Author Topic: marcus comes clean on injury  (Read 11925 times)

Re: marcus comes clean on injury
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I'm sorry, but it's utterly ridiculous to me that some try to trash Smart after one season. First of all, there's a long history of guys who came into the league as mediocre shooters and improved leaps and bounds over the first 4-5 years of their respective careers. Smart's jumper is not "broken" and I think we saw enough in stretches this year that would prove that. Secondly, the guy is a lock-down, shut-down defender @ the '1' and '2', when the league is considerably guard and wing driven. Oh, and he can switch onto the '3' man when asked to. Thirdly, he continued to improve towards the end of the year, when it came to driving the lane and even posting up from time to time (an aspect of his offense that I think will progress rapidly). He's also a very underrated rebounder from his position, which is a skill that should NOT be overlooked. Finally, how do you not watch this kid and say to yourself, "He does every single thing you look for from someone who is a leader"? His work ethic is unquestioned. He plays practically every possession like it's his last. He's got [guts] for days.

I'm not saying he'll be a superstar, but I do believe the kid is the perfect foundation for the C's. And, in IMO, he'll be an All-Star several times over before his career ends.

Re: marcus comes clean on injury
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2015, 05:19:26 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
marcus states how much his ankle bothered him and is just now better-he was in pain but would not show it or limp.States it really effected explosiveness.Sometimes he had trouble walking on it in mornings
.Both marcus and kelly suffered bad sprains anybody who has had them knows how badly it effects your game coming back,marcus had thoughts of giving up the last half of rookie season.Be nice to see kelly and marcus healthy before judgements are made
.marcus is in waltham working out.

Excuses. Really? You're going to blame your ankle on the fact Elfred owned you last year?  Just trying to hide the fact be was a huge bust last year as the 6th pick. Randle was the much much better pick.

Everyone has injuries that's not an excuse.
In the second half of the season Marcus Smart was a top 10 wing defender in the league. I'm not sure how getting that out of a 21 year old rookie makes him a bust. Payton outplayed him in one game, but Marcus has more upside because Paytons biggest deficiency is a broken jumper.

As far as Randle. His excuse for not playing better is that he was injured for the season. But it's ok for him to have that excuse, because it serves your argument.

He was by far the better prospect in college. It really wasn't even close. Him sitting out the season would have helped the Celtics too. They wouldn't have made the playoffs which means better draft position. Was such a great experience to watch this team get rolled in 4 games.

Also good to see that he is a homeless man's Tony Allen

So he's a 'draft bust', a 'homeless man's Tony Allen', but he's good enough to be the difference between the Celtics making the playoffs or not?

Your logic is questionable.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.