Author Topic: If I was Mitch Kupchak  (Read 3328 times)

If I was Mitch Kupchak
« on: June 03, 2015, 01:26:51 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Just to be clear...I HATE THE LAKERS...i hate them more than the Yankees and Giants combined.

But for Kupchak, you have a decision similar to Mr. Overrated Phil Jackson, either build a competitive team now for Kobe or complete rebuild like us.

With their current situation I would go for the former and go for it now, and it can be done. I would build a package for Boogie Cousins with the 2 pick, next years 1st, Jordan Hill and Nick Young going the other way. This trade works both ways, LA get a star to give longevity to Kobe and with the 2nd pick Sacramento will pick up Okafor and using their own pick can select Caulie-Stein to supplant Okafor weaknesses. Then when this domino falls you will have a great situation for Love, come free agency.

Cousins
Love
(free agent)
Bryant
Clarkson/free agent

Lakers will have plenty of cap room to sign left over pieces and can even use Randle to pick up a young 2nd rate star.

(lets hope Mitch Kupchak doesn't blog  ;) and they suck for many years to come.

Re: If I was Mitch Kupchak
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:43:18 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The West is stacked atm so their domination can't start (yet), but I heard the Lakers can legit trade the #2 pick for Demarcus Cousins in an earlier article (pro ball talk iirc)

But since their head coach is Byron Scott...meh.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:44:14 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Screw the Lakers.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 02:34:19 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Agreed. I think Kareem is pretty great, though (don't tell anyone).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 02:49:33 AM »

• Bill Walton
Also if they added Cousins, could they get Carroll, Rondo and Love and be under the cap?

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:55:32 AM »

• Bill Walton
Agreed. I think Kareem is pretty great, though (don't tell anyone).

I'm actually starting to warm to Kobe in his old age but personally I've never liked Lakers players except for maybe Magic. Shaq was an arrogant Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. when he was with Lakers, Kareem is a self absorbed **** and apparently a terrible father, Wilt treated Bill like garbage in the latter stages of his career and MR Logo himself is the most negative disgruntled wealthy man I've ever heard of.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:18:40 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
LA doesn't have their pick next year, it's going to the Sixers via the Suns and the Brandon Knight/MCW trade. If Sacto makes a trade of Cousins this summer (Which I'm starting to doubt, but it's possible), they'll have to be okay with just the 2nd pick. LA (or NY for that matter) really don't have much besides this years picks to offer. If I'm Sacto, I want AT LEAST the 2nd pick and Randle plus a future pick or two, and maybe some of that Young/Hill flotsam.

Doesn't LA still owe Orlando a pick too ?

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 04:21:34 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
LA doesn't have their pick next year, it's going to the Sixers via the Suns and the Brandon Knight/MCW trade. If Sacto makes a trade of Cousins this summer (Which I'm starting to doubt, but it's possible), they'll have to be okay with just the 2nd pick. LA (or NY for that matter) really don't have much besides this years picks to offer. If I'm Sacto, I want AT LEAST the 2nd pick and Randle plus a future pick or two, and maybe some of that Young/Hill flotsam.

Yes they do, assuming that the Lakers give the 76ers their pick next year , they give their 2018 pick to Orlando (top 5 protected) otherwise 2019 unprotected.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 04:37:10 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

Yes they do, assuming that the Lakers give the 76ers their pick next year , they give their 2018 pick to Orlando (top 5 protected) otherwise 2019 unprotected.

In other words LA has no choice but to compete next season.
Between the Lakers and the Knicks, we won't have much chance at FA's signing.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 04:48:11 AM by LGC88 »

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 05:05:20 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

Depending on how Kobe returns and free agency goes for them , but if it turns South next year they could go the dump and keep their top 3 pick again.
3 straight years missing the playoffs , how will the Lakers fans cope. ::)

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 05:13:27 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

Depending on how Kobe returns and free agency goes for them , but if it turns South next year they could go the dump and keep their top 3 pick again.
3 straight years missing the playoffs , how will the Lakers fans cope. ::)

True, great point

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 07:31:09 AM »

• Bill Walton

Yeah but I think it all comes down to who gets the first domino to fall, as was the case with us in 07 trading for Ray, which allowed us to sign KG. I don't believe this non sense about everyone wants to play for the Lakers because of the weather and the publicity, if this was the case the Clippers would have won lots of championships by now and not been the flaming piece of crap that they have been since their move. Players want a foundation piece to know they will have the ability to compete, a great coach and front office, I don't even think big market matters anymore with the NBA League pass and Global marketing campaigns, KG essentially lived out of Boston when the season was over as does Tom Brady.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 07:31:21 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Here is hoping they sign Young and Lopez and make trades for Williams and Johnson from the Nets.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 07:33:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think that George Karl wants to start over with a rookie.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 07:46:13 AM »

• Bill Walton
I don't think that George Karl wants to start over with a rookie.

I think if Cousins wants out, Sac will have to act fast not to be lowballed with offers and I think they can't do better than what LA has and; A) where Cousins wants to resign once his contract finished and B) players willing to go to Sac given their owners history of poor decision making aka 1,2,3 NIK ROCKS

https://youtu.be/rEN6ad_Aw-M?t=7m30s

* start at 7.30