Author Topic: Bill Russell or Lebron?  (Read 6266 times)

Bill Russell or Lebron?
« on: June 02, 2015, 07:39:24 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Article on The best players in NBA history to wear each jersey number

Poll at the bottom of the page; do the right thing  ;D
Concluding paragraph:
//Biggest omission from the list? LeBron James. Sure, he's not going to overtake Jordan (see above) for No. 23. But No. 6? That spot was given to Bill Russell, who wore his signature number for the Celtics while winning 11 championships. But some -- maybe even this writer (bring out the haters!) -- believe James, who wore No. 6 during his four-year stint with the Miami Heat, is/was the better player.//

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/12992832/best-players-nba-history-wear-jersey-number?ex_cid=sportscenterTW
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:08:31 PM by greece666 »

Re: Bill Russell or Lebron?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 07:51:25 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Gigi's reaction to the article.   ::)

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 07:58:50 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
also note the omission of Bird

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:08:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
have fun folks. and find out why gigi was not listed.  ;D

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/numbers.cgi?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:09:34 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

I pick Bill Russell.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This really frustrates me. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Of the many infractions Lebron's committed over the years, the worst for me was when he stopped wearing number 23, made a big deal about anyone else wearing it, calling it disrespectful to an all time great and the history of the game . . . and then . . . switched to number 6??!!!

Slap across the face, Celtics!!

And, not even a mention of the Doctor?

Philly fans should be livid. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Of the many infractions Lebron's committed over the years, the worst for me was when he stopped wearing number 23, made a big deal about anyone else wearing it, calling it disrespectful to an all time great and the history of the game . . . and then . . . switched to number 6??!!!

I also enjoyed when he switched back to 23 and pretended he never said that.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
also note the omission of Bird

Abdul-Jabbar wasn't chopped liver.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:50:05 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
When I think of greatness, I think of the things one had to overcome. The mountains that one had to climb, the dragons one had to slay in order to achieve one's goals. Given this as a premise ( and some may argue  it's  a faulty one) and the courage and determination  the premise implies, Bill Russell makes le bron  james look like a little boy.

My screen name is actually a misnomer. I attended my first Celts game on a Saturday in the fall of 1959 vs Wilt'sWarriors. (Honestly, I was a little kid and I dont remember much about the game except the hotdogs and the popcorn and that our Celts won and my dad screaming some bad things at Wilt.) I think that I was vain in creating my screen name and not wanting to own up to being a csfsnsince50s.

Anyway, I followed the Cs ever since, maybe going to 2-3 games a year but always listening to the "fiddling and diddling " on the radio and the sports pages and the very, very infrequent TV games.

I didn't know a lot about Bill Russell, the person, back in the 60s. His struggles against racism, his political sensitivity and attuness and consequent personal struggles, his background of almost not making his high school team and the lack of interest in his basketball by colleges.

His greatness to me doesn't come from winning 11 titles alone. It comes from all the adversity  he had to overcome to get to the position were he got a chance to win titles.

His last two titles to me are the most impressive,  and from a sports perspective I fully understood their greatness even then. In '68 at age 34 the Cs were down 3-1 to Wilts now ' 6ers and became  at the time the first team to ever come back and win a series after being down 3-1 , led by a determined, clutch Russell in a real frantic finish. He held Wilt to 2 shots in the 2nd  Half of game 7. They  then went on to beat the Lakers in six.

In '69, as 4th seed and stumbling to the regular season finish, the Russell coached and inspired Cs beat favored Philly and New York and then beat the Heavily favored Wilt/Elgin /Logo original Big 3 Lakers in  a 7 game Tong war. Russ had 21 rebounds in that game 7.

THATS determination....THAT's courage.... When the anointed one (sickening) who has had everything handed to him accomplishes anything remotely similar to that, get back to me.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:34:28 AM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Sorry Lebron but you are not better than Russell

Simple facts

11 championships and 5 MVPs

Lebron just needs to wear another number other than the 2 greatest players of all time

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 09:59:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think that the reason he gave for #6 was that Dr. J was his favorite player growing up, so there's no disrespect toward him there.

The complete oversight toward Russell is unforgivable, though, especially since saying that the reason for the switch was because MJ is the best of all-time and nobody should wear his jersey.  (We all know the real reason:  #23 is retired in Miami, and that's where he intended to sign all along.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 09:59:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
With almost 43,000 votes counted we got a clear 66% victory on the whole of the country   8)
and we are in control of all States except 2:

Ohio (though the gap is small, 52-48)
and Wyoming (!?) 55-45 for LBJ.

Too bad they do not keep a separate track for the rest of the world, we would have made Brain happy if only  for one night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SBw6nVvJSo

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Ha!  Scott Pollard is best man for 2 separate jersey numbers.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 10:05:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Ha!  Scott Pollard is best man for 2 separate jersey numbers.
Ron Artest (sigh)