Author Topic: marcus comes clean on injury  (Read 11894 times)

Re: marcus comes clean on injury
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I know we have some around here that have doubts about Marcus Smart. They want a star, we get it.
And I understand it, sometimes Marcus looks incomplete on offense. 

But here's a player that wants to be team leader. And backs it up with rock hard defense, and a never back down attitude. In a few years the attitude of the team will be what Marcus Smart says it will be. I have a feeling we're going to like it.

If he gets it together on the O side of the ball, we're looking at a very valuable player.

I think anyone who can plausibly defend the 1 and 2, in addition to the 3 on a switch is a seriously valuable player to have in today's NBA anyway, even if he remains the third or fourth option on offense.

The marcus smart hate has always mystified me a little bit.

I would understand it a bit more if he were just a terrible three point shooter, as that would make him much more of a liability offensively, despite his great defense.  But he was a perfectly acceptable outside shooter in his rookie season, with plenty of room to improve.

A superstar he wasn't, and he doesn't have a killer crossover or a lightning quick first step like a prototypical star point guard prospect, but he's already got what he needs to be a very valuable role player in the league. 

Add the fire and intensity he brings to the game, the swagger, the ability to draw fouls on both ends, the willingness to take big shots even as a young guy ... he's pretty fun to watch, star or not.

With all of that in mind, I'm just going to go ahead and say that phrases like "Marcus Banks 2.0" and "homeless man's Tony Allen" are just troll talk.
I kind of wish he hadn't come out and talked about his injury. Now I'm going to talk myself into him having a lightning quick first step but not being able to utilize it because of his injury. I might be alone in this one but I think he can develop into a franchise player (a number two on a title team)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 11:42:38 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I know we have some around here that have doubts about Marcus Smart. They want a star, we get it.

But here's a player that wants to be team leader. And backs it up with rock hard defense, and a never back down attitude. In a few years the attitude of the team will be what Marcus Smart says it will be. I have a feeling we're going to like it.

If he gets it together on the O side of the ball, we're looking at a very valuable player.

I think anyone who can plausibly defend the 1 and 2, in addition to the 3 on a switch is a seriously valuable player to have in today's NBA anyway, even if he remains the third or fourth option on offense.

Add the fire and intensity he brings to the game, the swagger, the ability to draw fouls on both ends, the willingness to take big shots even as a young guy ... he's pretty fun to watch, star or not.

Sounds like a star to me.

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
marcus played through the pain and stated his training was more productive now that he has no pain.i thought marcus did well considering all the line up changes and ,being a rookie at the most difficult position-his shooting percentage also suffered from putting up shots as clock ran down that others wouldn't take-like kelly
smart was anything but a bust and his injury did hurt his lift anybody could see that-randle and jabari never had a chance to have weaknesses exposed-they would never have played d the way marcus did-i had hoped the refs would let him play his style and not call rookie fouls and they did let him play
-i think marcus played inspirational defense ,from drawing offensive fouls to not backing down when switching on bigger men--all while notbeing 100%

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Maybe Danny and him have a tentative agreement about moving somewhere and he is just trying to very slightly improve his trade value to make the deal happen...

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 11:56:57 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Maybe Danny and him have a tentative agreement about moving somewhere and he is just trying to very slightly improve his trade value to make the deal happen...

I hope not, I love his hustle and intensity. I would go as far as calling him as a solid building block for us

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I would understand it a bit more if he were just a terrible three point shooter, as that would make him much more of a liability offensively, despite his great defense.  But he was a perfectly acceptable outside shooter in his rookie season, with plenty of room to improve.

A superstar he wasn't, and he doesn't have a killer crossover or a lightning quick first step like a prototypical star point guard prospect, but he's already got what he needs to be a very valuable role player in the league. 

With all of that in mind, I'm just going to go ahead and say that phrases like "Marcus Banks 2.0" and "homeless man's Tony Allen" are just troll talk.
I kind of wish he hadn't come out and talked about his injury. Now I'm going to talk myself into him having a lightning quick first step but not being able to utilize it because of his injury. I might be alone in this one but I think he can develop into a franchise player (a number two on a title team)

I was kinda disappointed by the old, "I'd never use injury as an excuse, but I was so injured that I almost shut it down--so in my case it is an excuse."

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 12:14:05 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
rondo 2287 -bet you wouldn't call smart a wuss to his face,he didn't just roll his ankle,-
that was bad and who knew how bad at time,i'm sure he didn't call for a stretcher.-
i hope you were joking,anybody that questions his courage has a serious problem-

I know he has courage, he went into the stands to physically confront a fan in college.  that has nothing to do with his pain threshold which must be incredibly low to be body boarded off after a sprained ankle. 

And he gives it the thumbs up like a guy does who suffers a spine or serious head injury
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
rondo 2287 -bet you wouldn't call smart a wuss to his face,he didn't just roll his ankle,-
that was bad and who knew how bad at time,i'm sure he didn't call for a stretcher.-
i hope you were joking,anybody that questions his courage has a serious problem-

I know he has courage, he went into the stands to physically confront a fan in college.  that has nothing to do with his pain threshold which must be incredibly low to be body boarded off after a sprained ankle. 

And he gives it the thumbs up like a guy does who suffers a spine or serious head injury

Did you see the injury? It wasn't a rolled ankle, it was a severe sprain. Severe sprains are worse and more painful than moderate breaks.

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 12:48:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Have you ever had a high ankle sprain?  The difference in pain between a high sprain and an ordinary sprain is like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. 

I had to crawl off the pitch after mine - the pain was so bad it produced serious nausea even from trying to get up on the good leg - and couldn't put weight on it for days.  And it was still susceptible to swelling and pain from just walking around for about a full year afterward.  High ankle sprains are no joke.

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Have you ever had a high ankle sprain?  The difference in pain between a high sprain and an ordinary sprain is like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. 

I had to crawl off the pitch after mine - the pain was so bad it produced serious nausea even from trying to get up on the good leg - and couldn't put weight on it for days.  And it was still susceptible to swelling and pain from just walking around for about a full year afterward.  High ankle sprains are no joke.

Yup I had a high ankle sprain that occurred in the exact same fashion.  used a couple buddies shoulders as crutches and made it to the health center at college.  2 weeks later I played in indoor intramural soccer PLAYOFFS and reinjured my ankle.  Had to do it though, it was the playoffs, gotta push through the pain. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2015, 12:57:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Luckily you weren't a talented enough soccer player to be playing anything more than an intramural league, because that would have been a colossally stupid and/or career-jeopardizing decision if you were.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Luckily you weren't a talented enough soccer player to be playing anything more than an intramural league, because that would have been a colossally stupid and/or career-jeopardizing decision if you were.

Darn right.  We won though and took home the championship, so well worth it.  Not everybody has it what it takes to pull a move like that but sometimes you just gotta go for it. 

Regardless it doesn't make Smart being carried off on a stretcher any more embarrassing.  I can't hold everybody else to the standard I set, it wouldn't be fair.

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 01:07:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Darn right.  We won though and took home the championship, so well worth it.  Not everybody has it what it takes to pull a move like that but sometimes you just gotta go for it. 

Regardless it doesn't make Smart being carried off on a stretcher any more embarrassing.  I can't hold everybody else to the standard I set, it wouldn't be fair.
my hero.  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 01:07:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yup I had a high ankle sprain that occurred in the exact same fashion.  used a couple buddies shoulders as crutches and made it to the health center at college.  2 weeks later I played in indoor intramural soccer PLAYOFFS and reinjured my ankle.  Had to do it though, it was the playoffs, gotta push through the pain.

Then I suspect your sprain wasn't as severe as Smart's or mine.  In my case I had a 220 pound guy jump on my back midstride, putting about 400 lbs of weight on the ankle as it turned.  There was no "suck it up" factor, it was a purple cylindrical cankle for about the next couple weeks.  Running wasn't an option at all, and walking only was after about 3-4 days.  It was just rugby though, we're not nearly as tough as intramural soccer players.

I'd imagine with access to NBA-level trainers and treatment Marcus' was probably at least as severe to keep him out so long.  Either way I think it's crazy to label the guy a "wuss" when he kept his mouth shut about how it affected his return until now.  Especially since it wasn't his call whether the backboard came out or not.

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2015, 01:09:53 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Then I suspect your sprain wasn't as severe as Smart's or mine.  In my case I had a 220 pound guy jump on my back midstride, putting about 400 lbs of weight on the ankle as it turned.  There was no "suck it up" factor, it was a purple cylindrical cankle for about the next couple weeks.  Running wasn't an option at all, and walking only was after about 3-4 days.  It was just rugby though, we're not nearly as tough as intramural soccer players.

I'd imagine with access to NBA-level trainers and treatment Marcus' was probably at least as severe to keep him out so long.  Either way I think it's crazy to label the guy a "wuss" when he kept his mouth shut about how it affected his return until now.  Especially since it wasn't his call whether the backboard came out or not.

Its cool man, not everybody can handle it.  To be honest playing intramural soccer was actually tame compared to crutching across an Ithaca college campus during winter time with unplowed sidewalks when my foot was too big to fit in a shoe. 

But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger