Author Topic: Justice Winslow's Height  (Read 10216 times)

Justice Winslow's Height
« on: May 29, 2015, 01:12:06 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Everyone on here seems to be IN LOVE with him, as far as wanting to trade up take him with the fourth pick. He measured at 6'4.5". That's combo guard size, not small forward, let alone a stretch 4. Emmanuel Mudiay is taller than him at 6'5" for god's sake! I love Winslow's game, but not that height. I think we would cringe every time Lebron posts Winslow up and hits that faraway jumpshot over him.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Re: Justice Winslow's Height
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 01:21:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Everyone on here seems to be IN LOVE with him, as far as wanting to trade up take him with the fourth pick. He measured at 6'4.5". That's combo guard size, not small forward, let alone a stretch 4. Emmanuel Mudiay is taller than him at 6'5" for god's sake! I love Winslow's game, but not that height. I think we would cringe every time Lebron posts Winslow up and hits that faraway jumpshot over him.

I agree. He does have a long wingspan but could run into trouble against taller and just as strong sfs in the NBA.

doesn't have great perimeter skills to be a SG and better suited to guard SFS

I think Winslow will drop a little

Towns
Okafor
Russell
Mudiay
Porzingis
WCS
Winslow/Johnson

Is my guess

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 01:23:11 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
You have to be careful about height in sneakers vs height barefoot.  Winslow is 6'4.5" barefoot and 6'6.5" in sneakers.  Mudiay is 6'5" in sneakers. 

To put it in perspective, Pierce is 6'6" barefoot, so he's only 1.5" taller than Winslow.  Plus Winslow has long arms with a 6'10.25" wingspan and a respectable for small forward 8'8.5" standing reach.

Draftexpress has the measurements for most players.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justise-Winslow-7190/

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
So 6'6.5" with shoes (do they play without shoes?), long wingspan, and stronger than half the SFs in the NBA right now. And more athletic.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 02:10:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Undersized for SF but he is seen as a Jimmy Butler type. As in strong defense and possibly better as a big SG but offense is questionable so keep him at SF.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 02:14:57 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
You have to be careful about height in sneakers vs height barefoot.  Winslow is 6'4.5" barefoot and 6'6.5" in sneakers.  Mudiay is 6'5" in sneakers. 

To put it in perspective, Pierce is 6'6" barefoot, so he's only 1.5" taller than Winslow.  Plus Winslow has long arms with a 6'10.25" wingspan and a respectable for small forward 8'8.5" standing reach.

Pierce has a long wingspan also.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 02:20:41 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Still, Mudiay is a point guard and Winslow is suppose to be a small forward, yet is only 1.5" taller? Small forwards should be a good 6" bigger than point guards.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 02:25:01 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Mudiay is very tall for his position, that's a good bit of the allure. He's also completely unproven, which is why NYK is so hesitant to take him (admittedly in addition to being a poor fit for their scheme and what Melo doesn't want). I wouldn't gamble on him...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 03:48:23 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I do think his size keeps him from being a top 5 pick, which is where some like to slot him.  That said, he's the same height as Stanley Johnson, and he absolutely has the size and length to be a 3 in the NBA.  The with/without shoes is a little silly at times, but you have to remember that listed heights for NBA players in media guides and such are always with shoes, so that's the point of comparison when looking at players he'll match up against in the pros.  Still, LeBron James he is not.

He's a little smaller than James Young, and he really shouldn't be confused for someone who will play the 3/4.  Also, he's only 19 and 2 months, which means it wouldn't be unheard of if he grew another inch.  Furthermore, his standing reach was as tall as any pure SF in the draft (if you think Dekker is more of a 3/4 like I do).  When he puts his arms up, he's plenty tall.  Not to mention, he's pure muscle.  Consider he's 3 pounds heavier than Dekker, who has three inches on him, and yet has a body fat percentage of only 5.3%.  Again, he's young, and it will be hard for him to be impactful in year 1, but in the long run, he has plenty of size to be a starting 3 in this league.

But if you want to draft a player based on size for his position, George Lucas (DePaula) is your man.  He's pretty much the same size as Winslow (6'4.5" w/o shoes), with a 7 foot wingspan, and center-like hands.  And is a PG.  And only turned 19 this past Sunday.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 06:24:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
To me is the next D a Wade in terms of athletic ability and strength .

This guy will impact the game , Wiggins on steroids

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:01 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I was surprised that he measured as small as he did 6'4.5" with out shoes is a decent height for a 2/3 but definitely on the Small side for a 3. His measurements are actually comparable to Crowder who at 20lbs heavier has to rely a lot of his strength to compensate for his height, especially when playing the small 4.

I personally try to always compare all the prospects based on their height without shoes. Looking at some of the measurements guys have a range of height added with their shoes on and bare foot is the most controlled measurement.

More so then his height I worry about the fact that Winslow was at his best this past season when playing PF at Duke. This afforded him mismatches against college PFs. He did have a very good game against Migh St and Brandon Dawson who is a good NBA defensive prospect. I just think the hype train has gotten a bit ahead of the player Winslow actually is. This is not to say he wont be a good pro. I think at his age he will develop and be a very solid starter with the potential to reach fringe all star level. But the D Wade/ J Harden comps seem way out of left field to me.

I dont think their is really any distance between Winslow, Herzonja and S Johnson as SF prospects.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

Still, Mudiay is a point guard and Winslow is suppose to be a small forward, yet is only 1.5" taller? Small forwards should be a good 6" bigger than point guards.

so since mudiay is a typical PG height, inorder to be a SF you must be 6'11" or taller?!?!?!?

rondo= 6'1"  Cp3 = 6'0"  Conley= 6'1"   just a few decent pg's  that winslow is 5-6 inches taller than....

Winslow is just fine my friend. I hope he slides and we can move up and get him!

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 08:20:11 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

This must be why the Bucks traded for MCW. They didn't want Giannis to look weird as a 6'10 SF so they brought in a 6'6 PG.

sorry for sarcasm

Everything is relative at 6'5-6'6 Winslow will not be over matched height wise at the 3. He may have other issues in this game but height will not be a restricting factor.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 08:48:13 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Those are some pretty big shoes...
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Size matters, but some guys play big, and some play small. Pierce is able to play power forward effectively at the end of his career because he plays big. Chris Paul and Kyle Lowry play big, but they are both under 6'. Kevin Garnett was 7'0 but when he took it inside, any contact threw him off. Some guys just have it, and most don't

This is a man's league. Most guys games deteriorate when the defense gets physical, especially in the playoffs. Winslow overpowered guys much bigger than him. He showed over and over that he can force contact, create space, and finish over bigger players. Not many college guys come into the league with skills to play bully ball. This kid clearly has those skills.