Author Topic: Butler player joins C's coaching staff  (Read 4461 times)

Butler player joins C's coaching staff
« on: June 02, 2015, 05:58:47 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
//Barlow, who chose Butler four years ago because he wanted to learn basketball from Brad Stevens and follow Stevens into the coaching ranks, has followed Stevens into the NBA. Barlow's first day on Stevens' staff was Monday in Boston, where Barlow has started working for the Celtics as a video assistant. [...]
Even before his first day in the profession, Barlow was seen as a rising star in coaching. His coach at Butler the past two seasons, Chris Holtmann, says Barlow will make an exceptional college coach – which is the same thing Barlow's high school coach at Cincinnati Moeller, Carl Kremer, has believed since Barlow was a prep senior.//
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2015/06/01/alex-barlow-joins-brad-stevens-butler-boston-celtics/28335101/

PS I know, I know he's a lowly video assistant, but when it comes to the C's I love paying attention to otherwise insignificant details.

Re: Butler player joins C's coaching staff
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 07:34:41 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
PS I know, I know he's a lowly video assistant, but when it comes to the C's I love paying attention to otherwise insignificant details.

I like any details about the C's as well, specially when it comes from the organisation.
From the security guard to the top players, everything matter as a whole. That's what makes this franchise one of the greatest.
Little detail like that makes me a happier fan.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Since we are on the topic

//The New Orleans Pelicans are in "advanced negotiations" to lure assistant coach Darren Erman away from the Boston Celtics, according to ESPN's Marc Stein. [...]

Boston hired Erman last summer for the second time after he and the Golden State Warriors went through a messy divorce. Despite his toxic end with then-Warriors coach Mark Jackson, Erman is viewed highly in many NBA circles. He helped shape the Celtics defense last season, and, like everyone on the staff, devoted a lot of time to player development.

Before getting traded, Rajon Rondo called Erman the best coach in the league at scouting reports and likened him to "a miniature (Tom) Thibodeau."//

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/06/boston_celtics_rumors_2015_new.html

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

//The New Orleans Pelicans are in "advanced negotiations" to lure assistant coach Darren Erman away from the Boston Celtics, according to ESPN's Marc Stein. [...]

Boston hired Erman last summer for the second time after he and the Golden State Warriors went through a messy divorce. Despite his toxic end with then-Warriors coach Mark Jackson, Erman is viewed highly in many NBA circles. He helped shape the Celtics defense last season, and, like everyone on the staff, devoted a lot of time to player development.

Before getting traded, Rajon Rondo called Erman the best coach in the league at scouting reports and likened him to "a miniature (Tom) Thibodeau."//

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/06/boston_celtics_rumors_2015_new.html

He's actually already accepted the job. Big loss. Was working with Smart this summer too.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I wonder if there are any coaching staff employees that actually got along with Mark Jackson?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Spolstra started out as a film guy, right?

They can move up
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Jon Jennings started out as a video guy and made it all the way to the White House.
You just never know ha ha.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

He's actually already accepted the job. Big loss. Was working with Smart this summer too.
Very big I wonder if it was money. I hate to lose one over money. NOLA is warmer for sure.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 12:39:04 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Very big I wonder if it was money. I hate to lose one over money. NOLA is warmer for sure.

Sounds like he moved from #3, at best, to being #2--in a warmer climate, farther along in building a team, but in the more challenging conference.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 12:45:07 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

This probably happens all the time throughout the league and I wouldn't know it but why does CBS keep losing all of his best assistant coaches? The PR machine says they love him and he treats them all like they can be head coaches, why do they keep jumping ship? Okay, GSW was a move anyone would take but NO? I know they have AD but let's keep in mind he would not have made the playoffs if KD didn't go down. Will probably miss the playoffs a lot more until he bolts.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

This probably happens all the time throughout the league and I wouldn't know it but why does CBS keep losing all of his best assistant coaches? The PR machine says they love him and he treats them all like they can be head coaches, why do they keep jumping ship? Okay, GSW was a move anyone would take but NO? I know they have AD but let's keep in mind he would not have made the playoffs if KD didn't go down. Will probably miss the playoffs a lot more until he bolts.

Anthony Davis. It's probably as simple as that. And Mardi Gras.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Spolstra started out as a film guy, right?

They can move up

Yeah he did. His dad was involved with the Trail Blazers, I believe, but Spoelstra is hardly a portrait of nepotism.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 02:07:56 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Stevens rep is at the point where working for him automatically legitimizes you in the minds of GM's and other coaches.  Probably owners too eventually.  Expect the C's to continue to be a bit of a revolving door as far as coaching staff is concerned.  At least as long as CBS's reputation continues to grow.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
He's the associate head coach in NO, meaning he's probably positioning himself to be a head coach soon. A higher position helps that.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 03:21:21 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

This probably happens all the time throughout the league and I wouldn't know it but why does CBS keep losing all of his best assistant coaches? The PR machine says they love him and he treats them all like they can be head coaches, why do they keep jumping ship?

If anything he's doing a great job and putting these coaches in a good position and they are proving themselves.  It's pretty much the same thing he is doing with players.  Hard to be critical of that.

This is how a lot of coaching stuff works.  A lot of these guys want to keep moving up so you're going to lose them.  It's kind of unfortunate for the Celtics to keep having such a good group that it keeps getting pillaged by other teams but hard to knock them for getting good people and developing them or at the least letting them be successful.  Ainge and Stevens both seem to be good at that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford