Author Topic: marcus comes clean on injury  (Read 11893 times)

Re: marcus comes clean on injury
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Either way, Marcus was a wuss getting carted off on a backboard for an ankle sprain

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/11198807/boston-celtics-draft-pick-marcus-smart-vows-beat-demons

I'd wager a life like that would crush you.  Chew you up and break you.

« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2015, 03:47:37 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Either way, Marcus was a wuss getting carted off on a backboard for an ankle sprain

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/11198807/boston-celtics-draft-pick-marcus-smart-vows-beat-demons

Not sure what that has to do with getting backboarded off due to an ankle sprain
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2015, 04:04:26 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Weak Ass Era

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
I've never really understood why people care how a player leaves the field/court after an injury. He's hurt. Let him leave how he wants to/how the staff wants him to. This machismo/bravado that people require of sports players or anyone in general is a huge issue in today's world. I still roll my eyes whenever people harp on Pierce for going out on a wheel chair in the Finals. Risking further injury to show how tough you are just isn't worth it if you aren't diagnosed yet.

As silly as this conversation has become anyway, it seems to keep getting lost that it's mainly the training staff's call how a player leaves the court.  It's their job to minimize the impact of injuries, so it makes sense that they'd err on the side of caution.

Silly indeed.  Not all "severely sprained ankle" injuries are the same.

Not sure what that has to do with getting backboarded off due to an ankle sprain

They didn't know that it was only an ankle sprain at that point in time.  Full medical evaluations don't take place on the basketball court. 

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
marcus states how much his ankle bothered him and is just now better-he was in pain but would not show it or limp.States it really effected explosiveness.Sometimes he had trouble walking on it in mornings
.Both marcus and kelly suffered bad sprains anybody who has had them knows how badly it effects your game coming back,marcus had thoughts of giving up the last half of rookie season.Be nice to see kelly and marcus healthy before judgements are made
.marcus is in waltham working out.

Excuses. Really? You're going to blame your ankle on the fact Elfred owned you last year?  Just trying to hide the fact be was a huge bust last year as the 6th pick. Randle was the much much better pick.

Everyone has injuries that's not an excuse.
In the second half of the season Marcus Smart was a top 10 wing defender in the league. I'm not sure how getting that out of a 21 year old rookie makes him a bust. Payton outplayed him in one game, but Marcus has more upside because Paytons biggest deficiency is a broken jumper.

As far as Randle. His excuse for not playing better is that he was injured for the season. But it's ok for him to have that excuse, because it serves your argument.

He was by far the better prospect in college. It really wasn't even close. Him sitting out the season would have helped the Celtics too. They wouldn't have made the playoffs which means better draft position. Was such a great experience to watch this team get rolled in 4 games.

Also good to see that he is a homeless man's Tony Allen

"If you take Marcus Smart off of the Celtics, they immediately become worse and go from a 7-seed to a lottery pick. But he's a bust."

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2015, 05:12:35 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I know we have some around here that have doubts about Marcus Smart. They want a star, we get it.
And I understand it, sometimes Marcus looks incomplete on offense. 

But here's a player that wants to be team leader. And backs it up with rock hard defense, and a never back down attitude. In a few years the attitude of the team will be what Marcus Smart says it will be. I have a feeling we're going to like it.

If he gets it together on the O side of the ball, we're looking at a very valuable player.

I think anyone who can plausibly defend the 1 and 2, in addition to the 3 on a switch is a seriously valuable player to have in today's NBA anyway, even if he remains the third or fourth option on offense.

The marcus smart hate has always mystified me a little bit.

I would understand it a bit more if he were just a terrible three point shooter, as that would make him much more of a liability offensively, despite his great defense.  But he was a perfectly acceptable outside shooter in his rookie season, with plenty of room to improve.

A superstar he wasn't, and he doesn't have a killer crossover or a lightning quick first step like a prototypical star point guard prospect, but he's already got what he needs to be a very valuable role player in the league. 

Add the fire and intensity he brings to the game, the swagger, the ability to draw fouls on both ends, the willingness to take big shots even as a young guy ... he's pretty fun to watch, star or not.

With all of that in mind, I'm just going to go ahead and say that phrases like "Marcus Banks 2.0" and "homeless man's Tony Allen" are just troll talk.

Some people are going to exaggerate legitimate criticism into hate, but when we're talking glowingly about our 6th pick as a valuable role player, I think the disappointment should be evident.

Smart's defense was as advertised and his 3-point shot was surprisingly half-decent, but rock-solid 3 + D guards don't merit a ton of excitement in the upper half of the lottery.  TA, Bradley, Shumpert, Lee, Carroll... a lot of buzz when a later pick emerges as a top-notch roleplayer.  It's a bit less exciting when you draft Kirk Hinrich at 7.

And the ankle doesn't assuage my doubts.  All of Smart's reluctance/inability to drive was on full display in preseason and the handful of RS games he played before the injury.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2015, 05:28:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I know we have some around here that have doubts about Marcus Smart. They want a star, we get it.

But here's a player that wants to be team leader. And backs it up with rock hard defense, and a never back down attitude. In a few years the attitude of the team will be what Marcus Smart says it will be. I have a feeling we're going to like it.

If he gets it together on the O side of the ball, we're looking at a very valuable player.

I think anyone who can plausibly defend the 1 and 2, in addition to the 3 on a switch is a seriously valuable player to have in today's NBA anyway, even if he remains the third or fourth option on offense.

I would understand it a bit more if he were just a terrible three point shooter, as that would make him much more of a liability offensively, despite his great defense.  But he was a perfectly acceptable outside shooter in his rookie season, with plenty of room to improve.

A superstar he wasn't, and he doesn't have a killer crossover or a lightning quick first step like a prototypical star point guard prospect, but he's already got what he needs to be a very valuable role player in the league. 

Add the fire and intensity he brings to the game, the swagger, the ability to draw fouls on both ends, the willingness to take big shots even as a young guy ... he's pretty fun to watch, star or not.

With all of that in mind, I'm just going to go ahead and say that phrases like "Marcus Banks 2.0" and "homeless man's Tony Allen" are just troll talk.

Some people are going to exaggerate legitimate criticism into hate, but when we're talking glowingly about our 6th pick as a valuable role player, I think the disappointment should be evident.

Smart's defense was as advertised and his 3-point shot was surprisingly half-decent, but rock-solid 3 + D guards don't merit a ton of excitement in the upper half of the lottery.  TA, Bradley, Shumpert, Lee, Carroll... a lot of buzz when a later pick emerges as a top-notch roleplayer.  It's a bit less exciting when you draft Kirk Hinrich at 7.

And the ankle doesn't assuage my doubts.  All of Smart's reluctance/inability to drive was on full display in preseason and the handful of RS games he played before the injury.

This post seems to be the byproduct of overinflated expectations on behalf of some fans, rather than a legitimate assessment of the game (or, in fact, the typical level of play from a 6th overall pick).

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/6th-overall/60509/
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2015, 08:46:04 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

This post seems to be the byproduct of overinflated expectations on behalf of some fans, rather than a legitimate assessment of the game (or, in fact, the typical level of play from a 6th overall pick).

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/6th-overall/60509/

TP.  Thanks for posting that.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2015, 08:58:21 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
It puts things into perspective. He never penetrated during the season really. Hopefully the basketball gods work in mysterious ways and it helped improve his shot.

I think this coming season we are gonna have fun watching James Young and Smart explode in their game

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2015, 10:27:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If true this is pretty horrible news

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2015, 10:50:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I thought it was pretty clear that the injury affected his play.  In fact, I think he had the primary ankle sprain and then had a set back after just starting to play.  He was improving at a great pace, starting in summer league.  You could almost see him show some improvement every game.  Then came the injury and that was the end of the improvement.

I am high on Smart for next season.

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2015, 11:36:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
marcus ability to get to hoop was always going to take adjustment and time,as was randle's and jabari.
 the adjustment to speed and bigs with length and strength .
also randle and jabari would have their defense exposed,they both only played a few games , they nver had to face all the traveling,playing sick or hurt, back to backs  sometimes three games in a week all over the country
.Marcus did all this with a crazy amount of new players and injured while having to guard opposing teams best scorer and losing sullinger and kelly and isiah at times-and with no rim protector.
I would say he picked up a lot of lessons this year that he will put into practice this summer,as a defense guy, he guarded the best and found out first hand what works .Next year after working out all summer and a pre season with a more stable squad and some upgrades to talent-expect his shot to improve and defense along with getting to hoop-

« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2015, 12:05:27 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think it's hilarious there is a criticism of a rookie on a Playoff team as a "valuable roleplayer" like that's bad in any way.  As a rookie?  You think a guy that works as hard and cares as much as Smart does isn't going to get better?  Who knows quite how much better he can get but he has potential.  He is already good and near the end of the year (maybe it was health, who knows) he finally figured out he could go to the rim.  He had like 4 dunks all year and 3 were in the last few games.

I don't know if he will be an All Star (I think people don't appreciate defense) but he will be that good of a player all around.  I think he works too hard to not improve his shooting.  He can pass (better than I thought he would be coming in for sure) and like I say he started to attack the rim only at the end of the year.  I also think he's better than Avery on defense (even though we/the media have been talking Avery getting snubbed for All-Defense).  I'm high on him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

lets be careful to not blur cb chatter or analysis with reality. they do not automatically match one another. it does appear at times that vehement disappointment in players who are not instant stars is almost a tradmark of cb.

please revisit the early bradley threads as the posts of some cbers were taken as proof that bradley was a total bust and piece of crap. passions ran high. opinions were definitive. and judgement was final. no need to let bradley continue to contaminate the celtics, just dump him since he will never be an nba player.

all of this is talk by us. once more, yet once more, we might wish to consider withholding final and definitive judgement of those human beings who happen to wear celtic jerseys for pay.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Great post. I was definitely one of those people very much down on Bradley, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

On the other hand, when you've got low expectations, it's much more fun when players exceed them.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.