Author Topic: Butler player joins C's coaching staff  (Read 4455 times)

Re: Butler player joins C's coaching staff
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 04:10:31 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Since we are on the topic

//The New Orleans Pelicans are in "advanced negotiations" to lure assistant coach Darren Erman away from the Boston Celtics, according to ESPN's Marc Stein. [...]

Boston hired Erman last summer for the second time after he and the Golden State Warriors went through a messy divorce. Despite his toxic end with then-Warriors coach Mark Jackson, Erman is viewed highly in many NBA circles. He helped shape the Celtics defense last season, and, like everyone on the staff, devoted a lot of time to player development.

Before getting traded, Rajon Rondo called Erman the best coach in the league at scouting reports and likened him to "a miniature (Tom) Thibodeau."//

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/06/boston_celtics_rumors_2015_new.html

He's actually already accepted the job. Big loss. Was working with Smart this summer too.
Very big I wonder if it was money. I hate to lose one over money. NOLA is warmer for sure.

This probably happens all the time throughout the league and I wouldn't know it but why does CBS keep losing all of his best assistant coaches? The PR machine says they love him and he treats them all like they can be head coaches, why do they keep jumping ship?

If anything he's doing a great job and putting these coaches in a good position and they are proving themselves.  It's pretty much the same thing he is doing with players.  Hard to be critical of that.

This is how a lot of coaching stuff works.  A lot of these guys want to keep moving up so you're going to lose them.  It's kind of unfortunate for the Celtics to keep having such a good group that it keeps getting pillaged by other teams but hard to knock them for getting good people and developing them or at the least letting them be successful.  Ainge and Stevens both seem to be good at that.

I don't have anything negative to say about CBS, just trying to figure out why people keep leaving so quickly, we need them. Why aren't they more loyal. LOL I get job positioning and what not but dang these bros ain't loyal. :)
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why does Erman have to leave??

He was head of scouting. Isnt that a bigger position than being an assistant??

Why not just give him a job as an assistant if he really wants to coach

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

From the first moment that they hired Gentry, the question was 'what about our D?'

+Working with arguably the most talented young player in the league.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 05:04:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

From the first moment that they hired Gentry, the question was 'what about our D?'

+Working with arguably the most talented young player in the league.

Does Davis need anymore tips to be a great defender? I mean i kind of get it. Still dont want to lose erman. Our overall d this past season was great. Especially since we didnt even have 1 legit shot blocker and went small ball late in games

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@ triboy16f

Going back to the original topic of the thread.
Maybe Stevens wants Barlow to do more than watching tapes.

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Maybe the assistant coaches on the C's that have ambition are realizing that BS will be here for a long time.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 06:51:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Maybe the assistant coaches on the C's that have ambition are realizing that BS will be here for a long time.

or leaving like Adams to try to take a shortcut to win a ring

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Since we are on the topic

//The New Orleans Pelicans are in "advanced negotiations" to lure assistant coach Darren Erman away from the Boston Celtics, according to ESPN's Marc Stein. [...]

Boston hired Erman last summer for the second time after he and the Golden State Warriors went through a messy divorce. Despite his toxic end with then-Warriors coach Mark Jackson, Erman is viewed highly in many NBA circles. He helped shape the Celtics defense last season, and, like everyone on the staff, devoted a lot of time to player development.

Before getting traded, Rajon Rondo called Erman the best coach in the league at scouting reports and likened him to "a miniature (Tom) Thibodeau."//

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/06/boston_celtics_rumors_2015_new.html

He's actually already accepted the job. Big loss. Was working with Smart this summer too.
Very big I wonder if it was money. I hate to lose one over money. NOLA is warmer for sure.

This probably happens all the time throughout the league and I wouldn't know it but why does CBS keep losing all of his best assistant coaches? The PR machine says they love him and he treats them all like they can be head coaches, why do they keep jumping ship?

If anything he's doing a great job and putting these coaches in a good position and they are proving themselves.  It's pretty much the same thing he is doing with players.  Hard to be critical of that.

This is how a lot of coaching stuff works.  A lot of these guys want to keep moving up so you're going to lose them.  It's kind of unfortunate for the Celtics to keep having such a good group that it keeps getting pillaged by other teams but hard to knock them for getting good people and developing them or at the least letting them be successful.  Ainge and Stevens both seem to be good at that.

I don't have anything negative to say about CBS, just trying to figure out why people keep leaving so quickly, we need them. Why aren't they more loyal. LOL I get job positioning and what not but dang these bros ain't loyal. :)

I kinda agree, Boston seems like a great organization to be with,  but I think there's just personal ambitions and goals to deal with.

There was a great interview with Ron Adams (now of Golden State but was Stevens assistant last season) who said it was very hard to leave Boston.  He loved everyone (especially Ainge) but he had the Golden State offer and he saw them primed to win, and he's older.  But seems like it was difficult for him.

I think, especially with younger guys, they're gonna be concerned with moving up if they can.  A guy like Adams was just taking his best shot while he has it.  It seems to me though that people like working with Stevens and love Ainge so I'm not concerned.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
There are only 30 teams in the NBA. If you want to be a head coach, now or eventually, you have to get after whatever more senior position is open. Loyalty ain't got nothing to do with it.

I don't know if you saw in the broadcast of Game 1, but Blatt was almost one of Kerr's assistant coaches: got offered the job, took the job, but then the Cavaliers came in at the 11th hour and offered him a head coaching gig. Kerr gave him his blessing, and here we are.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
There are only 30 teams in the NBA. If you want to be a head coach, now or eventually, you have to get after whatever more senior position is open. Loyalty ain't got nothing to do with it.

I don't know if you saw in the broadcast of Game 1, but Blatt was almost one of Kerr's assistant coaches: got offered the job, took the job, but then the Cavaliers came in at the 11th hour and offered him a head coaching gig. Kerr gave him his blessing, and here we are.

I guess I was joking with alone, I wasn't being serious about loyalty, this is a business. "These bros aint loyal" is just a play on a popular song.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)