Author Topic: Riley Pushing for Another Superteam?  (Read 1390 times)

Riley Pushing for Another Superteam?
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Interesting Yahoo article about Heat GM Pat Riley trying to engineer another superteam.

I hate to admit that Riley is a pretty good GM, but he got Shaq and then LeBron. That said, the notion that he could get Durant to come to Miami seems ridiculous to me. Especially if he expects Durant to take less than the max. And especially if Durant could play with 20-somethings Westbrook and Ibaka in OKC or Wall and Beal in D.C. as opposed to a bunch of 30-somethings in Miami.

What say you?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: Riley Pushing for Another Superteam?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 11:19:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Highly doubt Durant is going to go for Lebron's sloppy seconds.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Interesting Yahoo article about Heat GM Pat Riley trying to engineer another superteam.

I hate to admit that Riley is a pretty good GM, but he got Shaq and then LeBron. That said, the notion that he could get Durant to come to Miami seems ridiculous to me. Especially if he expects Durant to take less than the max. And especially if Durant could play with 20-somethings Westbrook and Ibaka in OKC or Wall and Beal in D.C. as opposed to a bunch of 30-somethings in Miami.

What say you?

Or Smart and Sully in Boston.
Errrr, never mind...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Highly doubt Durant is going to go for Lebron's sloppy seconds.
Your probably right but maybe show I can do 3 in row and Lebron can't. The East is easier.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I know I'm the only one who probably feels this way since Wade is my least favorite player ever, but I am sooooo glad Miami is screwing him over now for taking less to help them win two championships.  I love it.  Lebron flies in there, gets his two championships, then ducks out for max money and Wade is left saying, "hey where is my money?"  I love it!

I want to see the max player who is dumb enough to take less than max money from the Heat now to help build a super team.  I can see Durant talking to Riley now, "so... let me see if I have this straight, I take less to come here, win a couple titles, and when my knees become spotty you'll try to screw me out of max money later after I helped you out.  You know what Pat, can I call you Pat?  I think I'll pass but good luck with Bosh and Dragic."

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 12:40:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think they are building another super-team. Just a regular title contender.

None of their guys are top 10 players anymore. I do think they can acquire another star in FA but I don't see Durant joining them. I think it will be a lesser player. An All-Star or below All-Star level player. So with no MVP talent (unlike last time when Wade/LeBron were top two players in NBA in summer of 2010) and not even a single top 10 talent on the roster, I fail to see how Riley's new look Miami Heat team would be a super-team.

A regular contending team is all I see Riley trying to build there.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 12:45:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
There is no way Durant goes to Miami, but you can't blame Riley for asking. It will be interesting to see if they actually commit he max to Dragic long term, and if Dragic decides to stick with them or gets a better opportunity elsewhere. The Heat didn't fair so well after acquiring him, and ended up missing the playoffs.