Author Topic: What if nothing happens on draft night?  (Read 2896 times)

What if nothing happens on draft night?
« on: May 28, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
So last year, I think most of us were expecting...or at least hoping that on draft night Ainge would trade one, if not both #6 and #17 to make a pretty big move.  There seemed to be some universal initial disappoint that Ainge just stayed where he was and drafted two more rookies, especially after hearing the infamous "fireworks" talk from Wyc.

So what do we think the chances are that this draft night turns out to be like last years?  I'm not talking in the days and months after the draft, I'm just talking specifically draft night...that we stay in the exact spots we entered with and just draft two more rookies.  How do we as fans take this?  Everyone seems to be in agreement that Boston is in fantastic position to make SOME kind of move on draft night, and after all the hype and for nothing to happen?...that'd be tough to swallow. 

Re: What if nothing happens on draft night?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:42:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Then you take comfort in the idea that Ainge isn't dumb enough to make a move for the sake of making a move, but will demand actual value.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
If we don't make a move we are just being patient and our attention would turn to free agency  :)

I feel like I'll talk myself into whatever happens lol  ;D
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:45:19 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
So last year, I think most of us were expecting...or at least hoping that on draft night Ainge would trade one, if not both #6 and #17 to make a pretty big move.  There seemed to be some universal initial disappoint that Ainge just stayed where he was and drafted two more rookies, especially after hearing the infamous "fireworks" talk from Wyc.

So what do we think the chances are that this draft night turns out to be like last years?  I'm not talking in the days and months after the draft, I'm just talking specifically draft night...that we stay in the exact spots we entered with and just draft two more rookies.  How do we as fans take this?  Everyone seems to be in agreement that Boston is in fantastic position to make SOME kind of move on draft night, and after all the hype and for nothing to happen?...that'd be tough to swallow.

I will be highly upset... in my eyes Danny needs to get another championship run started by 2018.. and the clock is ticking... he can atleast get a good veteran on draft day... Boston is all about chips... pick any [dang] sport... it's all about the chip man.... no doritos... no pop chips... CHAMPIONchips...

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:48:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I am expecting some smaller trades but nothing major.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 05:53:06 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
if nothing happens they we get 4 new players to learn about.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 06:20:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If we don't make a move we are just being patient and our attention would turn to free agency  :)

I feel like I'll talk myself into whatever happens lol  ;D
Honestly this is my biggest skill as a fan.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 06:35:21 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
By draft day I think that we are going to have 2 draft picks, #33, and #45 are going to get traded to move up either the #16 or #28 picks.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 06:37:04 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If nothing happens on draft night, we'll look towards free agency. If the Celtic get no cooperation, there's not much you can do about it, other than over pay and over compensate. We don't want to do that.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
The question should be "nothing major." I don't care what happens, we are not taking on 4 rookies. We may consolidate but I don't see him standing pat.

Now, if we do take 4 rookies (since it's only what if), who are we sending out? We can only take on 2-3 players and we would have to get rid of guys to do that. We can clear out Bass and Babb, then who else for the other 2 spots? Pressey may not be good but you'd be replacing him with another 2nd round pick who may not be able to play at all and at least Press isn't a total bust. Then you have Jae (keeping for sure I think) or JJ.

Who goes? We also have Colton coming over for SL.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 06:39:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It happens, without fail, every year. Especially if you read this blog a lot. Someone says "but mah Ainge promised us fireworkssssS" and someone else says "we're trading up this player is too good." and someone else says "this draft is overrated and Ainge is trading down both rounds to get *Poster's Pet Project #587*."

You can set the atomic clock by this. It's science.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 06:43:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

It happens, without fail, every year. Especially if you read this blog a lot. Someone says "but mah Ainge promised us fireworkssssS" and someone else says "we're trading up this player is too good." and someone else says "this draft is overrated and Ainge is trading down both rounds to get *Poster's Pet Project #587*."

You can set the atomic clock by this. It's science.

Also, the belief that inactivity = inaction on Ainge's part. Takes two to tango in any trade scenario.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 06:54:32 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The question should be "nothing major." I don't care what happens, we are not taking on 4 rookies. We may consolidate but I don't see him standing pat.

Now, if we do take 4 rookies (since it's only what if), who are we sending out? We can only take on 2-3 players and we would have to get rid of guys to do that. We can clear out Bass and Babb, then who else for the other 2 spots? Pressey may not be good but you'd be replacing him with another 2nd round pick who may not be able to play at all and at least Press isn't a total bust. Then you have Jae (keeping for sure I think) or JJ.

Most likely if we're forced to choose and keep 4 draft picks, two will go to the D-league. Colton is a long shot, meaning, he would have to show real well in the summer league to take a roster spot. I just don't see it, as desperate as the Celtics are for a center.

My guess is Danny will play it loose and easy with some of these 2nd round picks, choose young players with the possibility of big upsides, and send them to Maine to continue to develop.
I just can't see 4 new players, all rookies on the C's come fall.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 07:02:17 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Gerald Wallace is gone either before or on draft night. other than that I expect nothing and hope to be surprised. I still think it's kind of a bad era to be putting an emphasis on using draft picks as assets.

I think most picks worth having most teams aren't trading them if they aren't getting a player worth having(which we have none). and I just don't see a lot of teams valuing picks out of the top 10 these days because the talent tends to drop off immensely now more than ever.

i'm just hopeful Ainge is able to work some magic. only way that happens imo though is if a star becomes unhappy and asks for a trade.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:37:24 AM by GreenWarrior »

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Most likely if we're forced to choose and keep 4 draft picks, two will go to the D-league. Colton is a long shot, meaning, he would have to show real well in the summer league to take a roster spot. I just don't see it, as desperate as the Celtics are for a center.

My guess is Danny will play it loose and easy with some of these 2nd round picks, choose young players with the possibility of big upsides, and send them to Maine to continue to develop.
I just can't see 4 new players, all rookies on the C's come fall.

Even if he sends them to Maine, they count against the 15. Players have to be sent out. He could send them over like CI but they have to agree I think.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)