Author Topic: Vecsey: Thibs has no interest in coaching NO. Feels Davis will leave  (Read 3433 times)

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Peter Vecsey: Tom Thibodeau has no interest, I'm told, in coaching Pelicans (feels Davis will leave when pact permits), Magic (Skiles on tap) or Nuggets.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If so, Davis would be the first guy ever not to sign a max deal offered to him coming off of his rookie deal.

I think it's more likely that Vecsey is full of crap than that Thibs has a crystal ball.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah that makes little sense.  Thibs would get to coach Davis for at least two years, and it's very likely he would get to coach him for a minimum of 6 or 7 years, because players in AD's position almost always sign a 5 year max deal as soon as they are able.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If so, Davis would be the first guy ever not to sign a max deal offered to him coming off of his rookie deal.

I think it's more likely that Vecsey is full of crap than that Thibs has a crystal ball.

This. Can also apply this to all other RFAs expected to fetch max deals like Jimmy Butler. People see what Monroe did and think that's the rule rather the extremely rare exception (for a guy who wasn't getting offered the max).

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This thread is full of good posts.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
That would be so fun for Celtic fans and the Nba if Davis left  next year. Is next year the cap increase? If so it's an when better time to go. Don't be Kg Anthony leave now to join the Celtics! You'll be glad you did. We should make moves now to build around Davis.

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Thibs absolutely deserves another job, and the way the Bulls smeared him on the way out was definitely unnecessary.

But at the same time, if I was running a franchise, I'm not so sure I'd be at the front of the line to bring him in to coach my team.  I'm one of those people who thinks his inability to manage minutes is a HUGE issue with him.  He really lost me in that game 6 in the first round against the Bucks where his team was up by 40 in the 4th and he STILL had the majority of the starting unit out there.    And as we saw with some of his players, mainly Joakim Noah, they really regress on offense.  He's like the 180 extreme of Mike D'Antoni where he'll go weeks and weeks in practice without even uttering the word offense to the point where it's detrimental to the team.

He HAS to be willing to adapt his coaching style on managing minutes.  If he's unwilling to do that, I'd be really really hesitant to bringing him in in a head-coaching role.  If he'd be willing to sign up as a defensive assistant for another year or two, then absolutely bring him in, no questions asked.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Thibs is very close with Jeff Van Gundy and will not take a job that JVG wants.  If JVG decides he doesn't want to leave the booth then I think Thibs very quickly becomes the front runner and ends up with the job.  If JVG is there till the end (even if he doesn't get it) no way Thibs puts his name in the ring.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That would be so fun for Celtic fans and the Nba if Davis left  next year. Is next year the cap increase? If so it's an when better time to go. Don't be Kg Anthony leave now to join the Celtics! You'll be glad you did. We should make moves now to build around Davis.

and then Davis joins the Knicks or the Lakers.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

and then Davis joins the Knicks or the Lakers.

He's totally gonna coordinate with Durant and Wall to team up on the Wizards.

Joking aside for a small moment -- my goodness that would be an insane team.  I don't care who else is on the roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Vecsey: Thibs has no interest in coaching NO. Feels Davis will leave
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Maybe Davis will stay, but I wonder if it's really the best situation for him. I know the Pels made the playoffs this year, but what's their situation like moving forward with the rest of the roster? Guys like Omer Asik, Ryan Anderson, and Tyreke Evans have probably hit their ceiling, which is: "good but not great." Eric Gordon is a dynamic player who, I think, could get even better, but he's a giant health risk. I guess Jrue Holiday is a decent player. The rest of the roster: meh. And their only pick in this year's draft is No. 56.

I don't know what their cap situation is, or how many "tradeable" contracts they have or players other teams would really want, but it seems that as of this moment, New Orleans isn't exactly primed for title contention in the next several years (unless something drastic happened via trade this summer or next, which I guess is possible).

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

While I agree with all that, if there's a player who's going to not sign a rookie max extension, it could be Davis.  He could be in line for an even bigger payday in 2017 than 2016, considering the cap is scheduled to spike even further.  And if players and agents think they're going to gain back ground in the new CBA, that might be even another reason to play out the season on his qualifying offer.  If nothing else, this gives him the leverage to force New Orleans to agree to a sign-and-trade somewhere next summer, because he will be able to make up most or all of the lost salary in 2016 (the difference between his QO and his max) due to the increased salaries he'd get in a deal signed in 2017.

There've been rumblings for awhile that Davis might not sign a rookie max extension -- NO should offer him one on midnight July 1st, so we'll find out soon enough.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 06:03:40 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
OKC it is!

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd love to see AD leave New Orleans. It'd be great to see him play for one of the league's big teams instead of being stuck in that badly run small market team.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 06:10:37 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Thibs is very close with Jeff Van Gundy and will not take a job that JVG wants.  If JVG decides he doesn't want to leave the booth then I think Thibs very quickly becomes the front runner and ends up with the job.  If JVG is there till the end (even if he doesn't get it) no way Thibs puts his name in the ring.

This sounds much more plausible than Davis - who's got a history of missing extended time in all three of his years in the league, mind you - passing up a max extension. These "rumblings" about Davis not signing an extension sound as trustworthy as the reports last year that Kyrie was considering doing the same. We all saw how that ended.