Author Topic: What if Drazen Petrovic had signed with the Celtics in 1995?  (Read 4099 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
There is a new book about the Croatian basketball star.

According to the book, Drazen had decided to return to Europe and his first choice was Panathinaikos, even if he had many more offers. He wanted to stay for one or two seasons in Greece and then return to the NBA in order to sign with the Celtics. It’s been said that he had a soft spot for teams which had the shamrock as their emblem, like Panathinaikos, Notre Dame and the Celtics. Fate had other plans for him…

Petrovic died in the summer of 1993.  The 94-95 Celtics lost in the first round after squeaking into the playoffs with a 35-47 record using a starting lineup of Sherman Douglas/David Wesley, Dee Brown, Dominique Wilkins, Dino Radja, and Eric Montross.  The 95-96 season had Radja, Montross, Wesley, Brown, Dana Barros, Rick Fox, Greg Minor, Todd Day, Eric Williams, and Pervis Ellison all average at least 20 minutes per game while playing in at least 50 games, while finishing 33-49.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: What if Drazen Petrovic had signed with the Celtics in 1995?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:38:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cool story; I had never heard that.

I doubt that we could have done much more than become a middling playoff team, just because we were capped out and Drazen would have been 30 in that first season.  Still, it would have been awesome to see him in green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:51:40 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Imagine a team with Len Bias, Reggie Lewis and Drazen Petrovic all together. One can only dream.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:07:32 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Cool story; I had never heard that.

I doubt that we could have done much more than become a middling playoff team, just because we were capped out and Drazen would have been 30 in that first season.  Still, it would have been awesome to see him in green.

I agree, replace Wilkins with Drazen and the Celts move from the 8th seed to the 3 seed, I don't see them beating Indy or Orlando in the playoffs.  No Eastern conference team was beating the Rockets that season. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Imagine a team with Len Bias, Reggie Lewis and Drazen Petrovic all together. One can only dream.

Add Joe Dumars to that dream core. The Celtics were one pick away from getting him in 85.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 10:26:57 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Add Joe Dumars to that dream core. The Celtics were one pick away from getting him in 85.

The Celtics were also one pick away from Dirk, Duncan, and Durant off the top of my head, it means nothing.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 11:06:17 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

The Celtics were also one pick away from Dirk, Duncan, and Durant off the top of my head, it means nothing.

Well, while the Celtics were a pick away from Dirk, they still got Pierce so there's not a lot to complain about there. They were 2 picks from Duncan and 3 picks away from Durant.

The difference between those guys and Dumars is that those guys were all top-lotto picks. Dumars was at the very end of the round when he was drafted. He was a huge steal. Very rarely do end of the round draft picks pan out so it could have been special. Plus imagine how well the Celtics could have drafted in those three years.

85-Dumars 86-Bias 87-Lewis. Pretty awesome trio. And technically, none of these hypothetical teams mean anything because they aren't reality, but a guy can't help but wonder right?

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 11:23:03 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
i wish i was older and had seen Petrovic play more then just watching a few clips. i do remember a NBA game on the SNES before Jordan got his name removed that also had Petrociv. if the game was anything to go by (and other sources confirm this) he was one of the best shooters of his time.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 12:06:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Kind of moot as he sadly passed in 1993.