprosed trades.   ;)

Hey Hemingway I like your cats TP for you

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 01:32:02 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
i think the guy ddb did really know something about the KG trade as I remember feeling pretty cool for knowing it a day or two before everyone else.

The thing I don't get is all the moderators on realgm claim they have confirmed these guys are insiders.

Yeah, RealGM is better in that they ave a few sticky threads so you don;t have to start new ones for trde ideas that are worth talking about. I mean, I'd like to talk about hypothetical trades all day long but if I make a new topic every day I'll p--- people off I think.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

yes, yes, please do. that would make everything much more credible. always start a thread with "i heard from my girl friend's cousin's uncle who works with someone who knows the boy friend of someone who has a connection with the celtics ball boy....  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
The thing that this site does much better is not making a flippin dog and pony show over who gets to be a mod. Talk about power trips over there. They post recaps of their tribal counsels where they vote on moderators and have a zillion rules for how someone can get warned and banned and get unwarned and unbanned. Seriously, there are many many game shows with fewer rules.

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Anyone mentioned the Deli Guy yet?  Person who claimed to see Reggie Miller (I think it was Miller) at a deli like a block from the Garden back when the Celtics were kicking the tires on bringing him into the fold back in '07, I believe?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team