Author Topic: Bill Russell or Lebron?  (Read 6252 times)

Re: Bill Russell or Lebron?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I find the methodology behind the original list to be garbage, highlighted by things like Oscar Robertson for #1 (wore #14 in his prime) and Karl Malone for #11 (wore #32 in his prime), a lot of good players getting excluded off the list because of entries like that.  Only surprised they didn't include Jordan for #12 too.

That's like putting together a team of greatest Celtics made up of:

G - Gary Payton
G - Pete Maravich
F - Dominique Wilkins
F - Rasheed Wallace
C - Shaquille O'Neal

Agreed -- that said that's a hell of a starting 5 (Overall, not based on their Celtics tenure).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 04:46:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I find the methodology behind the original list to be garbage, highlighted by things like Oscar Robertson for #1 (wore #14 in his prime) and Karl Malone for #11 (wore #32 in his prime), a lot of good players getting excluded off the list because of entries like that.  Only surprised they didn't include Jordan for #12 too.

G - Gary Payton
G - Pete Maravich
F - Dominique Wilkins
F - Rasheed Wallace
C - Shaquille O'Neal
The question posed was who was the greatest player to ever wear the jersey #, not who accomplished the most wearing the jersey #.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Don't forget the olympics either

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

G - Gary Payton
G - Pete Maravich
F - Dominique Wilkins
F - Rasheed Wallace
C - Shaquille O'Neal
The question posed was who was the greatest player to ever wear the jersey #, not who accomplished the most wearing the jersey #.

The question Mitchell & Ness asked themselves?  That somehow makes it a less terrible question and methodology?

And again, they're saying John Stockton is better than Jordan?  Rick Barry better than Kobe? (I threw up in my mouth a little bit writing that, but true still). 

And then we get the weird hierarchies:

Rick Barry (who wore 2, 4, 24) is better than Kobe for #24, but not better than Moses Malone (#2) or Dolph Schayes (#4).  So does that means Dolph Schayes (who wore 4 and 55) is better than Kobe, but not better than Mutombo (#55)?

Also Moses Malone (who wore 2, 4, 8, 13, 20, 21, 22, 24) is apparently better than Rick Barry at #2, who is better than Kobe Bryant #24, who is worse than Kobe Bryant #8?

So as far as I can tell the Mitchell & Ness hierarchy leads up to the top of Mt. Mutombo.

Mutombo > Schayes > Moses Malone > Rick Barry > Kobe Bryant > Rick Barry > Moses Malone

???

(Hey, I know the list was all in fun and not that serious, just like it's fun to pick it apart).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 05:37:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

G - Gary Payton
G - Pete Maravich
F - Dominique Wilkins
F - Rasheed Wallace
C - Shaquille O'Neal

The question Mitchell & Ness asked themselves?  That somehow makes it a less terrible question and methodology?

And again, they're saying John Stockton is better than Jordan?  Rick Barry better than Kobe? (I threw up in my mouth a little bit writing that, but true still). 

And then we get the weird hierarchies:

Rick Barry (who wore 2, 4, 24) is better than Kobe for #24, but not better than Moses Malone (#2) or Dolph Schayes (#4).  So does that means Dolph Schayes (who wore 4 and 55) is better than Kobe, but not better than Mutombo (#55)?

Also Moses Malone (who wore 2, 4, 8, 13, 20, 21, 22, 24) is apparently better than Rick Barry at #2, who is better than Kobe Bryant #24, who is worse than Kobe Bryant #8?

So as far as I can tell the Mitchell & Ness hierarchy leads up to the top of Mt. Mutombo.

Mutombo > Schayes > Moses Malone > Rick Barry > Kobe Bryant > Rick Barry > Moses Malone

???

(Hey, I know the list was all in fun and not that serious, just like it's fun to pick it apart).
Hey I have no problem with thinking they are still full of crap, but I was just pointing out what they were supposedly looking at.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 06:29:22 PM »

Offline Boston-Attitude

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 2
What kind of stupid question is this!?

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 07:02:59 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
What kind of stupid question is this!?
Welcome to the forums and a TP for you.
You might want to check the original post on page 1.

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 07:09:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Of the many infractions Lebron's committed over the years, the worst for me was when he stopped wearing number 23, made a big deal about anyone else wearing it, calling it disrespectful to an all time great and the history of the game . . . and then . . . switched to number 6??!!!

Slap across the face, Celtics!!

And, not even a mention of the Doctor?

Philly fans should be livid.

I think that the reason he gave for #6 was that Dr. J was his favorite player growing up, so there's no disrespect toward him there.

The complete oversight toward Russell is unforgivable, though, especially since saying that the reason for the switch was because MJ is the best of all-time and nobody should wear his jersey.  (We all know the real reason:  #23 is retired in Miami, and that's where he intended to sign all along.)

Yeah, I love how often this is overlooked.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale