Author Topic: Would you trade #16 for Anthony Bennett?  (Read 18263 times)

Re: Would you trade #16 for Anthony Bennett?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 09:48:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yes I'd do it. But don't think Flip would especially since Payne lost. Do you really think Flip would Flip the switch on this trade LB?

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would not, he is one of the worse number ones pick ever.   Career .393% shooter.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2991473/anthony-bennett

Even with the eyesight improvement he only shot .42%, he shows inability to rebound, score and block shots.  I think the sleep apnea thing is an excuse, I have it and it makes you tired some but it can be treated with a machine to where it is no a big deal. As for the eating and weight, do we really want this guy with Sully on the team, who is better.   If we got him I and keep Sully I am buying Golden Corral stock.

Pass!   This blog is amazing, never ceases to believe that people will become an all-star for us when they been a bust their whole career.   I would have thought the playoffs tempered that for us after ET's vanishing act.  But no, it continues.

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I'd like to take a chance on Anthony Bennett but there are a couple of players available at #16 that I like more than him so no I wouldn't do this specific trade.

Even if I wanted to take a chance on his talent, I think his salary makes it a no go. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'd like to take a chance on Anthony Bennett but there are a couple of players available at #16 that I like more than him so no I wouldn't do this specific trade.

Even if I wanted to take a chance on his talent, I think his salary makes it a no go. 

That's true.

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

That's true.
It's a really fair point... I had it in mind as well, but figured it was still an idea worth thinking about.    It could definitely be accomplished, but I'm all about freeing up max cap space this summer.  It could get interesting if it involved a 3rd team and coincided with our attempts to dump salary.   For example, could Sota sweeten the deal by sending a lesser asset to a 3rd team that would help us to dump Wallace.   Sota is going to be active this summer... you gotta figure they have to trade Pekovic or Dieng since they have TOwnes coming in.  So they'll probably get a couple assets for either of those guys... what if one the assets they receive is a future late 1st... what if that's the late 1st that could be packaged with Wallace?   Alternatively, what if a Bennett for 16 move coincided with us sending out a guy like Olynyk for Dieng (a popular idea on this forum)...  That's more complex than this thread needs to be... more just wanted to explore whether people felt Bennett was a better gamble than whatever we're getting with the #16 pick.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:05:46 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 11:12:22 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
No we already have better forwards

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 11:17:28 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Not for 16. But would do it for 2 second rounders and Pressey.

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 11:26:36 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Absolutely not.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just don't have any confidence that Bennett will ever be a reliable rotation player. 

Why not just re-sign Jonas Jerebko for less money and keep the 1st round pick?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 01:03:59 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
As another poster has pointed out, he has a career field goal % under 40% and we are going to pay him almost $6 million next year plus give away some of our draft assets? If the Wolves would give us a future 1st round pick to take him off their hands, then sure, why not?

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 01:17:04 PM »

Offline McNoob

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I'm not against Anthony Bennett as a player, but he wouldn't get many minutes in Boston. He'd be in the same situation as in Minny - receiving 10-15 minutes per game at most, and not being able to establish any rhythm. He needs a defined role to increase his confidence and development at the NBA level, but there's no way that's happening with the logjam at PF the C's have (especially with talks of Love and LMA).

I will say Stevens is radically different than Saunders in that he gives minutes to the better player, regardless of contract, experience, etc. So if Bennett were to play better than Olynyk/Sully/etc., there's a chance he could supplant them, but I don't see it happening.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I just don't have any confidence that Bennett will ever be a reliable rotation player. 

Why not just re-sign Jonas Jerebko for less money and keep the 1st round pick?

It's a matter if you think a skilled 22 year old will finally make it or not, it's really that simple. If you think he will never become a reliable player, then there's really nothing worth pondering on your side.

If you think he has the making of rising above it, then it's something you consider.

The way he transformed his body entering the 2014-2015 season, showed a lot of promise to me. More so than the loss of a draft pick (which shouldn't be of consequence, it's a matter of judging prospects and going with whichever you feel is best, you're simply substituting one prospect over another), I think it's more of a financial decision and the level of risk that accompanies it.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 01:37:48 PM »

Offline Jferrari401

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Very interesting idea. As far as buy low candidates go, Bennett is probably one of my favorites. I think that people would be a lot less negative about his future if he had been picked 3rd instead of first. That being said, as other people have said I would rather do this in a trade that included later picks or players that we no longer saw in the future. I have no idea what is enough to bait the Wolves into trading him, but based off of your post they do not think too highly of him. I wonder if a package of Kelly and pick 28 could work.
I told the driver Lenny swing me by the garden I gotta talk to Pat
Showed him some stacks
Then showed him the gat like ‘you’re gonna miss the finger roll right?’
Yes, Mr. Baklava

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

That's true.
It's a really fair point... I had it in mind as well, but figured it was still an idea worth thinking about.    It could definitely be accomplished, but I'm all about freeing up max cap space this summer.  It could get interesting if it involved a 3rd team and coincided with our attempts to dump salary.   For example, could Sota sweeten the deal by sending a lesser asset to a 3rd team that would help us to dump Wallace.   Sota is going to be active this summer... you gotta figure they have to trade Pekovic or Dieng since they have TOwnes coming in.  So they'll probably get a couple assets for either of those guys... what if one the assets they receive is a future late 1st... what if that's the late 1st that could be packaged with Wallace?   Alternatively, what if a Bennett for 16 move coincided with us sending out a guy like Olynyk for Dieng (a popular idea on this forum)...  That's more complex than this thread needs to be... more just wanted to explore whether people felt Bennett was a better gamble than whatever we're getting with the #16 pick.

I don't think Minny's frontcourt is that crowded...Pekovic can start at C with Towns at PF, right? Dieng and Bennett off the bench. It's not like Adreian Payne made a compelling case for more minutes with his 41% shooting from the PF spot.

And Pekovic is more likely than not to miss half the season based on his injury history and off-season surgery.

That said, I think if they move anyone it'll be Pekovic...which made me visualize a nightmare scenario where we swap #16, but with Wallace for Pek. Ugh.

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's a matter if you think a skilled 22 year old will finally make it or not, it's really that simple

He is not skilled.

He averaged less than 4 RPG, less than 1 APG, shoots under .40% for his career and less than .5 SPG and .5 BPG.   What skills exactly does he possess.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2991473/anthony-bennett