Author Topic: marcus comes clean on injury  (Read 11880 times)

Re: marcus comes clean on injury
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Marcus also seems panicked that he'll be seen as the non-leader type who is late to practice. Ahem...Sully.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 10:45:59 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Well that confirms what a lot of us on here were speculating about. You could tell at the end of the season he was gradually getting better and better and driving the ball more. I can't wait to see him next year fully healthy with a full year of experience under his belt.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm curious to see what his explosion looks like next season. I don't remember him being that explosive before the injury but maybe we will see a lot more drives to the hoop next season now that he is comfortable in the nba and (hopefully) healthy.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
marcus states how much his ankle bothered him and is just now better-he was in pain but would not show it or limp.States it really effected explosiveness.Sometimes he had trouble walking on it in mornings
.Both marcus and kelly suffered bad sprains anybody who has had them knows how badly it effects your game coming back,marcus had thoughts of giving up the last half of rookie season.Be nice to see kelly and marcus healthy before judgements are made
.marcus is in waltham working out.

Excuses. Really? You're going to blame your ankle on the fact Elfred owned you last year?  Just trying to hide the fact be was a huge bust last year as the 6th pick. Randle was the much much better pick.

Everyone has injuries that's not an excuse.

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 11:02:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
marcus states how much his ankle bothered him and is just now better-he was in pain but would not show it or limp.States it really effected explosiveness.Sometimes he had trouble walking on it in mornings
.Both marcus and kelly suffered bad sprains anybody who has had them knows how badly it effects your game coming back,marcus had thoughts of giving up the last half of rookie season.Be nice to see kelly and marcus healthy before judgements are made

Excuses. Really? You're going to blame your ankle on the fact Elfred owned you last year?  Just trying to hide the fact be was a huge bust last year as the 6th pick. Randle was the much much better pick.

He hasn't done a [dang] thing yet. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah Randle is the superior player, he proved it in his 15 minutes of play!

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

In the second half of the season Marcus Smart was a top 10 wing defender in the league. I'm not sure how getting that out of a 21 year old rookie makes him a bust. Payton outplayed him in one game, but Marcus has more upside because Paytons biggest deficiency is a broken jumper.

As far as Randle. His excuse for not playing better is that he was injured for the season. But it's ok for him to have that excuse, because it serves your argument.

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 11:14:05 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum

In the second half of the season Marcus Smart was a top 10 wing defender in the league. I'm not sure how getting that out of a 21 year old rookie makes him a bust. Payton outplayed him in one game, but Marcus has more upside because Paytons biggest deficiency is a broken jumper.

As far as Randle. His excuse for not playing better is that he was injured for the season. But it's ok for him to have that excuse, because it serves your argument.

He was by far the better prospect in college. It really wasn't even close. Him sitting out the season would have helped the Celtics too. They wouldn't have made the playoffs which means better draft position. Was such a great experience to watch this team get rolled in 4 games.

Also good to see that he is a homeless man's Tony Allen

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Well at least you're not calling him Marcus Banks 2.0!  ;D

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

He was by far the better prospect in college. It really wasn't even close. Him sitting out the season would have helped the Celtics too. They wouldn't have made the playoffs which means better draft position. Was such a great experience to watch this team get rolled in 4 games.

Also good to see that he is a homeless man's Tony Allen
It's your opinion that he was a better college prospect. Mock drafts, rankings, and the Celtics front office tells a different story.

Not sure how he is a homeless mans Tony Allen, when Marcus Smart in his first year shot better from 3 than Tony Allen ever did.

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 11:20:39 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
rondo 2287 -bet you wouldn't call smart a wuss to his face,he didn't just roll his ankle,-
that was bad and who knew how bad at time,i'm sure he didn't call for a stretcher.-
i hope you were joking,anybody that questions his courage has a serious problem-

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Ankle sprain is a drag and a long pain in the backside to heal completely (3 months to 1 year). I have no doubts it affected his explosiveness.

"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 11:25:29 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
rondo 2287 -bet you wouldn't call smart a wuss to his face,he didn't just roll his ankle,-
that was bad and who knew how bad at time,i'm sure he didn't call for a stretcher.-
i hope you were joking,anybody that questions his courage has a serious problem-

Not calling him a wuss. Just stating he's using it as a cop out for his bad play. LeBron is the greatest player to play the game and he's had a lot of injuries this year and has pushed through them. I'm sure most stars push through injuries like that but if you want to be the man then you need to overcome and keep production up. Even before he allegedly rolled his ankle his play was lacking. Good defensively but doesn't have the offensive game to be a star.

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I know we have some around here that have doubts about Marcus Smart. They want a star, we get it.
And I understand it, sometimes Marcus looks incomplete on offense. 

But here's a player that wants to be team leader. And backs it up with rock hard defense, and a never back down attitude. In a few years the attitude of the team will be what Marcus Smart says it will be. I have a feeling we're going to like it.

If he gets it together on the O side of the ball, we're looking at a very valuable player.

I think anyone who can plausibly defend the 1 and 2, in addition to the 3 on a switch is a seriously valuable player to have in today's NBA anyway, even if he remains the third or fourth option on offense.

The marcus smart hate has always mystified me a little bit.

I would understand it a bit more if he were just a terrible three point shooter, as that would make him much more of a liability offensively, despite his great defense.  But he was a perfectly acceptable outside shooter in his rookie season, with plenty of room to improve.

A superstar he wasn't, and he doesn't have a killer crossover or a lightning quick first step like a prototypical star point guard prospect, but he's already got what he needs to be a very valuable role player in the league. 

Add the fire and intensity he brings to the game, the swagger, the ability to draw fouls on both ends, the willingness to take big shots even as a young guy ... he's pretty fun to watch, star or not.

With all of that in mind, I'm just going to go ahead and say that phrases like "Marcus Banks 2.0" and "homeless man's Tony Allen" are just troll talk.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 11:36:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
With all of that in mind, I'm just going to go ahead and say that phrases like "Marcus Banks 2.0" and "homeless man's Tony Allen" are just troll talk.

Or true ignorance.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team