Author Topic: If I was Mitch Kupchak  (Read 3327 times)

Re: If I was Mitch Kupchak
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 10:04:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If I were Kupchack, I would take Mudiay with the 2nd pick. Rebuild my team around him.

I'd try to get one of those 2nd tier FAs like Greg Monroe, Tobias Harris or Khris Middleton. Then try to get a bigger FA in 12 months time when Kobe is finally gone. I would not give Kobe a new contract if he requested one.

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 10:36:40 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Trade the #2 pick for the #33 pick. The #33 pick is incredibly valuable since it's not guaranteed.

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Agreed. I think Kareem is pretty great, though (don't tell anyone).

I have a somewhat-grudging respect for Magic, but I blame that on Larry being so nice to him.  ;D

As for the lakeless L.A. Lakers, if they want to contend once more while Kobe's still there, they have no choice but to go all in now, because he has only a couple decent years left. I'm not convinced that Love going to the Lakers is a given, but they need something like that to happen—sign Love, or trade for Cousins, or something else of similar magnitude.

And they probably need to do it while hanging on to the No. 2 pick, because that sad squad needs all the help it can get—unless they can use that pick as part of a package to land multiple good players, which I doubt, because they really have nothing else decent to package with it. I can't imagine the Kings, hapless as they are, trading Cousins for the No. 2 and a bunch of scrap parts. Particularly since Cousins is a known (and great) commodity, and the No. 2 pick could be the next Darko for all they know.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 11:12:02 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
I would amnesty Kobe, keep him away from the incoming rookies and free agents and remove the elephant from the room.
Start a fresh one season ahead of schedule.

The organisation is bigger than one individual.

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 11:24:01 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I don't think that George Karl wants to start over with a rookie.

I think if Cousins wants out, Sac will have to act fast not to be lowballed with offers and I think they can't do better than what LA has and; A) where Cousins wants to resign once his contract finished and B) players willing to go to Sac given their owners history of poor decision making aka 1,2,3 NIK ROCKS

https://youtu.be/rEN6ad_Aw-M?t=7m30s

* start at 7.30

Depends, If you really like Randle and Okafor then maybe it's the best offer they'll get. But neither of those guys is a Lebron/KD/Davis style transcendent talent. And that's if LA is really willing to offer that.

Let's say he stays in Sacto one more year, gives Karl a chance to prove he can put them in the playoffs. Next summer rolls around and it looks something like this:

Lopez opts out of Brooklyn, Signs with Milwaukee
Nets finish with the 4th-5th worst record
Mavs aren't able to make any major moves, they finish outside the playoff picture in the high lottery, maybe 10th.
We make a good push, but still end up a 6th seed, giving us the 19th pick.

Our picks would look like: #4-6, #9-11 and #19 plus two picks in the early 30s:

Who's gonna beat that package ?

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 11:31:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This last year with Kobe is just gravy.  They'll rake in plenty of ticket sales and probably put another fairly crappy team on the floor.  The current head coach, who is awful, will stick around.

You just got the #2 pick in a 2 player draft.  Thank your lucky stars that once again you have the chance to reload with a franchise big man and take either Towns or Okafor.

Head into the next era of Lakers basketball with Randle and Okafor / Towns as your top 2 guys.  With Kobe gone into retirement or chasing a sixth ring with the Clippers, fire Scott and hire somebody with a real acumen as a player development guy, somebody who can create a culture of discipline, accountability, and hard work. 

Make all of your moves with your two young big men in mind.  Forget about trying to compete right away for the sake of Kobe, or guys like Kevin Love and Rondo.  Forge a new identity for the Lakers as a big, bruising, team built around two All-Star caliber prospects down low.  Memphis West.

The basketball gods have gifted you a chance to rebuild the right way without having to spend more than a couple of years in purgatory, and your ticket sales didn't even really suffer because of it.

So it goes for the Lakers.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:36:38 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I would amnesty Kobe, keep him away from the incoming rookies and free agents and remove the elephant from the room.

This is satire, I assume?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

This is satire, I assume?

I am a hard man  ;)

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Screw the Lakers.

Except they some how wound up drafting #2 overall.  If they had fallen to six, they lose the pick.  No way the NBA allows that.  I think the NBA doesn't like the idea of screwing the Lakers.  Yep, conspiracy.  :-)
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."