Poll

Who wins the finals

The Cavs
22 (19.3%)
The Warriors
92 (80.7%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Poll: Who Wins the Finals  (Read 18885 times)

Re: Poll: Who Wins the Finals
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2015, 01:17:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Warriors have been solid all season long.  They're the best team.  Bronnie's gonna have to put up Wilt Chamberlain numbers.
He will.  Maybe not the 42/11/5/3 he put up in his one and only game against the Warriors this year, but he will be firing on all cylinders. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2015, 01:20:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
LeBron is objectively a worse player than last year. His supporting cast is better though. I'm curious if the difference is enough to overcome a superior all-round team. Cleveland have not faced a team with an elite offense, and more importantly, one of the league's best five players.

I'll go with Warriors in 5 or 6.
Atlanta was a pretty darn good offensive team this year.  Now granted they don't have the MVP on their bench, but they did have 4 all stars. 

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2015, 01:21:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The Warriors actually have people who can guard James.  Nobody on the Cavs can guard Steph and Klay.  Mozgov and Bogut is essentially a draw.  Warriors have a much better bench than the Cavs.  I say Warriors in 5.
You don't think Shumpert can guard Thompson.  Really?

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2015, 01:48:38 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Atlanta was a regular season wonder. When teams started game planning for them in the playoffs their offense wasn't very effective.

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2015, 03:32:10 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Atlanta was a regular season wonder. When teams started game planning for them in the playoffs their offense wasn't very effective.

And, you know, they lost important players to injury. It's easy to scoff at it on the face of it, but Kyle Korver is just as important to Atlanta as Kyrie Irving is to Cleveland. Not that they're comparable talents, but that you'd expect a bit of suffering on the offensive end if you took them out.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2015, 03:39:08 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Korver's numbers dropped off a cliff in the playoffs.

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2015, 07:25:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Yup.....Atlanta beat up of the weak east with a couple fringe stars and a great coach .  When the playoff teams with real,stars showed up . They played lock down defense on Korver .

Atlanta ...like Boston needs a couple super stars that can carry the team , during the playoffs when scoring is so difficult .

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

And, you know, they lost important players to injury. It's easy to scoff at it on the face of it, but Kyle Korver is just as important to Atlanta as Kyrie Irving is to Cleveland. Not that they're comparable talents, but that you'd expect a bit of suffering on the offensive end if you took them out.

sure, they lost players because of injury. but a lot of the analysts and such believed the losses they had in the Washington series had more to do with the lack of that one star. which I agree with and believe it would have caught up with them eventually. Atlanta now has an excuse not to go after a star because they'll believe they didn't compete because of injuries.

I personally think this Atlanta team is now further away from actually winning a title than we are.

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2015, 09:19:27 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Yes, you need both combination to win in the playoff.
- Great team play with deep bench
- A bunch of difference makers
Atlanta is not San Antonio. Their team play try to look like the Spurs, but they don't have the Duncans, Parkers, or Ginobilis.

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 11:05:43 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
If the games are officiated evenly (by the rules) as they were last year in the Finals...Golden State wins in 5.  They're too deep and too healthy.

If the games are officiated like Cavs regular season games...Golden State wins in 7....With Game 7 going to overtime.

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 11:12:07 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Cavs.

Lebron is the real deal. The Answer. I believe he could beat on anybody the Warriors will put up on him. OTOH, he will shut down Step Curry.

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm pulling for the Cavs because they are the underdogs. Warriors should win in 5 could go maybe 6. The LeBron hate grows inside of me lol. Can't stand the man but he is a great player. Wish he had a charity cause that he plugged as much as he plugs his ego. He could do some more good in the world.

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2015, 12:10:12 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

sure, they lost players because of injury. but a lot of the analysts and such believed the losses they had in the Washington series had more to do with the lack of that one star. which I agree with and believe it would have caught up with them eventually. Atlanta now has an excuse not to go after a star because they'll believe they didn't compete because of injuries.

I personally think this Atlanta team is now further away from actually winning a title than we are.

It's an interesting point about having an excuse to not pursue a star, but how is Atlanta further from winning a title than we are? They had a legit shot this year if not for injuries. I can see you you'd argue their regular season slightly overrated them, but the fact is they were one of the top 2 teams in the East and we were lucky to make the playoffs at all.

Atlanta has probably a 10-20% chance of winning the title each year over the next few years. Odds are solid they will win it all before 2020. We on the other hand are probably years from contention-- even if we win the Kevin Love sweepstakes (optimistically, 25%), we'll still need another major upgrade to reach the point that the Hawks are at now.

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2015, 01:06:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Cavs.

Lebron is the real deal. The Answer. I believe he could beat on anybody the Warriors will put up on him. OTOH, he will shut down Step Curry.

How much of this "LeBron is God, can score on anybody and will shut down the league MVP" is based on the fact that the Cavs swept the Celtics?

Like, seriously, have people watched the Warriors play?

How about last year's Finals?  Did people not notice that LeBron was (a) seriously flummoxed by the other team's defense and (b) wasn't exactly phenomenal defensively?

LBJ is a great player, but this idea that he can score on anyone while simultaneously shutting down one of the best scorers in the league is not based in reality.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
GSW. Do I even need to explain why they are the favourite?  ::)