Author Topic: Danny asks Marcus Smart for thoughts on potential draft picks  (Read 4084 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
A. Sherrod Blakely ‏@SherrodbCSN
#Celtics Marcus Smart is also among those consulted by C's on potential draft picks, said Austin Ainge Boston's dir. of player personnel

I like how Danny is letting his players give their opinion on possible future teammates. First IT now Marcus. That is a smart gm

Re: Danny asks Marcus Smart for thoughts on potential draft picks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I bet Danny is covering his butt.  He is probably trying to get a sense of Kevin Love's intentions through Thomas.  But then Thomas told the media that Danny was picking his brain so Danny realized there could be a tampering charge so now he's talking to a lot of his players so that it appears innocent.

Just my conspiracy theory.    ;D

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I like what Danny is doing, trying to build a team with good chemistry (hopefully). I'm very excited for the summer

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
raises the question of when did Marcus become a scout and when did he have time during the season to scout college players

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:20:06 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
A. Sherrod Blakely ?@SherrodbCSN
#Celtics Marcus Smart is also among those consulted by C's on potential draft picks, said Austin Ainge Boston's dir. of player personnel

I like how Danny is letting his players give their opinion on possible future teammates. First IT now Marcus. That is a smart gm

Call me cynical, but this stuff is honestly Management 101. I'm happy he's going about things these ways, but any GM who doesn't have this communication with his players should be fired.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 12:24:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Marcus Smart tells Danny to pick Lebryan Nash with the 16th pick.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
The one I hope he's really consulting is Stevens. A college coach does a lot of talent evaluation, as you only get so many recruits, and Stevens was good at it. It's great that he's asking Smart, too, he could have some insight about guys' reputations off the court and what they're like to play against.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Marcus is going to tell Danny prob the same thing IT said. Get frontcourt defensive presence

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 12:31:35 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
raises the question of when did Marcus become a scout and when did he have time during the season to scout college players

He prly stayed up to date on the college world, only being one year removed. He prly didn't attend many games maybe a couple I suppose. But C'mon Slam we all can make time for anything, I mean I imagine most of celtics Blog have jobs and yet we are all still on here :) Yes Marcus played, practice and studied for his job but he still has a life which prly involved watching other sports(college basketball).  :P

I Think its smart to ask the players because you can have the talent but if the chemistry isn't there it's not going to work

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

He prly stayed up to date on the college world, only being one year removed. He prly didn't attend many games maybe a couple I suppose. But C'mon Slam we all can make time for anything, I mean I imagine most of celtics Blog have jobs and yet we are all still on here :) Yes Marcus played, practice and studied for his job but he still has a life which prly involved watching other sports(college basketball).  :P

I Think its smart to ask the players because you can have the talent but if the chemistry isn't there it's not going to work
must be me Humble, I only watch the C's.  don't really pay much attention to other teams or sports. 

my point with Smart was that he's been out of the college game a year and a lot of the prospects we're looking at (supposedly) are either freshmen coming out or players from a different conference than the one Marcus played in.  if danny was asking for opinions of guys Marcus played against, that would make more sense.

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
The one I hope he's really consulting is Stevens. A college coach does a lot of talent evaluation, as you only get so many recruits, and Stevens was good at it. It's great that he's asking Smart, too, he could have some insight about guys' reputations off the court and what they're like to play against.

Well, you don't have to hope. Stevens was the one interviewing players at the combine, he's been at all the workouts, just about everyone in the FO talked about leaning on CBS through the draft process because he recruited these guys while still at Butler. He's a familiar face to most of the draft class and he's a guy who they all respect and like. Plus, everything I've read has highlighted Stevens' considerable pull with which FA's we should target, and how he and Ainge will be the bringing in guys to sell them on their role in CBS' offense.

Which is exactly what they should do. Stevens was an excellent hire, he's garnered nearly universal praise from everyone including executives, players, other coaches and the media. He's the brightest star we have, the type of guy who has been described as everything from a "coaching wunderkind" to "one of the future greats, a baby Pop." That may be a bit hyperbolic, but we're onto something here with him. Your right, he needs to be at the forefront of all major personnel decisions, and Ainge is showing he will be.

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

must be me Humble, I only watch the C's.  don't really pay much attention to other teams or sports. 

my point with Smart was that he's been out of the college game a year and a lot of the prospects we're looking at (supposedly) are either freshmen coming out or players from a different conference than the one Marcus played in.  if danny was asking for opinions of guys Marcus played against, that would make more sense.

This may be little more than a management tactic to make Marcus feel important, but I would imagine he's still pretty connected with college and high school game (though maybe to a lesser extent there).

There's all these AAU tournaments, National teams, and All-American camps that feature guys from several different classes.  Not sure if this applies to Marcus, but once those guys get to college, alot of them become "counselors" at those same All-American camps, exposing them to an additional class of players coming up.  Then there's summer workouts, Pro-Ams summer leagues, etc where guys of all different ages might mingle.

When I was 21 years old, I like to think I had a pretty decent amount of information on the 18-19 year olds coming up after me, even if I didn't compete directly against them in high school or college.

Again, Ainge might just be paying Marcus lip service, but Marcus might have some very useful information on some of these guys too.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:42 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
it shows any star coming in that they have imput-

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:53 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Good players don't necessarily make good coaches, good GMs or good talent evaluators but this is a no-brainer management move.  Trying to get players to feel invested in the team is smart, especially given Danny's somewhat deserved reputation as a guy who'll trade anybody at any time.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

He can remember guys he played against in college, high school, or AAU and give his opinions on them, not just as players but as human beings off the court.

If you're scouting a player, you watch them, you have scouts watch them, but you also talk to their coaches, to people who watched their games (such as journalists who covered them in college), to players who may have played with or against them.

The more data, the better.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference