Author Topic: Lowe/Flannery - "Is Marcus Smart really untradeable?"  (Read 4104 times)

Re: Lowe/Flannery - "Is Marcus Smart really untradeable?"
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 10:22:45 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Smart isn't untradeable. but I'm not trading him for Cousins and surrounding Cousins with Avery Bradley and Brandon Bass and thinking - "bring on the next championship".

ideally i'd prefer to add Cousins to Smart and say a Love or Aldridge. But I am open to moving Smart if and only if we're guaranteed to land Cousins and a couple bigger name players. trading Smart for Cousins and the current roster? no thank you.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 10:28:44 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think we have to be careful about turning into the Kings east if we give up too much in a Cousins deal.  Ainge was adamant about keeping Rondo when KG was on the table and he may be the same with Smart.  Saying all this Cousins has 3 years left on his contract and my guess is the Kings won't trade him now, as they have time to work with to keep him happy. 

We might have to wait a year and check back in on him, and we might be better off to see what kind of leap if any Olynyk, Sully, Smart, Young, Bradley and the rest of the young guys make.

If however we were to try and trade for Cousins now I'd push hard on a Zeller Sully package as a solid young front court along with picks (the Nets pick if need be but maybe you can top 5 protect them or something).  If we were to somehow land Cousins say on draft night it will only help our chances of landing Love.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I doubt anyone is "untraceable" but I'd sure hate to see Marcus go.  If we can't get any top notch player without sending Marcus on his way, I'd rather we bide our time a little longer. 

Let's just run it back next year, collect our draft picks, keep developing assets, see if we can't make another playoff run, and go from there.

I don't see any need to rush it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 11:30:47 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Agree with the OP. I understand we all love Smart but we need to be realistic - he's a 2nd-team All-NBA rookie. Not sure that is going to be a head-turning centerpiece to trade package for many GMs. Without including Smart, there's no chance. Our picks aren't all that enticing compared to other options.

Edit: If I were DA, the only guy I would consider near untouchable, at this very moment, is IT. Think people often underestimate his talent, what he did for us, and his worth relative to his contract if he can fit in interpersonally. As of now, no signs he can't.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:02:05 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 12:28:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
For me he is .......save A.Davis

Dude is full of fire.

He is the perfect guard to add a couple stars to.

Drummond , Aldridge , Cousins or maybe Noel would be cool.

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 02:47:39 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think we have to be careful about turning into the Kings east if we give up too much in a Cousins deal.

People are forgetting a big key to why the Kings have been so bad - coaching and management.

The Kings have had some reasonable talent over the years, but they have never had anything even resembling stability in modern times.

Adding Cousins to this team (even in it's current form) improves us in a massive way.  He adds a number of dimensions to this team (go-to scorer, rim protection, rebounding, inside scoring, drawing fouls at a high rate) that we are sorely lacking right now. 

I think that adding DMC this team alone pushes us from 7th in the East, to top 3 in the East.

You can add Cousins alongside either our current Power Forwards (Olynyk, Sully) or a number of big men (Love, Aldridge, Deandre, Monroe, Gasol, Noel) and either way you have a match made in heaven.

Cousins is that good and versatile that he can form a deadly frontcourt duo with just about any talented big.

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 05:12:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We don't have enough to get Cousins unfortunately.

But yeah I don't see anyone having a problem with letting Marcus Smart go if it meant getting Cousins.

Problem is we are about 6th or 7th in line as far as trade chips go to get him.
Getting Cousins to Boston would be basically impossible.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 06:46:37 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
We did manage to get Ray Allen and KG without giving up our best young assets in Rondo (I believe at least one of them really wanted him), Perk,  and TA.

We gave up draft picks (Green was the only lotto) and younger players who we were willing to move on from and haven't exactly made the deal look one sided (Big Al, Delonte West, Gerald Green.)
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)