Author Topic: I want (to) Singh!  (Read 7011 times)

Re: I want (to) Singh!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Here he is talking to a 9 year old...

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 03:46:20 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Thank goodness she had heels on...

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I don't really care much what the team does with late 2nd round picks, so if they took him at #45 I'd find a way to be optimistic about him, but the whole "can't teach size" mentality needs to be balanced out with "can't really teach athleticism" and some actual skill. 

Kenny George isn't exactly tearing up the NBA, and he was actually good enough to play NCAA ball.  Here he is getting dunked on by NBA talent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htwkRYa0gOk

Anybody remember 7'5" Pavel Podkolzin?  Dude was actually a first round pick in '05, some (like Chad Ford) thought he could go top 5.  2 seasons, 6 games, 28 minutes, and 4 points later he's out of the NBA never to be seen again.

Then there's 7'9" Sun Mingming, who you've probably seen in more in the movies (Rush Hour 3) than on a basketball court.  There were talks he would be drafted back in '05.  I'm sure some here would have wanted the C's to gamble on him instead of Ryan Gomes at #50 or Orien Greene at #53 (Would we then have poster named StartMingMing?)

My favorite might be 7'6" Jorge González.  Ted Turner and the Hawks thought he had potential so they drafted him #54 (3rd round back then).  When that didn't pan out, Ted Turner just moved him over to one of his other businesses (WCW), not successful there either.  Here he is losing to the Undertaker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3GwDWyZJso

And of course our old friend Fab Melo had size, and some decent athleticism, and some actually accolades (All-American, Big East DPOY, etc.).  We all know how well that actually turned out.

All I'm saying is don't get excited because the guy is big.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Kenny George isn't exactly tearing up the NBA, and he was actually good enough to play NCAA ball.  Here he is getting dunked on by NBA talent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htwkRYa0gOk

All I'm saying is don't get excited because the guy is big.

I don't disagree with the general premise, but Kenny George had to have most of one foot amputated for an infection before he left college: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3649704

Don't think he'd be tearing up the NBA with it, but it's not really the best comparison.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Kinda off topic, but I wonder what the average lifespan is for guys over 7' tall. I imagine there are cardiovascular issues that come along with that size.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 04:43:18 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I posted a thread here a few weeks ago on Singh. If anyone watches his draftexpress workout video, they will see that the guy works hard. He hardly resembles that 7'9 waif of a guy that the previous poster on this thread put up. He has an NBA ready body right now, at 19. That shouldn't be overlooked. Neither should his jump shot and free throw form.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Satnam-Singh-Workout-Video-4957/

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 04:49:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I posted a thread here a few weeks ago on Singh. If anyone watches his draftexpress workout video, they will see that the guy works hard. He hardly resembles that 7'9 waif of a guy that the previous poster on this thread put up. He has an NBA ready body right now, at 19. That shouldn't be overlooked. Neither should his jump shot and free throw form.

He looks like he barely bends his knees when running. Extremely awkward.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

He looks like he barely bends his knees when running. Extremely awkward.

Agreed. He looks very stiff. I don't know how his way of moving will fare well against the pick and roll. He does have the size though.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
He´ll probably amount to nothing as a baller, but unlike other really tall guys he´s ripped. He´s not skinny or fat like most of the tall guys.

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

His feet look oddly proportioned in this and other photos but not in a frail sort of way.  He is actually very thick for that kind of size.  Not having seen him play at all, I can't rule out that he would be worth a draft and stash.  I imagine if they had him out on the court for a work out that it became pretty clear if he has something or not.

I think the big thing is that he has to love basketball.  I think that is a problem with a lot of the oversized guys.  You need to work hard and probably work through aches and pains every day.  You need skill and God-given talent of course but you also need drive.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
the cbs article says he didnt receive any D1 scholarship offers . so then he decided to declare for the draft?

doesn't make sense to me

He is ineligible due to grades to go to the NCAA, he came to the US in high school not knowing any english and his grades suffered as a result.  Also he works out 4 hours a day since coming to the US, so I am sure that had something to do with it as well.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 09:03:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

His feet look oddly proportioned in this and other photos but not in a frail sort of way.  He is actually very thick for that kind of size.  Not having seen him play at all, I can't rule out that he would be worth a draft and stash.  I imagine if they had him out on the court for a work out that it became pretty clear if he has something or not.

I think the big thing is that he has to love basketball.  I think that is a problem with a lot of the oversized guys.  You need to work hard and probably work through aches and pains every day.  You need skill and God-given talent of course but you also need drive.

I actually just watched some of the you-tube videos.  I am sold.  Raw is certainly an adjective that comes to mind but he is definitely worth the risk of a pick.  That is half the reason to have so many so you can take some risks.

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 11:41:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I watched the videos and I am not sold, looks stiff and was not a very good leaper.  I see a pro-wrestling future for him.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I watched the videos and I am not sold, looks stiff and was not a very good leaper.  I see a pro-wrestling future for him.
so he would have a place on the celtics! he could replace olly.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 02:59:28 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Who'd ya take Satam Singh or Sim Bhullar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_XbbdfgrCc