Author Topic: Should the celtics find one player to build around and who should it be?  (Read 976 times)

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Two part question.  I'm going to say yes and it should be Kevin Love. Towns and Okafor would be up there.  Thon Maker is too far off in the distance.  We can keep building with lesser players and a team and bringing sully and ko along but I say go for Kevin Love.

The league is different now where superstar players aren't what they used to be imo but having a guy like Kevin Love here to anchor this team inside would be a pretty big deal.

The game is still predicated on stars regardless. I've always kind of been somewhat opposed to that theory too and felt stars are made and you can build other ways.  Pierce never was a fan of trading him because we got better.  I feel the same way about players like Sully.   But we ultimately got KG.

I still have a hard time pulling the trigger on that but I'll say yes and Kevin Love.  I think Kevin Love is that anchor inside.  I don't think he's a number 2.  I think he can anchor a team. His issue in Cleveland is that.  Minny just wasnt a good enough team.

It's either pair him with Kobe or us imo.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:32:49 PM by walker834 »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'll play: Justise Winslow- kid's gonna be an absolute stud
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sure they should find one guy to build around, if they can possibly get somebody talented enough to fit that description.

Your guess is as good as mine as to how they're going to do that, or who that player will be.

Kevin Love?  I see him more as a start toward making the team attractive for the next true #1 guy who becomes available.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I reckon someone like Smart will be a good centerpiece. As for an established superstar type player that is currently a free agent maybe someone like Kawhi Leonard but I doubt SA will let him go. I would also say DJ but I don't think that a center is really a centerpiece in today's game. (although I wish to see DJ on the team)

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
We should build the team around any top player we can get. So if a top free agent (like Love) wants to come here we should build around him. If we can't sign a top free agent then we have to look to the draft for a top player. Then we have to hope either a draft pick becomes a top player (like Smart) or we can trade draft picks and drafted players for a top player (like Cousins).
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah we should find a superstar foh sho. 

I dunno who it will be, though.   Maybe after Stevens bails for a big NCAA program we can get back in the tank race.  When does Thon Maker come out?  People have been posting about him here since he was 14.

We could get stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity for a while.   I'd say we can try building around LeBron James Jr in 2023.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Nerlins might sign with Boston.   He is young , but should be at least a star anyway .

Maker ...is the real deal

He and Davis will have some epic big man battles in a few years.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
It's kind of a tough question but good answers.  I look around the league and there are players I like but finding someone for the celtics to build around is a bit tricky.  I don't know how the celtics are going to build but when the celtics have been good usually they have those guys that become household names.

The celtics have a long storied history like that.  Players we have now could become that  but Pierce, KG, Ray, Bird, Mchale Parish, Havlicek, Cowens, Cousy, Russell.  It's a long storied one.

The Klynyk?  Sullinger? Smart?  Avery Bradley?  They are household names around here already.  We had a nice run last year and I like our players that's the thing.  I like our team but I also feel like something is missing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:14:19 PM by walker834 »