Author Topic: Pistons shopping # 8 overall pick  (Read 12680 times)

Re: Pistons shopping # 8 overall pick
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 11:39:25 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The back half of the top 10 is filled with teams reportedly willing to shop picks.

That speaks to a couple of things:

(1) A lot of teams that view themselves as playoff-caliber had disappointing seasons this year and want to rebound next year.

(2) The second and third tier of players in this draft are not especially highly regarded, at least not by the teams selecting in that range.
Well lets look at a team by team basis

Sacremento: badly need a 4 and a future pg. Only 4 worth taking in top 10 is Latvian and the good pgs will be gone by 4 most likely. Also need to make Cousins happy ASAP. Makes sense to trade out.
Detroit: Detroit would love to add either Euro, but both will probably be gone. Honestly I bet they just dont like Johnson and are afraid it will come to them and WCS and Johnson will be the only ones available.
Charlotte: they have had top 10 picks in the last 4 drafts (MKG, Zeller, Walker, Vonleh) they want to return to the playoffs after a regression last year. Adding some depth via later picks or established talent makes more sense than swinging for taking a redundant player (Johnson and MKG)
Miami: Reilly (spelled wrong priobably) willl certainly want to return to contention asap.

I think its more that BPA wont make sense for them rather than they dont like the prospects as prospects.

I think for each of these teams, there are situations where those picks become very available and very not available
Sacremento: Mudiay falls vs. Mudiay and Latvia go 4, 5
Detroit: Euros fall vs. WCS = BPA by far
Charlotte: WCS falls or Hezonja or Winslow vs. Johnson is BPA by far
Miami: they probably want to move out mo matter what
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:46:24 AM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Van Gundy would want Olynyk.
If Porzingris is available he's my guy at #8.

Olynyk+28+45 probably gets it done.

depending on who's available the #16+Olynyk would be a possibility too.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 11:45:48 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
TP for the news. I followed the Pistons a lot the second half of the season. They could be an offensive force with Olynyk. Olynyk + 28 + 33 should do it. I wouldn't give them 16.
Do you really think so? I

Its so hard to get a read on KO's value because hes shown for a quarter or two at a time that he can be a close to elite offensive weapon. I mean he has great bbiq, hes a good passer, hes tremendous at driving and finishing at the hoop, and can shoot the 3. Add to that that he seems to be adding some post moves modeled after Dirk(I assume).

Put him next to a rebound swalllowing rim protector like Drummond and I think you could be right.

If I could do this deal I would.

The Reggie Jackson-Andre Drummond duo became dominant when Monroe went down and stretch 4 Anthony Tolliver took his place in the starting lineup. On that team KO would be at best the 3rd option, so the concerns about his reluctance to shoot would be minimized.

I'm going to reform my hypothetical offer. Find a team in the 20-25 range that loves Upshaw. Trade them 28 + 33 for their pick. Send KO + the top 25 pick for #8. Pistons select Justin Anderson with the pick, one of the draft's prototypical 3/D wings.

Reggie Jackson
KCP
Anderson
Olynyk
Drummond

It's a young team -- and I'm sure they'd prefer to sign a vet 3/D SF while bringing Anderson along for a few years -- but I really think that team would make the playoffs purely based on fit.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 11:51:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
TP for the news. I followed the Pistons a lot the second half of the season. They could be an offensive force with Olynyk. Olynyk + 28 + 33 should do it. I wouldn't give them 16.

Naw KO stays . Sullinger can go. Don't be biased man =]

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 11:52:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Faried makes a lot of sense for Detroit.  Obviously Denver probably needs to give up more than that for #8, but I'm sure something could be done. 

Maybe Faried and Chandler for 8 and Butler (post draft so the salary counts)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Faried makes a lot of sense for Detroit.  Obviously Denver probably needs to give up more than that for #8, but I'm sure something could be done. 

Faried and Drummond does not make alot of sense actually

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Someone figure out a three-team deal that sees Brandon Jennings in SAC, Sully in DET, and picks/players/filler to Boston.

Edit: Guess I will:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qdlqj4h

#6 from SAC and #8 from DET to Boston. Boston probably needs to use some of their own picks to balance the deal out.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Offensively is a bit of a stretch, but Faried, unlike Monroe, is not an offensive player and thus has no reason to clog the lange.  Defensively it makes a lot of sense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 12:03:57 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Someone figure out a three-team deal that sees Brandon Jennings in SAC, Sully in DET, and picks/players/filler to Boston.

Just spitballing:

Sacramento: Jennings, Olynyk, 16

Detroit: Sully, Stauskas, Turner, 28

Boston: Thompson, 6, 8

How about this?  ;) I actually don't think it's too terribly far off from a fair deal given each team's needs.

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I agree with triboy. Faried and Drummond is not going to be on Van Gundy's agenda. He wants PF's that stretch the floor.
He'll probably draft Porzingris or he'd prefer Olynyk/Sully over Faried. There's literally no spacing with Faried on the floor.
Millsap would be great next to Drummond too.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Offensively is a bit of a stretch, but Faried, unlike Monroe, is not an offensive player and thus has no reason to clog the lange.  Defensively it makes a lot of sense.
In what world does Faried and Drummond make sense? Im sorry man because I know you like to point out that the Celtics have no hope in all these threads but you are wrong here.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 12:08:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Just spitballing:

Sacramento: Jennings, Olynyk, 16

Detroit: Sully, Stauskas, Turner, 28

Boston: Thompson, 6, 8

How about this?  ;) I actually don't think it's too terribly far off from a fair deal given each team's needs.

Ha, that's pretty close to the one I quickly drew up in the Trade Machine.

Have no clue if the other teams would do it, but trading Turner, Sully, Olynyk, 16 and 28 for 6, 8, and Thompson seems like a no-brainer. Zero cap damage, and consolidating assets into two top-ten picks? Yes, please.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Don't think the kings will want Jennings.  They will try to get Lawson without giving up the 6th pick

but here you go (missing some contract fillers)

To Sac: Jennings, ET, 16th pick, future 1st
To Det: Sullinger, Stauskus, 28th pick
To Celtics: 6th and 8th picks

6th pick: WCS
8th pick: Johnson

lineup

WCS
KO
Johnson
Smart
AB/IT

The other trade idea

To Sac: Lawson, Chandler, 7th pick
To Denver:  Stauskus, Landry, Collison, 6th pick

Nuggets choose: Winslow
Kings choose: WCS

Nuggets line up

Nurkic
Faried
Winslow
Stauskus
Harris

Sac lineup
Cousins
WCS
Gay
Mclemore
Lawson

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Cmon guys let's be somewhat realistic we are not getting #6 and 8 for sully and a few avg draft picks. Just to move up to 8 would likely cost sully, #16 and Dallas' pick next year..

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Cmon guys let's be somewhat realistic we are not getting #6 and 8 for sully and a few avg draft picks. Just to move up to 8 would likely cost sully, #16 and Dallas' pick next year..

you can't look at the 8th pick like it's some kind of awsome pick by itself. If this draft had guys like Derozan available at 8 then yeah.

This years 8th pick options are Hezonja (who knows if he will even come over, family issue),  Johnson (can't jump, had problems finishing around the basket in college),  Turner (gimp leg, little lift, lacks strength). so you don't give up the world for one of these guys.

I rather have Sully (and his improved body) alone vs any of these potential picks