Author Topic: Demar DeRozan  (Read 3582 times)

Demar DeRozan
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:44:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Not sure if he'll be available this summer but if so, I think Derozan is a quasi big name which could be a big upgrade to our roster.

So, I was wondering if Bradley, Sullinger, and the 16th pick for Derozan is something that the Raptors  would consider.

Derozan averaged 20 pts per game last season and feel like he would be a big upgrade over Bradley at the 2.

Re: Demar DeRozan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
He's a better version of the opposite of Jeff Green.  I know that makes no sense, but what I mean is that he will score consistently no matter what, but will never elevate his game.  So he'll always just kind of be scoring at random and it will always be on the same pace for 20 PPG.   You can't count on him in big moments, but at the same time you also don't have to worry about him being shaky in big moments.  He just kind of plays his game.  I like him better than Bradley and he's only 25; I think Stevens could dramatically improve his game.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:59:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Derozan is just such a poor jumpshooter.  A bit lacking in shot selection at times, and lives mostly off of his ability to get to the rim.

Very good player, but not a guy who is going to lead you to a title.  Decent 2nd/3rd option, though, if surrounded by shooters.

Not worth the haul the OP is offering.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:03:55 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Ujiri said that he has no emotional connection to any of these players because they are from the era before him. If Ainge gave him a adequate offer I'm sure he'd part with him. just imagine if Stevens had an offensive player like Demar Derozan. Also I think instead of 16 I'd send them 28, 33, and the Mavericks 1st rounder next year.
Grab Dekker at 16. Sign Tristan Thompson for around 10 mil

PG: Marcus Smart
SG: Demar Derozan
SF: Sam Dekker
PF: Tristan Thompson
C: Tyler Zeller

Would be a really young fun team to watch. We could then use our pick and Brooklyn's pick next year to grab a Center and another position like maybe point guard after we've seen Smart's development over 2 years.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Celtics need to bring in a star-caliber player.  I don't consider DeRozan to be a legitimate star that the Celtics need.  A random real star plus Avery Bradley is a better two-man combination than a random real star plus Demar DeRozan because Bradley has a better complimentary skill-set, so I don't think DeRozan is a long-term upgrade over Bradley if your goal is to position the team to win championships.

Moving DD to small forward and having him replace Evan Turner, on the other hand....
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 07:14:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
DeRozan would be fantastic but I cannot imagine Toronto letting him go at such a low price.

I don't see a Bradley, Sully, #16 package amounting to much in trade market.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 07:37:31 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I wouldn't be against Derozan - we certainly need a scorer.  But Derozan is not a very good perimeter shooter by any standards, so I'm not sure how he'd fit alongside Smart and Turner.

If we could sign him then ultimately I'd like to start him at Small Forward.  I think a Smart/Bradley/Derozan could have some potential - that's a solid trio on both ends of the floor.

I just don't see it working out trade wise.  I think Toronto could use a guy like Sully because they don't have a great PF, but does it make any sense for them to trade Derozan (who's probably their second best player) and downgrade at SG in order to upgrade at PF?  Seems like a downgrade to me.

The only way I think it's worthwhile for them is if the trade includes Bradley and Sully for Derozan...but is Derozan worth giving up that much for?  Also this introduces the aforementioned issue with court spacing (Bradley is probably the best shooter our of our starters). 

I'm definitely intrigued by the idea, but with 3 years still left on his contract, I'm not sure there is any offer that would work for both teams.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 07:46:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
There were rumors that Ujiri wanted to blow up the Raptors if they got swept by the Wizards because he thought their core was limited as to how far they could go in the playoffs, so it is possible that DeRozan would be available.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Ujiri said that he has no emotional connection to any of these players because they are from the era before him. If Ainge gave him a adequate offer I'm sure he'd part with him. just imagine if Stevens had an offensive player like Demar Derozan. Also I think instead of 16 I'd send them 28, 33, and the Mavericks 1st rounder next year.
Grab Dekker at 16. Sign Tristan Thompson for around 10 mil

PG: Marcus Smart
SG: Demar Derozan
SF: Sam Dekker
PF: Tristan Thompson
C: Tyler Zeller

Would be a really young fun team to watch. We could then use our pick and Brooklyn's pick next year to grab a Center and another position like maybe point guard after we've seen Smart's development over 2 years.

I don't think the Cavs let Thompson walk. He's carved quite a niche for himself as a very solid rebounder. Believe or not, I think the Cavs would rather let KLove walk than let TT go.  Also, it looks like LBJ has become quite chummy with Thompson.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Derozan isn't someone I want DA to specifically target, but I wouldn't be upset if he replaced Turner/Bradley. Ultimately, it's probably more of a lateral move.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
There were rumors that Ujiri wanted to blow up the Raptors if they got swept by the Wizards because he thought their core was limited as to how far they could go in the playoffs, so it is possible that DeRozan would be available.

Yup.

Which is why I proposed this idea.

I remember reading the same thing

Trying to find the link but can't seem to find it ???

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Derozan isn't someone I want DA to specifically target, but I wouldn't be upset if he replaced Turner/Bradley. Ultimately, it's probably more of a lateral move.

I just think we need more shooters and guys that can crank up the points on the offensive end.

I remember reading CBS saying the same thing regarding the offseason.

Bradley did improve last season with his shooting yet was still very streaky at times and especially in the playoffs.

I just think Derozan is an upgrade over Bradley (JMO.)

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 08:16:10 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I just think we need more shooters and guys that can crank up the points on the offensive end.

Bradley did improve last season with his shooting yet was still very streaky at times and especially in the playoffs.

I agree that he's an upgrade, but not by much. My problem with him is that he isn't really a shooter and comes off as a one-dimensional, low IQ offensive player. However, if we snag him at a good price, I'd welcome him with open arms. I'd be interested to see if CBS can add dimensions to his game and get him to evolve into a real offensive stud.

Side note: if we get him, we'd have to compensate for his defense with strong defensive 3s and 5s. I'd also probably lose interest in Love if we got DD, that would be one terrible tandem (and not in a good way).

Edit: I genuinely believe the Raptors are going to be the next team (after Denver) to blow up and go into full rebuild, so I expect DD to be available sooner rather than later.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

DeRozan has more rebounds and assists and gets to the line way more, but he is a huge downgrade over Bradley when it comes to perimeter shooting.