Author Topic: Gorgui Dieng  (Read 3205 times)

Gorgui Dieng
« on: May 29, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Whether the Timberwolves draft Towns or Okafor I believe they have one man left out at center, Gorgui Dieng.  Personally I think he'd be a very nice fit for us, at what could be a low cost.  KO is really more a stretch 4 then a center.  This is useful to the Tiberwolves and would give us a center in Gorgui Dieng.  Just wanted to see what others might think.  I rather keep Sully over KO any day, even with Sully having the weight issue this year.  His upside as a true power forward has great value to me then KO.  Would you make a deal KO for Gorgui Dieng, or even KO and the last 2nd rounder we have for Gorgui Dieng?   

Re: Gorgui Dieng
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I actually imagine the T-Wolves may be up for trading Dieng this summer.

People keep saying they can just get rid of Pekovic instead, but I can't really think of a team that would want Pekovic and his contract. I suspect they may have to burn a future asset to get rid of it and they may just decide that getting fair return on Dieng is the better choice.

Don't think they'd have interest in Olynyk, but it's worth a shot.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Whether the Timberwolves draft Towns or Okafor I believe they have one man left out at center, Gorgui Dieng.  Personally I think he'd be a very nice fit for us, at what could be a low cost.  KO is really more a stretch 4 then a center.  This is useful to the Tiberwolves and would give us a center in Gorgui Dieng.  Just wanted to see what others might think.  I rather keep Sully over KO any day, even with Sully having the weight issue this year.  His upside as a true power forward has great value to me then KO.  Would you make a deal KO for Gorgui Dieng, or even KO and the last 2nd rounder we have for Gorgui Dieng?   
Olynyk wouldn't make any sense for them, and is a huge downgrade from Dieng. Twolves will have Payne, Garnett, Bennett, and probably Towns at the pf position. More of a logjam there than at center, so why downgrade your talent?
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Olynyk wouldn't make any sense for them, and is a huge downgrade from Dieng. Twolves will have Payne, Garnett, Bennett, and probably Towns at the pf position. More of a logjam there than at center, so why downgrade your talent?

Towns will ultimately be a center in todays NBA. That means if they draft either Okafor or Towns they will have four centers in their rotation. Pek, Towns/Okafor, Dieng and KG
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think Dieng is very much so gettable, but only if a team is willing to take on a bad contract.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:05:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Dieng is already 25, and failed to reach double digits in points or rebounds last year despite averaging 30 minutes a game.  His defensive reputation is undermined by the fact that the Timberwolves were an utterly horrid defensive team even though he was playing all those minutes.

Dieng is a solid player, but I would not give up very much to acquire him.  Truthfully, I think Tyler Zeller is a more valuable player and he's about the same age.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 05:06:22 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Towns will ultimately be a center in todays NBA. That means if they draft either Okafor or Towns they will have four centers in their rotation. Pek, Towns/Okafor, Dieng and KG
Both Towns and KG have good enough shots to space the floor and great defensive ability to play the 4. If twolves take Towns, then Towns and Dieng are the future pf and c. However, if they take Okafor, then I agree that Dieng could be stolen away. They wouldn't fit well together. A future first would need to be added for dieng though, because that is what they're missing most. They have a mix of young talent and veterans, but are missing 2016 first (we have it) and 2017 first (Atlanta).
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 06:40:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Both Towns and KG have good enough shots to space the floor and great defensive ability to play the 4. If twolves take Towns, then Towns and Dieng are the future pf and c. However, if they take Okafor, then I agree that Dieng could be stolen away. They wouldn't fit well together. A future first would need to be added for dieng though, because that is what they're missing most. They have a mix of young talent and veterans, but are missing 2016 first (we have it) and 2017 first (Atlanta).
I don't think Towns would be a good defender at the 4.  He didn't look good trying to defend Kaminsky on the perimeter. 

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Aren't they just going to stick DIeng and Townes together and trade pekovic?

Olynyk + #16 + #28 for dieng wouldn't be a bad idea at all

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:02:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Two firsts is too dang much to give up for Dieng, let alone throwing in a useful rookie-contract role player as well.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:23:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Another week, another "Get Dieng!" thread.

I think the only way Minnesota gives up Dieng is to unload Pek's contract.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 08:02:20 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

What you are offering could probably get you into the top ten in the draft. The question then becomes whether you prefer the solid but unspectacular Dieng who never will be an all-star or a shot at someone like WCS, an unknown quantity with great potential? Also, maybe one of the two highly rated Europeans falls to say #8, Detroit's pick and a logical trade partner. Stanley Johnson may also be available there. I think that I would lean towards the latter approach of moving up in the draft. Also, if I'm Minnesota, a 4-5 tandem of Towns and Dieng sounds good to me. Good luck trading Pekovic unless you're taking back a bad contract in return.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 12:11:36 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
If the Asik for a projected Lottery-Mid 1st rounder and Mozgov for 2 projected Late 1st rounders are the going rate, the price is going to be high for Dieng.

That said, Dieng has the post game, mid-range shot, athleticism, and defensive ability to average double doubles while providing good rim protection as soon as next year. Based on last year's production (9.8 PPG, 8.3 RPG, 1.7 BPG in 30 MPG) and a reasonable projection of his progression, his ceiling might be around 12-12 w/ 2-3 blocks per game, which is borderline All Star/DPOY production. You don't pass up on that for the idea of (insert college player drafted at #16 or #28); for all we know, Upshaw can be Fab Melo.

Dieng's 25, but he's going into his 3rd season in the league, which I think one can safely assume that this is not the finished product.

If you can get Dieng for Olynyk, #16, and #28 (choose 2), you make it.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 01:53:25 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Isn't that WAY overpaying? Then again, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

But in all seriousness, why would we do this? We can get a younger, bigger and longer rim protector in the draft. We could also just potentially use that package and move a few spots and get a player with high upside. Why give up all those assets for a dude who, while he has shown he can be solid, has no upside whatsoever?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 04:29:30 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Isn't that WAY overpaying? Then again, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

But in all seriousness, why would we do this? We can get a younger, bigger and longer rim protector in the draft. We could also just potentially use that package and move a few spots and get a player with high upside. Why give up all those assets for a dude who, while he has shown he can be solid, has no upside whatsoever?

Actually.. yeah, you're right.  Bismack Biyombo averaged 7 points, 8.4 rebounds, 1.8 blocks with 55% shooting in 21 games as a starter this season in 27mpg.   Pretty comparable.  Biyombo is 3 years younger.  Might as well just sign him as a free agent and use the assets elsewhere.