Author Topic: What if nothing happens on draft night?  (Read 2893 times)

Re: What if nothing happens on draft night?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Gerald Wallace is gone either before or on draft night. other than that I expect nothing and hope to be surprised. I still think it's kind of a bad era to be putting an emphasis on using draft picks as assets.

I think most picks worth having most teams aren't trading them if they aren't getting a player worth having(which we have none). and I just don't see a lot of teams valuing picks out of the 10 these days because the talent tends to drop of immensely now more than ever.

i'm just hopeful Ainge is able to work some magic. only way that happens imo though is if a star becomes unhappy and asks for a trade.
If Wallace is moved it would only be a precursor to us signing multiple big free agents or adding multiple big contracts in a trade.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 08:16:49 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
So last year, I think most of us were expecting...or at least hoping that on draft night Ainge would trade one, if not both #6 and #17 to make a pretty big move.  There seemed to be some universal initial disappoint that Ainge just stayed where he was and drafted two more rookies, especially after hearing the infamous "fireworks" talk from Wyc.

So what do we think the chances are that this draft night turns out to be like last years?  I'm not talking in the days and months after the draft, I'm just talking specifically draft night...that we stay in the exact spots we entered with and just draft two more rookies.  How do we as fans take this?  Everyone seems to be in agreement that Boston is in fantastic position to make SOME kind of move on draft night, and after all the hype and for nothing to happen?...that'd be tough to swallow.

It happens, without fail, every year. Especially if you read this blog a lot. Someone says "but mah Ainge promised us fireworkssssS" and someone else says "we're trading up this player is too good." and someone else says "this draft is overrated and Ainge is trading down both rounds to get *Poster's Pet Project #587*."

You can set the atomic clock by this. It's science.

I would disagree this time round, there weren't as many beneficial trade options last year and we have more assets to play with. I can't see anything huge in the offing but I would be amazed if we took four players in the positions we currently hold.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 08:19:34 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
   I'm not as worried about the draft as I am the whole summer. I think going into next season with the same team plus lets say Portis is a big mistake. You'll have a healthy Pacer and Heat team, anything can happen, but another year landing say the fourteenth or fifteenth pic just looks like a step back to me.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 08:23:33 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Gerald Wallace is gone either before or on draft night. other than that I expect nothing and hope to be surprised. I still think it's kind of a bad era to be putting an emphasis on using draft picks as assets.

I think most picks worth having most teams aren't trading them if they aren't getting a player worth having(which we have none). and I just don't see a lot of teams valuing picks out of the 10 these days because the talent tends to drop of immensely now more than ever.

i'm just hopeful Ainge is able to work some magic. only way that happens imo though is if a star becomes unhappy and asks for a trade.
If Wallace is moved it would only be a precursor to us signing multiple big free agents or adding multiple big contracts in a trade.

Yeah, I think using a first round pick to move Wallace is a bad idea. I also disagree, picks anywhere in the first round hold some value. Picks in the teens have landed more talent as of late then say ten years ago with more one and done players. There are more risk/reward players out there, without a top five pick, that's what Ainge needs to look at and what Ainge thought last year drafting Young at 17.

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 08:31:23 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Then you take comfort in the idea that Ainge isn't dumb enough to make a move for the sake of making a move, but will demand actual value.

Winner.  TP.

/thread

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 08:31:54 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
So last year, I think most of us were expecting...or at least hoping that on draft night Ainge would trade one, if not both #6 and #17 to make a pretty big move.  There seemed to be some universal initial disappoint that Ainge just stayed where he was and drafted two more rookies, especially after hearing the infamous "fireworks" talk from Wyc.

So what do we think the chances are that this draft night turns out to be like last years?  I'm not talking in the days and months after the draft, I'm just talking specifically draft night...that we stay in the exact spots we entered with and just draft two more rookies.  How do we as fans take this?  Everyone seems to be in agreement that Boston is in fantastic position to make SOME kind of move on draft night, and after all the hype and for nothing to happen?...that'd be tough to swallow.

It happens, without fail, every year. Especially if you read this blog a lot. Someone says "but mah Ainge promised us fireworkssssS" and someone else says "we're trading up this player is too good." and someone else says "this draft is overrated and Ainge is trading down both rounds to get *Poster's Pet Project #587*."

You can set the atomic clock by this. It's science.
death, taxes, and cb over reaction.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Then you take comfort in the idea that Ainge isn't dumb enough to make a move for the sake of making a move, but will demand actual value.

TP. Unlike most of the other 29 GMs.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 09:28:47 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119

Agreed.  I think Ainge will try and do this regardless.  That report of him during the season willing to part with a first round pick just to get rid of Wallace's contract I feel like went kind of under the radar.  That tells us he really wants to start moving forward with filling up cap space, to start REALLY executing his plan so to speak of making us a contender again.

So we at least know that if Wallace is the first move to go down, it doesn't necessarily mean more moves are going to drop, but it's at least Danny's signal of letting us know that he sure as hell is trying.

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I have premonition .....reoccurring btw...a vision you might say  ;)

KO .......in a Sacramento Kings jersey

I think we get their daft pick