Author Topic: marcus comes clean on injury  (Read 11879 times)

marcus comes clean on injury
« on: May 29, 2015, 05:42:31 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
marcus states how much his ankle bothered him and is just now better-he was in pain but would not show it or limp.States it really effected explosiveness.Sometimes he had trouble walking on it in mornings
.Both marcus and kelly suffered bad sprains anybody who has had them knows how badly it effects your game coming back,marcus had thoughts of giving up the last half of rookie season.Be nice to see kelly and marcus healthy before judgements are made
.marcus is in waltham working out.

Re: marcus comes clean on injury
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:02:37 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Thanks for the details, TP for you.
Nice to see player like him that never whine and battle hard through pain for the team.
I was already high on him, I'm now "All in" (can't believe I just said that) :P

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 07:50:33 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
"Smart said his workouts have been productive because, for the first time in months, his left ankle is not a hindrance. He suffered the sprain and a bone bruise while attacking the rim on a fast break during a Nov. 7 game against the Pacers. He returned Dec. 3 but was in pain for most of the season.

“I just couldn’t get my regular explosiveness,” Smart said. “It just wasn’t the same. I never really gave it that time to heal on its own. I was always putting more pressure on it and pushing it and pushing it.”

Smart constantly iced the ankle and received electro-stimulation and would sometimes arrive at TD Garden six hours before tipoff to loosen the joint.

“There were days I just wanted to call it quits and have my rookie season be over,” he said. “There were days where it was really bothering me to where I could barely walk on some mornings. I tried not to limp, I tried not to show it, because I didn’t want to be taken out of a game or use it as an excuse. But now I can’t really deny that my ankle played a big part in some games.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/05/28/celtics-rookie-still-smarting-over-season-mistakes/0X4RFJAvZhqnbKV1LONiqM/story.html

Article also mentions that he's working hard and that he can eventually be an All Star.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:06:16 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
those high ankle sprains are scary

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 09:22:05 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
marcus is a great example for young-anybody heard anything about his off season work.
marcus was i think more explosive at very end of season and beginning to get to hoop,looking forward to seeing him with a years experience and with ability to attack rim.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 09:44:17 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Thanks for the details, TP for you.
Nice to see player like him that never whine and battle hard through pain for the team.
I was already high on him, I'm now "All in" (can't believe I just said that) :P
all in for marcus smart, haha

Love the kid!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Do we want him playing through injuries when we're actually a good team again, though?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 09:57:10 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It's good news from the perspective of Smart's potential, but this really makes me question the judgement of our medical staff and coaches. There was no reason that MS needed to be playing through injuries. We're talking about a huge part of this franchise's future - why not give him the time he needs to fully recover?

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 10:02:37 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
It's good news from the perspective of Smart's potential, but this really makes me question the judgement of our medical staff and coaches. There was no reason that MS needed to be playing through injuries. We're talking about a huge part of this franchise's future - why not give him the time he needs to fully recover?

How much of this is a 21 year old exaggerating however?

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I know we have some around here that have doubts about Marcus Smart. They want a star, we get it.
And I understand it, sometimes Marcus looks incomplete on offense. 

But here's a player that wants to be team leader. And backs it up with rock hard defense, and a never back down attitude. In a few years the attitude of the team will be what Marcus Smart says it will be. I have a feeling we're going to like it.

If he gets it together on the O side of the ball, we're looking at a very valuable player. 

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
good points.

my guesses, and they are only guesses, is that perhaps the medical team saw that playing would NOT result in greater injury to the ankle, and, that rest after the season would be sufficient to heal it. therefore, let him play since it carries no long term consequences, but keeps him happy and helps him develop.

second, maybe smart hide the full extent of the injury from the medical staff, downplaying it. therefore the medical staff did not shut him down since they did not know the full extent of the injury.

then again, i could simply be pulling stuff out of my butt right now. maybe it did risk greater injury and maybe they should have shut him down.

[dang]ed if i know.  :P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 10:06:57 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I know we have some around here that have doubts about Marcus Smart. They want a star, we get it.
And I understand it, sometimes Marcus looks incomplete on offense. 

But here's a player that wants to be team leader. And backs it up with rock hard defense, and a never back down attitude. In a few years the attitude of the team will be what Marcus Smart says it will be. I have a feeling we're going to like it.

If he gets it together on the O side of the ball, we're looking at a very valuable player.

I think anyone who can plausibly defend the 1 and 2, in addition to the 3 on a switch is a seriously valuable player to have in today's NBA anyway, even if he remains the third or fourth option on offense.

The marcus smart hate has always mystified me a little bit.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 10:12:36 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Is this an excuse or a reason?

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He was a man, and didn't use it as an excuse during the season.    We all knew the injury bothered him some.  I still think he lacks an elite first step but he plays hard as heck.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 10:25:10 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Either way, Marcus was a wuss getting carted off on a backboard for an ankle sprain
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16