Author Topic: Marcus Smart ready to leap into second year  (Read 1464 times)

Marcus Smart ready to leap into second year
« on: May 29, 2015, 03:08:21 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/05/28/celtics-rookie-still-smarting-over-season-mistakes/0X4RFJAvZhqnbKV1LONiqM/story.html

This is a must read article.

This guy is just epic on his work ethic and he's one or the most intense player on our team. He wants to lead his team so bad that he played through that ankle injury during the second half of the season and he claims to have lost his explosiveness. I really hope that he drived to the basket less frequently than in college also because of that injury (I also think that Brad wanted him to shoot more and he might have struggled with the speed of the NBA) as I want him to attack the rim more next season.

He is still frustrated by his shooting percentage (36.7), and annoyed his ankle injury suffered in November never truly went away.

He still thinks he should have been in the Rising Stars Challenge, an all-star game involving first- and second-year players. And he still believes he should have been a first-team all-rookie choice.

“That’s just another thing that’s on my book, my mind, that’s keeping me going and motivated into this summer,” Smart said.

And that is why, after a brief trip home to Texas to see family, he is now back in Waltham, training for several hours a day with Celtics assistant coach Darren Erman. They have worked on shooting, ball-handling and defense, and how to make proper reads coming off of pick-and-rolls.

“If he continues to work,” Erman said, “he can eventually be an All-Star.”

Smart said his workouts have been productive because, for the first time in months, his left ankle is not a hindrance. He suffered the sprain and a bone bruise while attacking the rim on a fast break during a Nov. 7 game against the Pacers. He returned Dec. 3 but was in pain for most of the season.

“I just couldn’t get my regular explosiveness,” Smart said. “It just wasn’t the same. I never really gave it that time to heal on its own. I was always putting more pressure on it and pushing it and pushing it.”

Smart constantly iced the ankle and received electro-stimulation and would sometimes arrive at TD Garden six hours before tipoff to loosen the joint.

“There were days I just wanted to call it quits and have my rookie season be over,” he said. “There were days where it was really bothering me to where I could barely walk on some mornings. I tried not to limp, I tried not to show it, because I didn’t want to be taken out of a game or use it as an excuse. But now I can’t really deny that my ankle played a big part in some games.”

I think his frustration can be crucial to his development as he might think that he wants to show the NBA that is better than this. I expect that his breakout year will be next year and I am so glad Danny picked him up in the draft.

I completely agree with Erman as his upside would be a legitimate All Star caliber player.

Re: Marcus Smart ready to leap into second year
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 05:50:35 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/05/28/celtics-rookie-still-smarting-over-season-mistakes/0X4RFJAvZhqnbKV1LONiqM/story.html

This is a must read article.

This guy is just epic on his work ethic and he's one or the most intense player on our team. He wants to lead his team so bad that he played through that ankle injury during the second half of the season and he claims to have lost his explosiveness. I really hope that he drived to the basket less frequently than in college also because of that injury (I also think that Brad wanted him to shoot more and he might have struggled with the speed of the NBA) as I want him to attack the rim more next season.

He is still frustrated by his shooting percentage (36.7), and annoyed his ankle injury suffered in November never truly went away.

He still thinks he should have been in the Rising Stars Challenge, an all-star game involving first- and second-year players. And he still believes he should have been a first-team all-rookie choice.

“That’s just another thing that’s on my book, my mind, that’s keeping me going and motivated into this summer,” Smart said.

And that is why, after a brief trip home to Texas to see family, he is now back in Waltham, training for several hours a day with Celtics assistant coach Darren Erman. They have worked on shooting, ball-handling and defense, and how to make proper reads coming off of pick-and-rolls.

“If he continues to work,” Erman said, “he can eventually be an All-Star.”

Smart said his workouts have been productive because, for the first time in months, his left ankle is not a hindrance. He suffered the sprain and a bone bruise while attacking the rim on a fast break during a Nov. 7 game against the Pacers. He returned Dec. 3 but was in pain for most of the season.

“I just couldn’t get my regular explosiveness,” Smart said. “It just wasn’t the same. I never really gave it that time to heal on its own. I was always putting more pressure on it and pushing it and pushing it.”

Smart constantly iced the ankle and received electro-stimulation and would sometimes arrive at TD Garden six hours before tipoff to loosen the joint.

“There were days I just wanted to call it quits and have my rookie season be over,” he said. “There were days where it was really bothering me to where I could barely walk on some mornings. I tried not to limp, I tried not to show it, because I didn’t want to be taken out of a game or use it as an excuse. But now I can’t really deny that my ankle played a big part in some games.”

I think his frustration can be crucial to his development as he might think that he wants to show the NBA that is better than this. I expect that his breakout year will be next year and I am so glad Danny picked him up in the draft.

I completely agree with Erman as his upside would be a legitimate All Star caliber player.

TP. Great find. I completely agree, he can be a legit all star. And I wouldn't doubt him having the work ethic and drive to get there, cause he clearly has that in spades.

We started to see more of his athleticism and upside toward the end of the season. Improving his jump shot to a respectable rate (33%) is an excellent sign. CBS recognized the limitations from the ankle and made him the 4th or 5th option on offense and a secondary ball handler. Next season he'll be taking on a bigger role and we'll see the kind of player he really is.

His defense is at a wholly different level. It's not really a stretch to say Smart could be the best back-court defender in the league in a few years. Lots of people around here have compared him to Tony Allen. Well, if TA could play offense well he would probably be an All-Star at least once. The guy is just that dominant defensively. And Smart could be just as good, but his offensive upside is so much higher. Once he starts driving to the hoop more and drawing fouls while still hitting those open 3s, he could be an easy 16-20 pt, 4-6 rebound, 6-8 assist with 2+ steals kind of guy. And when you add in all his game-changing hustle plays, ability to draw offensive fouls and his superb defense, a guy like that could easily be an all-star.

I would be hesitant to trade Smart in almost any deal for almost any player. Guy is a Celtic through and through.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 06:16:14 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
If the Celtics have the type of  lineup we all hope they have by the start of next season, he will need all of that preparation. I am confident he is ready to play with a tuned up team and will be even more comfortable at the NBA level - he adjusted very quickly in his first season.

I am excited about the prospect of Smart playing in a stronger lineup (no disrespect to this season's team who did a great job) because you know he won't be out of place.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 06:27:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I kept telling game thread watchers , ihe was still injuried long after his return.   Some sprains take up to a year to get 100%

I thought near the end ....his college athleticism was starting to reappear .....he was leaping more and higher the last 6 games

People were complaining about him staying out of the paint.  ......the Kid loves the paint and busting chops with the big boys .....you knew he was hurting ...he luvs the contact.

I'm excited for next season......I think he is going to ....WOW ..the Celtics fans with his game.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Man I just love Smart. He's such a classic Cs player, seemingly cut from the same rare cloth as guys like PP. I genuinely believe his upside could be Dwyane Wade, while his downside is an elite defensive role player.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Some things that struck out to me in this article is that he is already back in Boston adding to his game, exactly what you want to see in a young player. Seeing him being fueled by being overlooked is also a nice thing to see. There is quite a chance we will be seeing him in multiple allstar games in the future.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Some guys talk the talk, and simply just lie like a rug. Marcus says he's working hard, and I actually believe him. We're gonna see the best Marcus Smart he can be. More Celtic players should emulate him.
Go Marcus!

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
A born great.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/