Author Topic: Cleveland already preparing for excuses?  (Read 9543 times)

Cleveland already preparing for excuses?
« on: June 03, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Anyone catch the banner Cleveland hung up on their arena to promote the finals?

https://twitter.com/cavs/media

I don't have time to figure out how to post pictures, so if anyone wants to add it in, by all means.  But for now, there's the link to the Cavs twitter, it's one of the most recent picture they put up there.

To be fair, there are multiple banners being put up there, but one that's being hung on the side of the building is a giant picture of Lebron...with Anderson Varejao and Kevin Love standing behind him.  Maybe I'm just being extra anti-Lebron this morning, but I think it's completely reasonable to think that Lebron personally wanted this up there...a little subliminal messaging to remind everyone that he's doing this all by himself.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:05:29 AM by mahonedog88 »

Re: Cleveland already preparing for excuses?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:57:38 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't see how this is an excuse. LeBron is the face of the franchise, and one of the best players in the NBA. Why not have him front and center?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Anyone catch the banner Cleveland hung up on their arena to promote the finals?

https://twitter.com/cavs/media

I don't have time to figure out how to post pictures, so if anyone wants to add it in, by all means.  But for now, there's the link to the Cavs twitter, it's the most recent picture they put up there.

To be fair, there are multiple banners being put up there, but one that's being hung on the side of the building is a giant picture of Lebron...with Anderson Varejao and Kevin Love standing behind him.  Maybe I'm just being extra anti-Lebron this morning, but I think it's completely reasonable to think that Lebron personally wanted this up there...a little subliminal messaging to remind everyone that he's doing this all by himself.
my first thought is that it's absolutely crazy to have varejo and love on the finals poster

Maybe they are trying to convince love to stay

But i like your thought of the built in excuse

So TP because i feel extra hate-y toward brony this morning too
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:00:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't see how this is an excuse. LeBron is the face of the franchise, and one of the best players in the NBA. Why not have him front and center?
um he was referring to Love and Sideshow being on the picture.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:04:24 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119

Lebron being front and center has nothing to do with it.  It's the fact that for their big finals banner with 3 players on them, 2 of them aren't even playing.  1 has been out for basically the whole playoffs and the other has been out for like 5 months.

I refuse to believe that this was done by accident.  There was clearly some subliminal message planning going on here.  The real question is whether or not Lebron had anything to do with it.

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

He is THE best player in the NBA.  Has being for years.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
um he was referring to Love and Sideshow being on the picture.

Yeah, it seems really weird that they'd put Sideshow Bob up there even if he was healthy, especially weird given that he's been out a long time and will be out the whole Finals. Love is a star player, but he won't be making any Finals appearances, so having him up there is also a bit odd. I'm also kinda surprised LeBron didn't get his own banner all to himself.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

MVP votes disagree with you.

- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Lebron being front and center has nothing to do with it.  It's the fact that for their big finals banner with 3 players on them, 2 of them aren't even playing.  1 has been out for basically the whole playoffs and the other has been out for like 5 months.

I refuse to believe that this was done by accident.  There was clearly some subliminal message planning going on here.  The real question is whether or not Lebron had anything to do with it.
I don't get Sideshow, but Love I get.  Love is/was a key member of the team and you want him to know you want him here long term.  Should have been James, Love, and Irving on the poster.

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

MVP has nothing to do with who the best player is.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 11:13:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think that report trickling out about being like the "third weakest supporting cast" thing is certainly being a setup as an excuse if the Cavs lose the series.

I don't think this banner is an attempt as setup for an excuse, just dumb marketing stupidity by whoever green-lit it. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 11:19:40 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I don't get Sideshow, but Love I get.  Love is/was a key member of the team and you want him to know you want him here long term.  Should have been James, Love, and Irving on the poster.

I agree Irving should be on it, along with Love. But I'm fine with Sideshow Bob. He's been on the team the longest, right? I just think you guys are reading too much into it.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 11:22:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They probably had that banner ready to go months ago.

But don't worry, there will be plenty of excuses for the Brons if they get beaten convincingly by the Warriors.

I never expected the Cavs to contend in their first year of the Second Age of LeBron.  Only because the East is so weak did they even get there.  Making the Finals is a big enough accomplishment for this season for that team.  That's not how many will paint it if they lose, however.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

My guess is this was designed like this for one of three reasons:

Option A:  Lebron is the face of the franchise; AV has been around the longest; Love is a key free agent; or

Option B:  AV and Love aren't going to play in the Finals, but the Cavs want to reinforce that they're still a big part of the team; or

Option C:  The Cavs are trying to be "inclusive" and market to blacks, whites, and Latinos by including a player of each heritage

For whatever it's worth, Irving, Shump, Delladoeva, and J.R. Smith are the Cavs' twitter background image

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

MVP has nothing to do with who the best player is.

And so Lebron is just the definitive best player, no questions asked? I'd say Curry was the best player in the league this year, and Durant was the best player in the league last year. No arguing that Lebron was one of the best, though.

- LilRip