Author Topic: marcus comes clean on injury  (Read 11929 times)

Re: marcus comes clean on injury
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2015, 01:13:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Its cool man, not everybody can handle it.  To be honest playing intramural soccer was actually tame compared to crutching across an Ithaca college campus during winter time with unplowed sidewalks when my foot was too big to fit in a shoe. 

But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Well, keep us posted on how bravely you recover from spraining your wrist patting yourself on the back. 

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Luckily you weren't a talented enough soccer player to be playing anything more than an intramural league, because that would have been a colossally stupid and/or career-jeopardizing decision if you were.

Darn right.  We won though and took home the championship, so well worth it.  Not everybody has it what it takes to pull a move like that but sometimes you just gotta go for it. 

Regardless it doesn't make Smart being carried off on a stretcher any more embarrassing.  I can't hold everybody else to the standard I set, it wouldn't be fair.

Ithaca College Intramural Soccer Champs! Life doesn't get much better than that. I am in awe of your accomplishments.  :P

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 01:14:42 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Its cool man, not everybody can handle it.  To be honest playing intramural soccer was actually tame compared to crutching across an Ithaca college campus during winter time with unplowed sidewalks when my foot was too big to fit in a shoe. 

Well, keep us posted on how bravely you recover from spraining your wrist patting yourself on the back.

That would probably cause more of a shoulder or elbow injury.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:33 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Luckily you weren't a talented enough soccer player to be playing anything more than an intramural league, because that would have been a colossally stupid and/or career-jeopardizing decision if you were.

Darn right.  We won though and took home the championship, so well worth it.  Not everybody has it what it takes to pull a move like that but sometimes you just gotta go for it. 

Regardless it doesn't make Smart being carried off on a stretcher any more embarrassing.  I can't hold everybody else to the standard I set, it wouldn't be fair.

Ithaca College Intramural Soccer Champs! Life doesn't get much better than that. I am in awe of your accomplishments.  :P

We got t-shirts and everything.  It was pretty epic.  I wasn't feeling 100% but popped a handful of extra strength Tylenol, a shot of Jack and went for it.  YOLO
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2015, 01:31:53 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
rondo 2287 -bet you wouldn't call smart a wuss to his face,he didn't just roll his ankle,-
that was bad and who knew how bad at time,i'm sure he didn't call for a stretcher.-
i hope you were joking,anybody that questions his courage has a serious problem-

I know he has courage, he went into the stands to physically confront a fan in college.  that has nothing to do with his pain threshold which must be incredibly low to be body boarded off after a sprained ankle. 

And he gives it the thumbs up like a guy does who suffers a spine or serious head injury

Have you ever had a high ankle sprain?  The difference in pain between a high sprain and an ordinary sprain is like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. 

I had to crawl off the pitch after mine - the pain was so bad it produced serious nausea even from trying to get up on the good leg - and couldn't put weight on it for days.  And it was still susceptible to swelling and pain from just walking around for about a full year afterward.  High ankle sprains are no joke.

Yup I had a high ankle sprain that occurred in the exact same fashion.  used a couple buddies shoulders as crutches and made it to the health center at college.  2 weeks later I played in indoor intramural soccer PLAYOFFS and reinjured my ankle.  Had to do it though, it was the playoffs, gotta push through the pain.

Then I suspect your sprain wasn't as severe as Smart's or mine.  In my case I had a 220 pound guy jump on my back midstride, putting about 400 lbs of weight on the ankle as it turned.  There was no "suck it up" factor, it was a purple cylindrical cankle for about the next couple weeks.  Running wasn't an option at all, and walking only was after about 3-4 days.  It was just rugby though, we're not nearly as tough as intramural soccer players.

I'd imagine with access to NBA-level trainers and treatment Marcus' was probably at least as severe to keep him out so long.  Either way I think it's crazy to label the guy a "wuss" when he kept his mouth shut about how it affected his return until now.  Especially since it wasn't his call whether the backboard came out or not.

Oh, you went to Cornell.

That explains a lot.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
rondo 2287 -bet you wouldn't call smart a wuss to his face,he didn't just roll his ankle,-
that was bad and who knew how bad at time,i'm sure he didn't call for a stretcher.-
i hope you were joking,anybody that questions his courage has a serious problem-

I know he has courage, he went into the stands to physically confront a fan in college.  that has nothing to do with his pain threshold which must be incredibly low to be body boarded off after a sprained ankle. 

And he gives it the thumbs up like a guy does who suffers a spine or serious head injury

Have you ever had a high ankle sprain?  The difference in pain between a high sprain and an ordinary sprain is like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. 

I had to crawl off the pitch after mine - the pain was so bad it produced serious nausea even from trying to get up on the good leg - and couldn't put weight on it for days.  And it was still susceptible to swelling and pain from just walking around for about a full year afterward.  High ankle sprains are no joke.

Yup I had a high ankle sprain that occurred in the exact same fashion.  used a couple buddies shoulders as crutches and made it to the health center at college.  2 weeks later I played in indoor intramural soccer PLAYOFFS and reinjured my ankle.  Had to do it though, it was the playoffs, gotta push through the pain.

Then I suspect your sprain wasn't as severe as Smart's or mine.  In my case I had a 220 pound guy jump on my back midstride, putting about 400 lbs of weight on the ankle as it turned.  There was no "suck it up" factor, it was a purple cylindrical cankle for about the next couple weeks.  Running wasn't an option at all, and walking only was after about 3-4 days.  It was just rugby though, we're not nearly as tough as intramural soccer players.

I'd imagine with access to NBA-level trainers and treatment Marcus' was probably at least as severe to keep him out so long.  Either way I think it's crazy to label the guy a "wuss" when he kept his mouth shut about how it affected his return until now.  Especially since it wasn't his call whether the backboard came out or not.

Oh, you went to Cornell.

That explains a lot.

Not Cornell. 

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
marcus states how much his ankle bothered him and is just now better-he was in pain but would not show it or limp.States it really effected explosiveness.Sometimes he had trouble walking on it in mornings
.Both marcus and kelly suffered bad sprains anybody who has had them knows how badly it effects your game coming back,marcus had thoughts of giving up the last half of rookie season.Be nice to see kelly and marcus healthy before judgements are made
.marcus is in waltham working out.

Excuses. Really? You're going to blame your ankle on the fact Elfred owned you last year?  Just trying to hide the fact be was a huge bust last year as the 6th pick. Randle was the much much better pick.

Everyone has injuries that's not an excuse.

http://www.vantagesports.com/story/VUg6gSYAADAKl1nV/exit-interview-marcus-smart-developed-into-one-of-vantages-elite-defenders

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2468623-nba-all-rookie-team-2014-15-first-second-team-selections-reaction-and-more

Yeah...

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

We got t-shirts and everything.  It was pretty epic.  I wasn't feeling 100% but popped a handful of extra strength Tylenol, a shot of Jack and went for it.  YOLO
;D

TP for that. I stayed in Ithaca for a little while -- seems like a very nice place. Would not want to deal with it if my walking was compromised, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
anybody that has had a serious sprain knows you can't play soccer  in 2 weeks-there is no way i could have played basketball, mine was probably 4 weeks on crutches-questioning someones pain level and he was probably strapped as a procedure for insurance,
they also could have thought it was fractured-i suppose you want him to hop off in agony or have two players do an armchair-whoever played soccer after two weeks just shows how untalented the competition was -was it co-ed or how slight the sprain was---marcus came back playing against the best talent in the world and at quard position against the quickest most agile  players in baskeball world-

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
anybody that has had a serious sprain knows you can't play soccer  in 2 weeks-there is no way i could have played basketball, mine was probably 4 weeks on crutches-questioning someones pain level and he was probably strapped as a procedure for insurance,
they also could have thought it was fractured-i suppose you want him to hop off in agony or have two players do an armchair-whoever played soccer after two weeks just shows how untalented the competition was -was it co-ed or how slight the sprain was---marcus came back playing against the best talent in the world and at quard position against the quickest most agile  players in baskeball world-

yup

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

yup

I've never really understood why people care how a player leaves the field/court after an injury. He's hurt. Let him leave how he wants to/how the staff wants him to. This machismo/bravado that people require of sports players or anyone in general is a huge issue in today's world. I still roll my eyes whenever people harp on Pierce for going out on a wheel chair in the Finals. Risking further injury to show how tough you are just isn't worth it if you aren't diagnosed yet.

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

And for the record it was a severe ankle sprain and it was two weeks.  When I went to the emergency room after it happened the doctor taking x rays said, "Ive never seen an ankle so swollen that wasn't broken."

Luckily Ithaca College is one of the best schools in the country for Athletic training and two of my best friends were AT's. 

When I wasn't in class I was rehabbing getting myself back to where I needed to be. 

When I played in that game I was probably 60%.  I told my friends, I gotta play in this game, what do I need to do to make it happen.  They said to me, "Kevin your crazy, you can't play, your not ready." but I told them to pound sound, I had to play. 

It was the equivalent of when Rocky has Micky cut him above the eye so he can keep fighting. 

Luckily between the pain meds, the booze, all of my hard work rehabbing, and sheer determination I made it a half before pulling up lame.  But I had the guts to go for it. 

Smart can't even leave the court.  Shame. 

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Oh, you went to Cornell.

That explains a lot.

Not Cornell.

In any case, this entire line of conversation is absurd. Smart trying to "be a man" does not benefit this team in any way, shape, or form. If a player aggravated his injury trying to be a tough guy and walk off the court I'd have him fined.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
In any case, this entire line of conversation is absurd. Smart trying to "be a man" does not benefit this team in any way, shape, or form. If a player aggravated his injury trying to be a tough guy and walk off the court I'd have him fined.
Well maybe if he had been in the Intramural Soccer PLAYOFFS he would have realized how important it was that he play through his injury.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I've never really understood why people care how a player leaves the field/court after an injury. He's hurt. Let him leave how he wants to/how the staff wants him to. This machismo/bravado that people require of sports players or anyone in general is a huge issue in today's world. I still roll my eyes whenever people harp on Pierce for going out on a wheel chair in the Finals. Risking further injury to show how tough you are just isn't worth it if you aren't diagnosed yet.

As silly as this conversation has become anyway, it seems to keep getting lost that it's mainly the training staff's call how a player leaves the court.  It's their job to minimize the impact of injuries, so it makes sense that they'd err on the side of caution.