Author Topic: S.I. Mock Draft: Celtics get Kings No. 6 pick for No. 16, No. 28 and 33  (Read 14970 times)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If they're going to do 16, 28, and 33 for the 6, why then would they not want to keep the 6, and trade Cousin's (plus whatever else it might take to make $ work) and pull a rebuild?  Seems that would be the better deal for them.

Exactly, tommy pt. 
No way they want to add three rookies to play alongside DMC & Rudy.  Here's a good rebuild trade for them:

Sac trades DMC & Rudy for a package that includes the Knicks #4 pick, #16, #28, 2016 BK 1st, Bradley, Young + the expiring deals of Wallace and Bargnani. 

Knicks get Rudy Gay, both KO & Sully and that future Dal 1st in exchange for #4 and Calderon. 

Celts add DMC while keeping IT, Smart & Crowder in the fold.  Absorbing Calderon's salary is a limiting factor, but worthwhile if its the key that unlocks a Demarcus trade for us. 
you've gutted the team and left nothing.  IT, Calderon and Crowder are bench players.  Smart is a bench quality player right now that we're HOPING will become more.  DMC has a better supporting team in Sac.  he'd be looking to bail out of here quickly.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hasn't Sacramento been rebuilding for 10 years? If you have a top 10 player in the league and your team still sucks and is still finishing deep in the lottery, you don't trade your top 10 player. You trade your other players and picks and put great players next to your top 10 player.

Trading Cousins to rebuild when your team already sucks is just dumb unless Cousins is the problem, which he is not.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If you really want to think outside the box you could try to steak 4 from NYK then move down to 6 as 4 gets Sacremento a potential star pg. But that is just too confusing to even think about.
interesting approach.  I could see Sac wanting to nab whoever's left between Russell or Mudiay.  some questions I would have are
1. what's the end goal for the C's in this deal?  who are they targetting with #6?  Is Winslow, Hezonja, Porzingis or WCS worth that much?
2. what would the C's have to give up to get #4 from NY?  I would think it'd take any decent player we have plus 2-3 picks.  AB, Sully, this year's firsts and next year's Brooklyn pick?  Maybe have to swap Smart for AB?  hate to spend multiple assets for a unproven player
3. what would the C's get from Sac for swapping picks?  what do they have that's valuable enough to move up 2 spots?  there's no one on that roster I want other than Cousins.  would one of their future firsts be enough?  what's the appeal since we already have a bunch of future picks and Sac may be improving enough to make the pick non-lottery by the time it's transfered to us.

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
If they're going to do 16, 28, and 33 for the 6, why then would they not want to keep the 6, and trade Cousin's (plus whatever else it might take to make $ work) and pull a rebuild?  Seems that would be the better deal for them.

Exactly, tommy pt. 
No way they want to add three rookies to play alongside DMC & Rudy.  Here's a good rebuild trade for them:

Sac trades DMC & Rudy for a package that includes the Knicks #4 pick, #16, #28, 2016 BK 1st, Bradley, Young + the expiring deals of Wallace and Bargnani. 

Knicks get Rudy Gay, both KO & Sully and that future Dal 1st in exchange for #4 and Calderon. 

Celts add DMC while keeping IT, Smart & Crowder in the fold.  Absorbing Calderon's salary is a limiting factor, but worthwhile if its the key that unlocks a Demarcus trade for us. 
you've gutted the team and left nothing.  IT, Calderon and Crowder are bench players.  Smart is a bench quality player right now that we're HOPING will become more.  DMC has a better supporting team in Sac.  he'd be looking to bail out of here quickly.

I disagree. 
Thomas & Smart are our best players, great fits alongside DMC. 
And we'd keep all our stretch 4's who make Brad's system run so well -- which is ideal for DMC no matter where he goes. 

And we'd still have some room for a free agent like Paul Pierce. 

Calderon / Thomas
Smart / Turner
Pierce / Crowder
Bass / Jerebko
DMC / Zeller

In my opinion, that lineup looks like an eastern conference contender.  Lots of shooters, defenders who can switch 2-4, an ideal p/r point guard & the best big in the east. 
No?

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Hasn't Sacramento been rebuilding for 10 years? If you have a top 10 player in the league and your team still sucks and is still finishing deep in the lottery, you don't trade your top 10 player. You trade your other players and picks and put great players next to your top 10 player.

Trading Cousins to rebuild when your team already sucks is just dumb unless Cousins is the problem, which he is not.

Exactly, and trading your #6 pick for a bunch of Celtics flotsam is no way to improve either. The Kings should be looking to move #6 for a borderline All-Star at the 1, 2 or 4.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The Kings are more likely to want NBA players over multiple picks -- they have a new owner who wants to be relevant.

I think a deal of 6 for 16 with either Bradley or Olynyk involved is more realistic.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I think you'd have to be crazy to not take this if you're a C's fan.

Agreed.  Unfortunately, you'd have to be crazy to take it if you were a Kings' fan.

But, yeah, I think you have to throw in KO or Sully for them to accept it, which I'm fine with. But, mannnnnn, WCS would look REALLY nice next to Love  ;)
[/quote]

Am I the only person here who thinks it would be awesome if we traded for Rudy Gay and then put him in the front court next to Kevin Love?  Think of the possibilities!

Mike

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Celticsblog posters would celebrate!

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Get 6 and take my boy if he's there... I'm a proud American, I want JUSTISE for all! :D
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Get 6 and take my boy if he's there... I'm a proud American, I want JUSTISE for all! :D

Haha TP !

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Bradley + Olynyk + #16.

If Ainge and co. really think the guy they'd get at #6 could make a huge impact for the team (e.g. Winslow or WCS), I'd be totally on board with trading the above pieces to get the pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
3 solid guys. This draft has depth, high chance that 1 of the 3 might become a very good starter if they pick well.
Don't think for a moment that #6 is a lock all star caliber. The % that this will happen is let's say around 15%
I think the trade is fair.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
well that would be cool if it could realistically happen.  Kings are pretty poorly managed so who knows.

well that would be cool if it could realistically happen.  Kings are pretty poorly managed so who knows.

I think it could certainly happen. Sacto knows Boogie is an inch away from demanding a trade, they have to do something.

I'd be really surprised if it's this exact deal though. I've been saying Sacto would be a great trade-up partner for us for months now. They're gonna want players, and we have players that fill their needs. Foremost, they need a competent ball-handler, a forward who actually compliments Cousins and a guard who can play defense isn't far behind. Plus, they have a couple bad contracts they would love to get rid of that could drive the price down. So let's say we offer something like this

Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger/KO (One or the other), #16 and #28/#33 (One or the other) to SAC
For: #6, Carl Landry OR Derrick Williams, Ben McLemore
Boston Takes Justise Winslow with #6, Sacramento takes Cameron Payne at #16, Dakari Johnson at #28

That's a good deal for both sides. Sacto has a kind of log-jam at the two with both Stauskus and McLemore being recent lottery picks, but neither can play D or handle the ball. They get Bradley to start next to Payne and Stauskus (A Karl favorite) to be the 6th man. Both Sullinger and KO would for very well next to Cousins.

For us, we give up a lot but it still sets us up well. Getting Winslow, IMO, would be a great step towards building a contender. Giving up Avery, who has real tangible value in this league hurts, but with a back-court of Smart, McLemore and IT with Winslow and hopefully Love would make for an even better team than last years with a better long-term outlook. We would then have to sign a rim- protector somewhere on the FA market, and I think Koufos is that guy. At least for the next year or two. We could also use #28 or #33 (whichever they don't take) for Upshaw. We would also re-sign Crowder and trade off Wallace. Young would be in a position of few minutes again, so it may be best to trade him for either rim-protecting help of future assets. So next year would look something like..

Smart/IT/Pressey
McLemore/Turner/Young
Winslow/Crowder/Turner/Young
Love/Sullinger or KO/Jerebko?
Koufos?/Zeller/Upshaw

I like that team, most of our leadership guys from last year are still there (minus AB). That team would have a excellent chance at the least the 4 seed, all of our long term assets are still there and those guys fit Stevens really well. Likely? No. Nothing ever is. But totally possible.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
A rumour I like at the moment is Sacramento trading the #6 to Denver for Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried.

Denver then rebuilding around the #6, #7 picks and Nurkic.

While Sacramento get Ty Lawson to go along with Cousins, Gay and Faried in the frontcourt. Keep McLemore and Stauskas as young two guards. That would be a team that could cause problems in the playoffs.

Darn, I don't think our offer would top that. Great trade for Denver even if they're serious about a rebuild.

Or make it a 3 team deal with Faried and Lawson going to the Kings, the 16th, 28th, 33rd, and maybe one of our future firsts to the Nuggets, and the 6th pick and maybe we take on a semi bad contract Gallinari? even having Nelson again or something like that to the Celtics.  I'm not ready to give up on KO just yet, so I'd rather see if we can pull off something like that.  The Kings need proven players now to keep Cousins happy, and the Nuggets need to hit the reset button with taking a contract off their hands and giving them plenty of picks.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I watched Stein closely for 3 years folks and im telling u, he is not worth it and im a huge UK fan...hope im wrong...he is great against smaller, lesser teams but against top teams, he just not that good..Look at Wisconsin game...his basketball IQ isnt that great
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin