Author Topic: Danny asks Marcus Smart for thoughts on potential draft picks  (Read 4090 times)

Re: Danny asks Marcus Smart for thoughts on potential draft picks
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Marcus and Isaiah: "Danny, we need frontcourt help. Bigs who can defend."

KO and Sully: "Strange, Danny hasn't asked for our input."

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Lol

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
raises the question of when did Marcus become a scout and when did he have time during the season to scout college players

Between playing against alot of these prospects for two years in college and playing on the 2012 U18 FIBA team and the 2013 U19 FIBA team Marcus must have alot of good input on these players.

U18 in Brazil her played with Dekker and Harrel

U19 in Prague he played with Frazier, Winslow, Harrel, and Okafor
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

KO and Sully: "Strange, Danny hasn't asked for our input.

That was priceless TP

I won a lot of pickup games in the park picking guys whom I did not like playing against.   They were not always the most talented but they gave it all on D and never quit.   I hope Marcus and IT are picking guys like that whom they might have played against in AA in MS's case.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would ask him because he's played against some of these guys.  Or I'm sure is familiar with them.

I think the team is high on Smart and he's one of the players I kind of see an untradable UNLESS we're talking like a Cousins trade where you may need to give him up.  Maybe that's just my hate for the idea of trading Smart away coming through there, but I think the team is very high on him.

I like his defense and leadership a whole lot and think he has good potential on offense.   To at least be able to make some good passes and shoot threes.  I really liked in the interview for the Globe he had where he basically called James Young out for not working hard.  It was harsh but that's a guy trying to light a fire under another because he feels he needs to do that.  And also he applied the same rule to himself.  They draft players every year, really good ones, and so you better keep working and never take things for granted.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

But also interesting that we haven't heard about Danny asking Avery Bradley for his input.  Bradley would seem like the most likely to be shopped.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119

But also interesting that we haven't heard about Danny asking Avery Bradley for his input.  Bradley would seem like the most likely to be shopped.

I don't necessarily think it's odd that we haven't heard anything about Ainge asking AB, maybe he has and we just don't know it yet.  BUT!  I do agree that Bradley is likely to be shopped.  When he signed that deal, I figured that meant he'd be here for the long haul, but that playoff series against the Cavs I feel like was really eye-opening for Ainge.  He was SO disappointing for those 4 games, and when you look back at this season as a whole, his lock-down defense definitely took a hit in exchange for growth on the offensive end.

There's also the Evan Turner factor.  Stevens I think was finally able to unlock the Turner mystery and discovered that to really maximize Evan Turner on the roster, he HAS to be the primary ball-handler.  And we saw this past season that their starting unit was really not a very potent offense.  Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Bradley be included in a deal, they move Turner to the 2 and be the primary ball-handler again this season, and then find a new starting 3 with more scoring punch

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
A. Sherrod Blakely ?@SherrodbCSN
#Celtics Marcus Smart is also among those consulted by C's on potential draft picks, said Austin Ainge Boston's dir. of player personnel

I like how Danny is letting his players give their opinion on possible future teammates. First IT now Marcus. That is a smart gm

Call me cynical, but this stuff is honestly Management 101. I'm happy he's going about things these ways, but any GM who doesn't have this communication with his players should be fired.
Spot on.  Ainge asking for Smart's input isn't surprising.  I'd also expect Ainge to ask for Young's input especially about WCS and the Harrison brothers.  I saw where Hinkie has asked Embiid and Noel for their input on potential draftees.  Embiid played with Russell in high school.  Embiid also went to the combine and actually participated in the interviews.  Involving your players not only gets a GM more information to make a decision but it also makes the players feel more like part of the team. 

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
raises the question of when did Marcus become a scout and when did he have time during the season to scout college players

He played against them, the year before last.