Author Topic: Draft night trade idea (3 teams)  (Read 3757 times)

Draft night trade idea (3 teams)
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Maybe a 3 team deal w/ Denver can get us the 6th pick so we can draft WCS.

Here's the breakdown

Wallace, Collison, #16, future 2nd rd pick to DEN.

Lawson, Sully, #33, 2016 MIN or DAL 1st (Lottery protected) to SAC

Jason Thompson & #6 to the Cs.

1) Denver reportedly wanted two 1st rounders for Lawson, but he's said via Twitter he wouldn't mind leaving for Dallas. There was also reports that he was frustrated in DEN w/ Shaw. This certainly brings his value down slightly. 

2) I'd rather give SAC the MIN pick, but I'd do either to make sure the deal happens

3) Essentially we give up 2 first, 2 seconds, Wallace, & Sully for the 6th pick & Thompson.

4)I'm hesitant to take on Thompson's contract.

5) I'd rather trade K.O, but I think Sully has more trade value/ potential

Feel free to add or subtract any assets you think would make the trade more fair. Sometimes I tend to get the framework of a deal done, but don't put much thought into adding the necessary picks!

This trade leaves us w/ the 28th & 45th picks in the draft. It's likely we have to give up 28 instead of 33. But if we get to keep both, I'd say trade up for Justin Anderson or Robert Upshaw (both likely to be drafted between picks 18-28).

I'd consider trading Turner if we draft Anderson...Also maybe trading KO since we're taking on Thompson.

On the 1st day of Free Agency, Ainge should make his 1st call/offer to restricted FA Tobias Harris. Hopefully ORL doesn't match or worse case; both teams work out a Sign & Trade

Celtics new Depth chart (if ORL doesn't match) :

Smart/IT4/Pressey
Bradley/Young
Crowder/Turner or Anderson
Harris/Olynyk/Zeller/Thompson
WCS/Zeller/Upshaw

The thing I like most about this new team is the versatility!
Smart can play PG/SG.
Crowder, Turner, Anderson, & mayb Young (if he's ready) can play SG/SF.
 Harris can play SF/PF.
Zeller and KO can both play PF/C (Zeller showed he has a nice midrange jumper)
WCS could play C, and PF if he continues to develop his midrange game.

Best case scenario=Upshaw becomes our starting Center, which would likely result in benching Crowder and starting Harris at SF.

This would give the Cs a starting lineup of: Smart, Bradley, Harris, WCS, Upshaw.

Let me know your thoughts!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:52:41 PM by CsBanner18 »

Re: Draft night trade idea (3 teams)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
If WCS is the real deal, this seems like a low risk/ high reward type move. 

They only part that would give me pause is the part where you project 3 rookies in the starting 5.  Might get us a top 5 pick next year, but in doing so it also takes us out of the 2016 FA sweepstakes.  I'd prefer a path where we improve on last year's record & remain attractive enough to land a proven free agent when the cap rises.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 02:34:34 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
We don't have the CLE pick anymore, it was traded to the Suns as part of the IT deal

Also, I doubt that that would be enough to get Lawson from Denver, especially since dumping Wallace to them would likely cost a pick, so they're not getting very much at all in the deal
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Denver would hang up the phone immediately or start laughing in your face with this trade suggestion. Giving away Lawson for that package is not happening.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Here's the breakdown

Lawson, Sully, #33, 2016 CLE or DAL 1st (Lottery protected) to SAC

1) Denver reportedly wanted two 1st rounders for Lawson, but he's said via Twitter he wouldn't mind leaving for Dallas. There was also reports that he was frustrated in DEN w/ Shaw. This certainly brings his value down slightly. 

2) I'd rather give SAC the CLE pick, but I'd do either to make sure the deal happens

3) Essentially we give up 2 first, 2 seconds, Wallace, & Sully for the 6th pick & Thompson.

Feel free to add or subtract any assets you think would make the trade more fair. Sometimes I tend to get the framework of a deal done, but don't put much thought into adding the necessary picks!

This trade leaves us w/ the 28th & 45th picks in the draft. It's likely we have to give up 28 instead of 33. But if we get to keep both, I'd say trade up for Justin Anderson or Robert Upshaw (both likely to be drafted between picks 18-28).

I'd consider trading Turner if we draft Anderson...Also maybe trading KO since we're taking on Thompson.

On the 1st day of Free Agency, Ainge should make his 1st call/offer to restricted FA Tobias Harris. Hopefully ORL doesn't match or worse case; both teams work out a Sign & Trade

Smart/IT4/Pressey
Bradley/Young
WCS/Zeller/Upshaw

Smart can play PG/SG.
 Harris can play SF/PF.

Best case scenario=Upshaw becomes our starting Center, which would likely result in benching Crowder and starting Harris at SF.

This would give the Cs a starting lineup of: Smart, Bradley, Harris, WCS, Upshaw.

the end result is a lottery team. 

Harris would be the best player (but not at PF).  he has a better supporting cast in Orlando and he didn't fare to well there this year. 

I would prefer to do a deal to get #8 which would be cheaper and WCS still figures to be available.  you have the top 4 players followed by Winslow, Porzingis and Hezonja in some order going before WCS in all likelihood.

KO, #16 and maybe #33 to Detroit for #8.  KO fits better next to Drummond.  Try to sign Monroe in offseason.  draft WCS to play behind him (and with him as matchups dictate).  retains most of our 'good bench' players.  hope to use 28 on Wood rather than have to count on Upshaw being available and worrying his red flags will become a problem.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
We don't have the CLE pick anymore, it was traded to the Suns as part of the IT deal

Also, I doubt that that would be enough to get Lawson from Denver, especially since dumping Wallace to them would likely cost a pick, so they're not getting very much at all in the deal

Yeah, I realized that the CLE pick was gone right after I posted this. I don't think Denver should get a pick for taking on Wallace. Wallace is an expiring contract and Lawson has stated he wishes he could be a Dallas Maverick. They're getting Lawson's money off the books, a serviceable PG in Collison, as well as the 16th pick and a future 2nd

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Here's the breakdown

Lawson, Sully, #33, 2016 CLE or DAL 1st (Lottery protected) to SAC

2) I'd rather give SAC the CLE pick, but I'd do either to make sure the deal happens

Smart/IT4/Pressey
Bradley/Young
WCS/Zeller/Upshaw

Smart can play PG/SG.
 Harris can play SF/PF.

the end result is a lottery team. 

Harris would be the best player (but not at PF).  he has a better supporting cast in Orlando and he didn't fare to well there this year. 

I would prefer to do a deal to get #8 which would be cheaper and WCS still figures to be available.  you have the top 4 players followed by Winslow, Porzingis and Hezonja in some order going before WCS in all likelihood.

KO, #16 and maybe #33 to Detroit for #8.  KO fits better next to Drummond.  Try to sign Monroe in offseason.  draft WCS to play behind him (and with him as matchups dictate).  retains most of our 'good bench' players.  hope to use 28 on Wood rather than have to count on Upshaw being available and worrying his red flags will become a problem.

The premise of my trade is that Ainge will realize Cousins is not available, and act as a facilitator to get Lawson to SAC w/o Denver having to take on any bad contracts.

I don't see the end result being a lottery team. I see this team being a playoff team. I only put Upshaw in that starting lineup under the assumption he plays good enough to earn it. We made playoffs this season with a weak lineup of Smart, Bradley, Turner, Bass, Zeller. Smart, Bradley, Harris, WCS, Upshaw give us a huge upgrade as far as rim protection goes. Harris, WCS, Upshaw>Turner, Bass, & Zeller

Not to mention we'd still have a great  bench of IT4, Turner or Anderson, Young, Crowder, Olynyk (if not traded), & Zeller.

I wouldn't mind doing the Olynyk to DET trade I've seen 50 times. I just want to be 100% certain we get WCS. So whether it's 6 or 8, I could care less tbh

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 03:36:18 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
If WCS is the real deal, this seems like a low risk/ high reward type move. 

They only part that would give me pause is the part where you project 3 rookies in the starting 5.  Might get us a top 5 pick next year, but in doing so it also takes us out of the 2016 FA sweepstakes.  I'd prefer a path where we improve on last year's record & remain attractive enough to land a proven free agent when the cap rises.

I don't see the end result being a top 5 pick. I see this team being a playoff team. I only put Upshaw in that starting lineup under the assumption he plays good enough to earn it. We made playoffs this season with a weak starting lineup of Smart, Bradley, Turner, Bass, Zeller. Turner, Bass, & Zeller are all bench players. Smart, Bradley, Harris, WCS, Upshaw give us a huge upgrade as far as rim protection in the front court goes. Harris, WCS, Upshaw>Turner, Bass, & Zeller.

We'd still be a playoff team in the weak East. We'd be even more appealing to 2016 FAs

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 03:44:52 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Denver would hang up the phone immediately or start laughing in your face with this trade suggestion. Giving away Lawson for that package is not happening.

HIGHLY DOUBT Denver hangs up the phone. You're over exaggerating...they're getting a serviceable PG in Collison. Collison can start for this DEN team, which is in the loaded Western Conference and is going to be a lottery team again next year. They also get the 16th &  a future 2nd.

Like I said before, if u think there's something to be added than feel free to do so....The most I'd add is Olynyk. We're already giving up 2 first, 2 seconds, Sully & Wallace for the 6th pick. Not to mention we're taking on Jason Thompson's horrible contract

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 03:48:58 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I don't think Upshaw lasts past 16....

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 03:50:58 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yeah, I realized that the CLE pick was gone right after I posted this. I don't think Denver should get a pick for taking on Wallace. Wallace is an expiring contract and Lawson has stated he wishes he could be a Dallas Maverick. They're getting Lawson's money off the books, a serviceable PG in Collison, as well as the 16th pick and a future 2nd

One year left or not, Wallace is essentially dead weight, so taking up $10 million of their cap (even for one year) will cost us, especially since the deal could happen without us sending them Wallace (either via sending him to another team (like the 6ers) or by absorbing any salaries coming to us in our TPEs), which would also net them a decent TPE.  It may not take a first as high as 16, but at the very least it would take a late first

And whether or not he wants to be a Maverick, Lawson is still a very good player, so "getting [his] money off the books" shouldn't really be a concern for the Nuggets (it's not like he's overpaid)

I can definitely see the Nuggets deciding to rebuild and move Lawson, but it will take, at the very least, a pick with lottery potential (ex: Nets '16 or '18, C's '16, Mavs '16, etc.).  Collison and #16 this year just isn't enough, even without tying up their cap
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

One year left or not, Wallace is essentially dead weight, so taking up $10 million of their cap (even for one year) will cost us, especially since the deal could happen without us sending them Wallace (either via sending him to another team (like the 6ers) or by absorbing any salaries coming to us in our TPEs), which would also net them a decent TPE.  It may not take a first as high as 16, but at the very least it would take a late first

And whether or not he wants to be a Maverick, Lawson is still a very good player, so "getting [his] money off the books" shouldn't really be a concern for the Nuggets (it's not like he's overpaid)

I can definitely see the Nuggets deciding to rebuild and move Lawson, but it will take, at the very least, a pick with lottery potential (ex: Nets '16 or '18, C's '16, Mavs '16, etc.).  Collison and #16 this year just isn't enough, even without tying up their cap

Denver would be getting 10.1 mil off the books at seasons end. This along, with a guy like Winslow, and another lottery pick in 2016, will allow them to get a FA in 2016 (albeit maybe a 2nd or 3rd tier FA).

I'd add to the offer either Olynyk/Turner or a heavily protected  (at least top 20) future 1st that eventually turns into two seconds. The majority of the league already has a starting PG that their happy w/.

We got Wright, Crowder (both expirings) & a 2016 1st and a 2016 second for Rondo. Since Lawson can actually shoot as well as rack up assists, I'm willing to up the ante on the offer.

At the same time lets keep in mind that the majority of teams in this league already have a starting PG their happy with keeping. Of the teams that need a PG, some might not have enough assets to get Lawson. Also, there's plenty of PGs drafted every year that show enough potential to compete for a starting PG role on 1 of 30 teams. I think these two factors make DEN realize that the PG market isn't strong, and they say yes after seeing what I've proposed to add into the deal

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 07:40:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd expect Sacramento to make that deal but not Denver.  It looks like the trade works with Turner so I'd expect Denver would want him included instead of Wallace.  They'd probably want another pick as well.  If you give Sacramento the Dallas 2016 pick, you could shift the #33 to Denver. 

Turner, Collison, #16, #33, 2016 Philly 2nd rd pick  to DEN.

Lawson, Sully, 2016 DAL 1st to SAC

Jason Thompson & #6 to the Cs

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 08:35:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I don't think Upshaw lasts past 16....
As a fan its nearly impossible to tell with him because we dont have any info on his suspensions etc. However, for me, if you get kicked out of 2 D-I programs you probably did some really questionable stuff. He could slide into the 2nd round.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'd expect Sacramento to make that deal but not Denver.  It looks like the trade works with Turner so I'd expect Denver would want him included instead of Wallace.  They'd probably want another pick as well.  If you give Sacramento the Dallas 2016 pick, you could shift the #33 to Denver. 

Turner, Collison, #16, #33, 2016 Philly 2nd rd pick  to DEN.

Lawson, Sully, 2016 DAL 1st to SAC

Jason Thompson & #6 to the Cs
16, Turner, Sully, Dal 2016, 33, 2016 Philly 2 for Thompson and 6?

seems a bit much.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.