Poll

Bigger Disappointment: 2012-13 Lakers or 2013-14 Nets?

LA Lakers
23 (100%)
Brooklyn Nets
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Bigger Disappointment: 2012-13 Lakers or 2013-14 Nets?  (Read 1444 times)

Bigger Disappointment: 2012-13 Lakers or 2013-14 Nets?
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:58:34 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I've been meaning to make this thread for a while now.

Which of the two do you guys feel was the bigger disappointment in regards to the hype surrounding each superteam? The 2012-13 Lakers with Kobe, Dwight, Nash, and World Peace or the 2013-14 Nets with D-Will, Pierce, KG, and Johnson?

The Lakers were considered championship favorites and the Nets were the one team that everyone thought could finally dethrone the Heat in the East. Both cases are perfect examples of how the "win now" mode can backfire but how do you think Billy King's failed experiment ranks against that Lakers team?

Re: Bigger Disappointment: 2012-13 Lakers or 2013-14 Nets?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:20:21 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't think its even close. It's definitely the Lakers. The Lakeshow had 3 (possibly 4) Hall of Famers on their starting 5. They may have been aging outside of Dwight but the season before they showed they were all still reasonably around the top of their game. I remember the expectations were sky high for that team and I don't remember the same expectations being placed on the Nets. The warning signs were definitely there (They had no bench or defensive talent outside of Dwight and Dwights back problems were evident) but the 2012-13 Lakers were massively disappointing considering all the talent they had. As much as I hate the Lakers, I thought they were going to thrash their competition especially after OKC had traded Harden. I swear on my life my hatred for them plays no role on why I thought they were so disappointing two years ago.

The 2014 Nets were definitely disappointing but their potential run to the finals wasn't a foregone conclusion like the 2013 Lakers were.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:45:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Lol Lakers and it ain't even close.

Barely made playoffs with that lineup. Get swept by Spurs. Dwight bounces.

Funny part was hearing all these Lakers fans screaming "THREEPEAT. BACK2BACK CHAMPIONS" after Dwight came aboard on Lala Land and then their team vanishes midway through the season hahahahaha  ;D But really, I just couldn't see two age-declining stars with a clown winning titles and with a clueless head coach at the helm at that time.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 02:15:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lol Lakers and it ain't even close.

Barely made playoffs with that lineup. Get swept by Spurs. Dwight bounces.

Funny part was hearing all these Lakers fans screaming "THREEPEAT. BACK2BACK CHAMPIONS" after Dwight came aboard on Lala Land and then their team vanishes midway through the season hahahahaha  ;D But really, I just couldn't see two age-declining stars with a clown winning titles and with a clueless head coach at the helm at that time.
I predicted the 2012-13 Lakers would win 293 games.  Definitely the Lakers.  On paper, Nash, Kobe, Artest, Pau and Dwight should have been unstoppable.

Injuries kept Pau and Nash out for half the season and the team stumbled into 45 wins.   Kobe and Dwight playing close to peak levels and only winning 45 games is pretty crazy.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:51:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Never expected to Nets do well. I thought they only made marginal gains in that trade. KG and Pierce had both dropped off hugely. KG was a bad fit alongside Brook Lopez. Not capable of catapulting team forward. Just a pair of role players. One of whom (KG) who doesn't fit in. So I did not view them as disappointment.

I did expect LAL to do well but thought there terrible supporting cast would stop them from dominating regular season. Make them more of a 50 win team than a 60-65 win team. I thought they would be a force come playoff time though. Ride on their stars back - play them huge minutes and limit how much supporting cast played.

Then again, they had a lot of injuries (Nash, Pau + Dwight early in recovering from back injury + Kobe, Nash in playoffs) and some terrible coaching hurt them as well. Finished with 45 wins and knocked out in first round (minus Kobe, Nash). It would have been nice to see what they could have done if they were healthy and had a good coach.

LA definitely the bigger disappointment in my eyes.

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Lakers were seen as a sure-fire Finals team, whereas the Nets were seen more as a good playoff team, I think.  Both fell short of expectations, but the Lakers failed more spectacularly. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
...Which of the two do you guys feel was the bigger disappointment Celtics joy in regards to the hype surrounding each superteam? ...

Just fix it for you (according poll results)

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah, a lot of people thought the Nets were going to be a semi-dud - Pierce and especially KG were no longer superstars and D-Will was just about at his career low point.  The Lakers, on the other hand, were getting talked up for 70 wins by some folks, and thought to be serious contenders at a minimum.