Author Topic: Brad Stevens on areas C's need to improve  (Read 10700 times)

Re: Brad Stevens on areas C's need to improve
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 12:27:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

And I get the feeling that you're severely underrating the 2013-2014 Spurs.

I agree, at least in the sense that the Spurs still had Parker and Ginobili, who were both still superb scoring ball-handlers who could make something out of nothing, for themselves and others.

Not to mention Duncan, who can still be a force on the low block when he wants to, and Kawhi, whose evolution into a very good scorer as well as an insane perimeter defender is what propelled them past the Heat.

The idea that the Spurs won a title without any elite individual scorers is kind of ridiculous.  What they did is win without any guys who took a high volume of shots on a game-to-game basis.

it's not ridiculous.  Look at the Hawks this season.   When was Milsap ever that good before?

The Hawks struggled in the playoffs because they lack exactly what I was talking about with San Antonio -- multiple guys who could turn it on and score 1-on-1 while still operating within the spacing / ball-movement system.

Teague, Korver, Millsap, Horford are all excellent players, but arguably none of them is on the same level as individual scorers as Parker, Ginobili, Kawhi, and Duncan.

Put another way, what made those Spurs so great is that, like this year's Warriors, they beat you in a number of ways.  They could play slower, inside-out basketball with Duncan on the block, they could play up-tempo, fast-break basketball, they could whip the ball around and find the open man three passes away, and they could rely on one or more of their stars to create a decent shot late in games when things ground to a halt.

That's the extra gear /  versatility the Hawks lacked.

You don't think if the Hawks had a legit rim protector they would of won at least 2 vs the cavs?  You don't think if the Celts had a legit rim protector that can stay out on the floor, we could of at least won 1 , 2 games.   Make Lebron think twice before driving in and also prevent Tristan Thompson from grabbing as many O rebounds as he did

In turn if we had a Jamal Crawford, I'm not sure that would of made much of a difference.

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Jay King: Two areas Stevens wants to improve: versatility, shooting. Said everyone will discuss rim protectors. "There?s only so many of those guys." Twitter @ByJayKing - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.wJilb5V7.dpuf

While we all want to say defense/rim protection, we were one of the worst (bottom 4) in fg% while being 15th in 3PA. The top 15 3p% teams included 13 playoff teams.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Jay King: Two areas Stevens wants to improve: versatility, shooting. Said everyone will discuss rim protectors. "There?s only so many of those guys." Twitter @ByJayKing - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.wJilb5V7.dpuf

While we all want to say defense/rim protection, we were one of the worst (bottom 4) in fg% while being 15th in 3PA. The top 15 3p% teams included 13 playoff teams.
My hope is that these numbers will go up organically by players improving. Arguments could be made for the increase in the 3 pt %'s of Smart, Olynyk, Bradley, Crowder, Young and Sullinger next year.

Honestly I think if we had more players who could create off the dribble, it would improve the quality of our 3 point looks as a team and thus improve our shooting.

I don't really care what type of skill the player has who we draft. I care that the player we draft could become a player with an elite NBA skill.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2015, 01:06:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

You don't think if the Hawks had a legit rim protector they would of won at least 2 vs the cavs?  You don't think if the Celts had a legit rim protector that can stay out on the floor, we could of at least won 1 , 2 games.   Make Lebron think twice before driving in and also prevent Tristan Thompson from grabbing as many O rebounds as he did

In turn if we had a Jamal Crawford, I'm not sure that would of made much of a difference.

The Hawks were lacking a couple of key ingredients against the Cavs -- a wing defender who could hope to check LeBron at all (b/c Carroll was injured) and any individual scorer who could punish the Cavs for using one of their most common and effective lineups. 

A rim protector would have helped, I guess, but for my money when you have Al Horford and Paul Millsap, your frontcourt isn't the problem.  The Hawks definitely could have used better big man depth (Scott, Muscala, and Antic aren't scaring anyone at the rim).

Still, give the Hawks a healthy Korver and Carroll and a couple of wing backups with size and reliable shooting -- say, for instance, Courtney Lee and Jared Dudley -- and I'd like their chances.

As for the Celtics, a rim protector wouldn't have helped them defend the perimeter any better, or hit open shots.

Replace Tyler Zeller with a guy like Greg Monroe or Brook Lopez, and Turner with Rudy Gay or Gordon Hayward, however, and I think the Celts could have won a couple games.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 01:25:08 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
this C's team is so lacking in talent anyway. Rim protection is one of them but there a bunch of other important holes to fill too. For example, if we can get a real go-to scorer, I'd be happy.

How many real go to scorers are there in the league??  Basically the few that exist are former #1, #5 picks.   You can win the way the recent Spurs have won by building a solid balanced , well coached team.

CBS is missing a rim protector that can stay on the floor.  If we add someone that can also operate from the post and pass out of the double team, IT , AB, Smart , Ko would have that much more space to shoot the ball

The Spurs had Duncan averaging 20 points 10 rebounds and protecting the rim. He was a top 5 center last season.  Parker was a top 5 pg and Kawahi was a top 25 player.

we need talent like that first, which is why we will probably take the best player available before filling needs. Perhaps the Clips pick or a 2nd rounder on a project big man, but it's going to be a year or two of steep learning for whoever comes in at that point.
Most late first rounders/2nd rounders turn into Ian Mahinmi types at best.
This team needs core talent which we are severely lacking at the moment.

The issue is we have the 16 pick. Not top 7 pick.     This years draft the talent level are similar from about 14 to 33 .   You could get Portis at 16 but Looney at 23 might end up becoming a better pro.   Wood at 27 might end up becoming better than Anderson at 19

So you have a little more room to draft based out of need imo. Even at 16 if we get a SG (BPA) i'm really hoping that Danny grabs even a Mahinmi type of guy at 28 or at worse 33.   Unless you want to draft 3 SGs or SFs, have 2 of them playing at the D league or draft and stash and have teams drive in against us at will. Especially when they been outplayed for 3 quarters , then the coach instructs them to just keep driving bc they have nobody to block a shot.

Um, I don't know if anybody suggested this.

- LilRip

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

I agree, at least in the sense that the Spurs still had Parker and Ginobili, who were both still superb scoring ball-handlers who could make something out of nothing, for themselves and others.

Not to mention Duncan, who can still be a force on the low block when he wants to, and Kawhi, whose evolution into a very good scorer as well as an insane perimeter defender is what propelled them past the Heat.

The idea that the Spurs won a title without any elite individual scorers is kind of ridiculous.  What they did is win without any guys who took a high volume of shots on a game-to-game basis.

it's not ridiculous.  Look at the Hawks this season.   When was Milsap ever that good before?

The Hawks struggled in the playoffs because they lack exactly what I was talking about with San Antonio -- multiple guys who could turn it on and score 1-on-1 while still operating within the spacing / ball-movement system.

Teague, Korver, Millsap, Horford are all excellent players, but arguably none of them is on the same level as individual scorers as Parker, Ginobili, Kawhi, and Duncan.

Put another way, what made those Spurs so great is that, like this year's Warriors, they beat you in a number of ways.  They could play slower, inside-out basketball with Duncan on the block, they could play up-tempo, fast-break basketball, they could whip the ball around and find the open man three passes away, and they could rely on one or more of their stars to create a decent shot late in games when things ground to a halt.

Call me crazy but I sincerely doubt having WCS on this team would've won us 2 playoff games.

- LilRip

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 01:48:44 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
While I agree a rim protector would be nice and a scorer is also greatly needed, but I'm really hoping they pick up someone who's a beast on the boards. I can't count how many second and third chances they gave up do to lack of rebounding. I believe it might have even cost them a game or two when they couldn't succure a rebound agains't the Cavs. Thompson destroyed them. A heathly and in shape Sully would help, but a Thompson type would be huge.

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Call me crazy but I sincerely doubt having WCS on this team would've won us 2 playoff games.

i disagree. He would of made a difference.  Lebron would of had his shot blocked a few times and also altered.   Grab a few defensive rebounds vs Thompson.   Get a few putbacks

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
There is no rookie that would have changed the outcome of any game in the series vs the cavs. If you argue about WCS possible defensive impact, you also have to consider the black hole he is offensively. Cleveland is just a much better team.

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 06:35:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Versatility, shooting, and rim protecting.

That doesn't sound like Greg Monroe.

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2015, 06:42:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

i disagree. He would of made a difference.  Lebron would of had his shot blocked a few times and also altered.   Grab a few defensive rebounds vs Thompson.   Get a few putbacks
so, is it official now? this thread has completely give up on using anything outside of conjecture, hopes, beliefs, and pre-existing emotional preferences?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 07:52:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Whelp

The C 's need SERIOUS  Talent to go with Marcus Smart and Thomas

They need to jettison Bass and Wallace ASAP

I like Crowder , Zeller  off the bench.....maybe Jonas on the cheap.

AB , Sully and KO.....need to be traded for a CENTER ....I d trade all three to get a great center for the C's .......then use the picks to get their replacements.

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 07:58:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

so, is it official now? this thread has completely give up on using anything outside of conjecture, hopes, beliefs, and pre-existing emotional preferences?

what?  the argument is if the Hawks had a legit shot blocker how it would of helped them vs the Cavs.   

The shot blocker doesn't have to be WCS.

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 02:18:42 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Well last summer our FO put a foot in the mouth with the "fireworks" comment. Maybe this is the opposite.

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2015, 02:19:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Winning. I think the Celtics should work on winning.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.