Author Topic: Austin Ainge : we could use more SF's like Crowder  (Read 1916 times)

Austin Ainge : we could use more SF's like Crowder
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Marc D'Amico: Austin Ainge said defensive SFs have great value: " Jae Crowder did a great job for us in that role this year; we could use a few more like that." Twitter @celtics - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.FnEbZfKN.dpuf

Makes sense to me since we need guys who can physically match up with Lebron over the next 5 years.

Stanley Johnson would be a perfect fit with lots of upside if we can trade into the top 10. I really like a Crowder/Johnson duo at the sf position because crowder can play some PF too. The defense at SF would be near all-nba level for the full 48 mins , and Johnson has a chance to become a butler/Leonard type all-star

Justin Anderson and Hollis -Jefferson who both worked out for the C'S today fit that role too, but they don't have the potential of Johnson IMO.

Re: Austin Ainge : we could use more SF's like Crowder
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:38:01 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
there is a reason Jae is much better at his role now, several seasons into the league, than he was as a rook.  Same with Demarre Carrol, Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green, and Kauai Leonard.  Were any of these guys even top 10 picks? 

the NBA is a man's game, most of these rookies haven't played 82 games in their entire lives, much less over the course of 6 months.  they need seasoning.  they need to understand the difference between defending 24 seconds vs. 35.  they need to add physical strength, then go out on the court and use it to earn respect from their opponents.  all this needs to culminate before you have a player of Jae Crowder's ilk. 

so, while I agree with the quote OP posted from Austin -- I have to disagree with the strategy of filling this hole with unproven rookies.  Smart and Young are enough for now.  Lets add some vets who understand roles around them, not more wide-eyed rookies who don't even know what playing an NBA role looks like. 

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Ainge didn't say we need more SFs like Crowder , he said he need more players like Crowder. A subtle, but very important difference.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 09:10:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Ainge didn't say we need more SFs like Crowder , he said he need more players like Crowder. A subtle, but very important difference.

Yeah.  I think we already have some guards in the backcourt that have that kind of attitude and aggressiveness.

We could use some forwards with that kind of presence on the court. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I think when he was speaking of Crowder, he was speaking about his hard nose attitude, phisical play, and tough defense, plus his willingness to grow and improve his game. 

When I heard we got Jae Crowder in the trade, I really wasn't familiar with his game. It didn't take long to see what kind of player he was. I'm sure Dallas would love to get him back. I'm really hoping we sign him and fast.

Yeah, a power forward like Crowder that is 6-9 or 6-10, sign me up.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 09:18:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
We need more players like Scalabrine on our team, that guy is a legend.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:12:07 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

Smart
Bradley
Crowder
Aminu
Cousins

coached by assistant Thibodeau (reportedly a possibility) would be a devastating defense.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Always good to have guys fighting hard on low money looking for a raise, different story once they get paid.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 12:14:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I watch a good amount of UVA basketball .  His injuries hurt the team . He was struggling to recover.

I was hoping he was on the Celtics radar. ......he does play Celtic ...in your face ball.

Justin Anderson had more of the ....Smart and Crowder  fire .......than Young had shown.

He might be an upgrade over Young overall .   ......Justin comes from a lock down defensive system.

Celtics fans will like what he can do on defense .

He will be a good player ,  but I know myself we need a serious BIG head busting , rim protecting , athletic center worse....

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 12:18:42 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Smart
Bradley
Crowder
Aminu
Cousins

coached by assistant Thibodeau (reportedly a possibility) would be a devastating defense.

I wish!!! I'm crying just wishing this was real. In fact, even without Aminu, Sully and/or KO would be just fine. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy can't I just wiggle my nose and make this reality? hmmph.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)