Author Topic: A Hypothetical of Hypotheticals  (Read 946 times)

A Hypothetical of Hypotheticals
« on: June 02, 2015, 07:30:56 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Today I read that SI has Boston and Sacramento basically swapping this years picks. Boston gets 6th, Sac gets 16, 28, and 33. So lets have some fun looking at the options at the sixth pick shall we?
The consensus is that if Boston were to pick at 6, then they would obviously pick Willie Trill Cauley Stein; after all Boston's biggest hole in the line up is at center right? We are amongst the worst teams in low post defense, allowing the 5th highest FG% withing 10 feet, progressively getting better further out into the court. With this in mind, WTCS would be a no brainer, after all, his defensive contribution is what puts him on the map, it is what makes him a potential lottery pick.
Some time last month I read, as I'm sure we all have, that Boston is interested in "talent". Yes, this statement is directed towards free agency, a reference to all of the "superstars" that are to hit the open market. But was it just a reference to free agency? What if Boston being interested in talent applies to the draft as well? Which brings me to my point.
At the number 6 pick there are two options for Boston, you either go with the big in WTCS, or you go for Winslow. Lets just assume that they are both available. When comparing talent, who is the better player? WTCS is the big that we desperately need, but Winslow might just be the next superstar. For the sake of comparisons, lets assume that WTCS has the potential to become a Tyson Chandler type of player, on the other hand Winslow has been compared to James Harden in the past.
Is it crazy to pass up a player like WTCS, who can arguably contribute on the defensive end right away. Is there any sense in picking up a player such as Winslow who has the potential to be an all star?

Re: A Hypothetical of Hypotheticals
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think it makes sense for the Celtics to take the best player available, even if that player is a PF.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:11:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If we had the sixth pick, I'd go with Mario Hezonja. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:24:46 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
There's not really a chance both will be available at 6. One of them is likely gone at 5 imo.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
My draft big board would be:

Justice Winslow

Willie Cauley-Stein

Stanley Johnson

Mario Hezonja

Honestly Johnson and Hezonja are interchangeable in that order because I love both of them as prospects.